Iam wondering if anyone can trigger an attack by pushing lightly on the top of your head

Posted , 2 users are following.

I new to this: the physicians believe Hemifacial Spasm is my diagnoses.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Donna, sorry to hear you have this diagnosis.  I've been around on this and other HFS forums for a few years and have never heard of anyone being able to trigger spasms by pushing the top of the head.  The most common triggers are eating, drinking, bright light, cold, talking etc, but we are all different of course.  It's important to ask your doctor for an MRI scan (usually via a neurologist) so that you can rule out the more rare causes of HFS.  Botox is usually the first step if the spasms are at a point where they interfere with your life and ability to do your job or be sociable.  You may also like to join the two Facebook Hemifacial Spasm Support Groups where there is a wealth of information and fellow sufferers of this condition.
    • Posted

Hello Roseann,

Thank you for responding. 

I have had multiple MRI's and CT scans.  I have not been diagnosed with Hemifacial yet. When the last attack locked my jaw and put a muscle cramp in my neck I decided to go to another stated to get examined.  The neuro there said she thinks this is what I have but wanted to consult with other physicians.  They took video of me triggering an attack.

I have been dealing with this for two years and it seems their is not a physician in two states that is diagnosing me properly. 

• Posted

Hi again Donna, I'm guessing you're in the US?  Not sure if you are a member of the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group?  Some people choose to post a video of their spasms there and members give an opinion as to whether it looks like their version of HFS - it's a great group, whether or not you have HFS.  People in the US swear by Dr Sekula who operates in Pittsburgh - he seems to the the US expert in this condition and has worked miracles for many people with surgery.  I know he does Skype consults (armed with an MRI scan) so it might be worth considering doing this.  Sounds like you've really been through the mill, poor girl.  I hope you find a way forward.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.