I would love a support group... I'm in the U.S. though (...

Posted , 8 users are following.

I would love a support group... I'm in the U.S. though (Pennsylvania)..Here they call it SCFE..The C is for capitol.My 13 yr old son was diagnosed a year ago and had surgey with complications....I'll post the details...Any help would be great...

so glad I found all of you,there is really nothing on the net.:D

[i:0e01614293]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:0e01614293]

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi glad you think support group is agood idea and realy needed i think ,it is 14 months since my son had the same probs and like your son complications set in we felt there was no info available

surgeons were good but you forget so much so quickly . I think all schools should be aware of this condition my son actualy broke his hip at school they sat him on it and left him i think they thought it was just a sprain , he missed 5 months of school because he was in so much pain he has spent 9 moths in a wheelchair .

I do hope your son is ok would like to keep in contact as they are about same age and both having a bad time jacqui

[i:cf7ae1ada0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cf7ae1ada0]

• Posted

Thanks for commenting back.It feels so good to talk to other parents that are going through this.just wish I was close enough to actually go to a meeting if you guys have one.What complications does your son have?

It would be graet to share info we get from our Doctors.

I read a tip on here to remember what the Dr says at the visits.I'm going to start bringing a notebook with me,the way they talk sometimes is over my head..LOL:D

[i:b30132b3be]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:b30132b3be]

• Posted

my son jordans sufe happened back in nov 2005 , he actualy broke the femeral head through the growth line . He has had pins in and then changed for a smaller but they discovered in april 2006 that he had developed avascular necrosis ,until the 8 of jan this year he was in a wheelchair but now he is back on his feet and waing to have an osteotomy done he has to use crutches still but thats a small price he has lost 5cms in leg length they can bring back appr 3 with surgery the rest will mean every time we buy shoes we will have to allow time for addaptions .

we do not have meetings yet\but if enough interest i think it would be good for our children and their parents as well .

How is your son doingkeep in contactsmile

[i:1c83dc351e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1c83dc351e]

• Posted

[quote:3676fcd761=\"J.\"]Hi glad you think support group is agood idea and realy needed i think ,it is 14 months since my son had the same probs and like your son complications set in we felt there was no info available

surgeons were good but you forget so much so quickly . I think all schools should be aware of this condition my son actualy broke his hip at school they sat him on it and left him i think they thought it was just a sprain , he missed 5 months of school because he was in so much pain he has spent 9 moths in a wheelchair .

I do hope your son is ok would like to keep in contact as they are about same age and both having a bad time jacqui

[i:3676fcd761]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3676fcd761][/quote:3676fcd761]

JORDAN IS NOW DOING REALY WELL AFTER A VALGUS OSTEOTOMY WE KNOW HE HAS TO BE CAREFULL FOR 12 MONTHS BUT HEY LIFE IS MUCH BETTER I WAS IN INTENSIVE CARE FOR 4 AND 1/2 WEEKS SO HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO REPLY JORDAN MADE MY DAY WHEN HE WALKED IN WITHOUT CRUTCHES HE HAD JUST BEEN TO R,N,O,H TO SEE MR NEJAD

IAM NOW GOING TO FIND TIME TO SET UP SUPPORT GROUP I NEED TO FIND A SPONSOR AS I WOULD LIKE TO SET UP OWN PAGE FOR THIS CONDITION ANY IDEAS I HOPE YOUR CHILD IS DOING OK AS WELL

• Posted

i'd love to join a support group for sufferers of slipped epiphysis as well. i don't know where to look online for it.

i had both hips pinned at about 12 yrs old, and i'm now 27. i gave birth naturally three times, but think maybe i shouldnt have because i'm scared i may have caused more damage to my hips. i have alot of pain almost daily, alot of the time it feels like they snap out of place, seemingly for no reason. i'd be very interested to talk to anyone else who had the operation in their childhood and are now adults, are you still experiencing pain? can you run? are you limited alot in movement, exercise? do you need more operations? have you had to have a hip replacement?

does anyone want to start up, or know off a support group?

• Posted

Hi I would also love to join a support group of sufferers of SCFE. At the age of 11 I had both my hips operated on and 19 years later it has restricted me in most of my ROM of the hip that I'm afraid I'll never have kids and live a normal lifestyle. Maybe in this group I would be be able to find other options besides a full hip replacement. Please keep me posted if you find one. Thanks for sharing your story
  • Posted

Hi, I was diagnosed with SUFE at the age of 13. I had the operation to pin the hip back in place and over the next couple of years had 3 more operations. At the age of 20 the pain was getting worse so went back to see the consultant. He said the hip was in such a bad way the only operation to correct it would be a total hip replacement. I'm now 22 and I had the hip replacement December 2007 (aged 21).

Before I had the hip replacement I couldn't run, put my own socks, shoes etc on. I had to get my mam to cut my toe nails. I also couldn't walk long distances as it was too painful. I used to walk with a limp as I had one leg longer than the other after my first operation. Since having the hip replacement they were able to correct my leg length so I now walk \"normal\". I can do pretty much everything I couldnt before and have no pain whatsoever.

I hope this has helped and if you want to know anything else then just ask. X

• Posted

Hi thanks for sharing your story. Can you send me your Doctor that did your hip replacement information?
  • Posted

I would also like to find a support group. Info is hard to come by and it is sometimes nice to know others in the same situation and be able to share. My daughter was on the young side for this condition. She was only 7.5 years old when her SCFE happened. It has been 10 months since she was diagnosed. She had a pin put in the right side. So far everything is going well, no complications. She sees an Endocrinologist now because there are a few conditions that SCFE can be a symptom of. He hasn't found anything, he's still looking. She still has to have the pin removed. And her other side is at risk for years until that growth plate closes. So we still have a lot ahead. Since this doesn't seem like a very active forum I want to post my email address for anyone interested our situation or that knows of a support group. I hope that's OK. I would be happy to share and answer related questions. ****

[color=green:dd4f135240][size=9:dd4f135240][i:dd4f135240][b:dd4f135240](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/b:dd4f135240][/i:dd4f135240][/size:dd4f135240][/color:dd4f135240]

• Posted

I posted my email above and it is not allowed. So I joined the forum in order to be able to PM and email.
  • Posted

I am also in the US Kentucky and my son has this condition ...was diagnosed this past september. He was released Jan 6 to resume to activities and "just be a kid" and about 4 days ago he started having pain in same thigh when all this began. Im a little disheartened and worried that something has gone wrong or that the other hip is slipping.
  • Posted

We are in the US also. I am so glad we are not alone in this! My son is 13 years old & had surgery the begining of January. He has 2 screws in the right hip as that totally slipped & one in the left as it was slipping. The dr. did a good job on the surgery as far as I can tell, but he is not forthcoming about anything. My son is still in pain & the dr. seems to just shrug it off. I will be contacting them again Monday. The dr. made it sound like he would be able to resume all activity after crutches & he can barely move without his legs hurting. He is 6' tall & 140 pounds. He was so active before this with a football in hands always. Fortunatly we homeschool- I don't know how any kid could continue on a regular schedule with that much pain.  When do they feel good enough to play sports again? 
  • Posted

Hi guys, I had my sufe with 2 pins in my right hip in 2011 at the age of 16 and was pretty worried I wouldn't be able to do the sports I love to do but now aged 20 I play rugby 4 times a week and looking to join the army, obviously each case is individual but there is definetly light at the end of the tunnel and I cannot stress how important stretching every day is, massively helps my range of movement and makes me less injury prone due to the shortness of my right leg, also stops daily aches and pains so much so I sometimes totally forget I have pins! Any questions you have regarding your sons and daughters point of view that maybe you cannot ask them etc, i'd be more than happy to answer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.