IBS

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there

Just thought I'd add my say to this debate! I've had IBS for about 7 yrs now, it just came out of the blue. I mainly suffer from bloated stomach (I look 6 months pregnant sometimes) which may stay like that for a whole week, day and night, and also I get really bad stomach pains, almost like contractions (I've had 2 kids!!) so know the pain. Also lots of wind, burping, and some diarrohea, but not much. I find that it never matters what I eat, eg: i can have a sunday roast one sunday, be ok, then the next sunday, I'll eat the same, and have to rush to the loo cos I have bad diarrhoea, so hey, I dont know where I stand with it! I go gym 3 times a week, but this doesnt help one bit. I only take Colpermin or peppermint tablets, but they dont help one bit. I'm wondering if anyone takes anti depressants and if so, if they help? It is getting to the point where it is taking over my life, I get it about 4/5 days each week, mainly wind, pains and now and again, a whole week of bloating, which can ruin a saturday night out!!!

Anyhow, I hope someone can advise which they have found to be useful for the pain really, and bloating? Hope someone can help!! Think I'll make another visit to the doctor hey!

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi - IBS is a real pain in the ass, isn't it??! I've had it for years, know exactly what you mean, you even have to watch what you eat before a night out, like pasta makes you look 6 months pregnant!

I started on colpermin, but rapidly went onto Mebeverine, which is ok, but takes a while to work. Then I discovered Buscopan (you can buy it over the counter as well as get it on prescription, they even sell it at Morrison's) it works really well for me. I know what you mean about eg a sunday dinner ok one week, then the next week you're on the loo again. I kept a food diary for a month, and actually pinpointed onions, curry, and occasionally wheaty things (and Oh God, never eat All Bran!) caused problems, so I avoid these now, and it's not been so bad.

The pains like contractions - I've had 3 kids and they are almost as bad. My kids call them \"bum attacks\" which is a pretty good description, I think, as it is hard to describe where the pain is, in your stomach or your..er..lower regions.

I would go to the docs again, there are far better things than colpermin about. On one of the other discussions, someone said Mebeverine was wonderful and at last she had a flat stomach again, so that may be worth asking about.

Keep us posted! smile

• Posted

I had a perfectly flat tummy last week after snacking on pickled onions in the evening, it lasted 3 days, to be honest it felt better to be bloated as the cramping was a lot worse, hehe you cant win can ya :roll: :lol:
  • Posted

hi nikki jane. i too have had ibs for years. always bloated and sickly. yes the doc has prescribed me anti depressants..only 4 days into them though, we'll see how it goes. hope this helps take care ALY
  • Posted

I'm an IBS Sufferer, and have been on and off for a while. Recently, I've been really struggling with the bloatedness, as I normally have a nice slim tum, but now look about four months pregnant on a good day. I have really bad\"colic\" like pains, and terrible wind, plus I burp a lot too! God, it makes me sound so unattractive, but as I read the other threads, I am realising how prevalent the condition is.

I went to a clinic and had a series of four colonics, plus they advised me to reduce or cut out wheat. So, I did, and to be honest, it worked well. This was about four years ago, and I've allowed myself to slip up and reintroduce wheat...so, right now, I think I'm \"toxic\". Hence, my symptoms are severe. Also, being post-Christmas, I think I may just have done the worst damage, as we all indulge in sugary stuff, and I am no expcetion.

My advice is to try cutting out wheat completely for a good while, drink gallons of water (I drink hot water all day), exercise (for me, this really does help the bloating), and also try to relax. I'm quite a tense person, so I am trying to destress.

If anyone has any tips on dealing with, or managing wind (which is dreadfully embarrassing, but if you don't let it out, it can be really painful and make me feel almost faint), I'd be glad to hear your advice.

And does peppermint tea or tablets work? Also, any comments on Aloe Vera?

Good luck. smile

• Posted

hi caroline. i take peppermint capsules for the ibs...quite effective, from boots their own brand.

hope this helps aly x

• Posted

i know what you mean when your a size 8 a fat tummy is not a good look.

i have found my worse food is sweetcorn if i eat a whole cob i suffer real bad,

but the one good thing is i can not eat as much now, i love food but have way through i start to burp and know i am getting full , not good when we eat out though

• Posted

There are lots of tablets about that are for IBS - I have been prescribed Colpermin, Mebeverine, and Buscopan, it depends on your symptoms. For the wind thing, never take tablets for \"trapped wind\" - if you have IBS they make it worse! (And constipated!)

I'm currently on Buscopan and various herb teas, like peppermint, camomile, and one called \"stomach ease\", which tastes disgusting but seems to help. As for the wind problem, just go out of the room and let it out, the more you fart the quicker it goes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.