IBS Advice?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all - I'm 18 years old and have suffered with IBS mainly for the last 6/7 years (school aggravated the symptoms and made it worse).

After being passed from pillar to post via the NHS, 4 years down the line I was just told I had IBS and what the 'motions' of this was.

Currently, I'm on a cocktail of prescription drugs for this (Omeprazole 2 x day, Dicycloverine Hydrochloride 3 x day and Loperamide Hydrochloride 1-2 x a day). Although this mixture is allowing me to enjoy a life with minimal impact from my bowel, my mum is convinced this is all going to be at the expense of my overall health. I have also been to CBT sessions over two seperate periods of times.

My question is: Does anyone have any less/other conventional methods for which they use/do to treat their IBS? (Diets, excercises, probiotics etc.)

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

The Low FODMAP diet might help to identify any food triggers. Probiotices might also help - both are worth a try, and neither will cause you any harm. 

Jan

• Posted

I am using pro biotics that I got from hollands and Barrett, I still get symptoms but they seem to be not as often and reading reviews on the website it seems to have helped so many people with ibs so may be worth giving them a try, I came off my medication for ibs as a dietitian advised me it wouldn't be useful as I am only 20 to be taking these tablets for the rest of my life I needed to find another way to ease the symptoms

• Posted

I think if your meds are controlling your symptoms, just leave it at that.  It looks as if you have found a way round IBS.   If your meds are not causing you any problems, don't worry about what could happen in the future with them.  The Fodmap diet, and probiotics do help many people but not everyone.  Just stick to what you are doing.

I tried peppermint tea to find out if it was a good substitute for Buscopan and Nurofen.  However, it did norhing for my pain and gave me heartburn.

Does CBT work?

• Posted

When at school, I enjoyed the aspect of being able to go and have a cup of tea if needed - that thought done more for me than the tea itself!

CBT is really good, it gives you a great look in to how anxieties and stresses can and will aggravate IBS and the coping methods and strategies you can use (some of which I've found to work!)

• Posted

That's good!

One of my stress triggers is medical appointments and things often go

wrong if I have medical treatment.  

My IBS was triggered by a dodgy blood test.  I have a number of bumps and bangs that really should be seen to but the fear of something going wrong means that it is better for me to put up with joint pain and now I have IBS on top which flares when stressed.  So avoidance of stressful situations is the best solution for me to keep the IBS at bay.  If I can't avoid a stressful episode,  I keep Buscopan to hand.

• Posted

You might benefit from attending CBT - stress has always been a major factor for me. I've always been a worry guts! But one of the parts to CBT was to take a stressful situation and deconstruct it so that it literally became such a small thing that the rule "don't sweat the small stuff" becomes so applicable!

• Posted

I have Asperger syndrome as well which is why I am prone to anxiety.  I suppose I have got used it over the years but now my colon has finally rebelled. Most of the time I laugh at annoying situations and turn them into limericks since I am a poet.  Even if I initially get stressed at a situation and get my intestine in a twist, I can be sure humour isn't far behind.

• Posted

Diet can affect IBS and you can find explanations of the foods you could try.

My medicine regime is a problem and they effect my tummy and bowel, as my medications are all to do with pain suppression and depression.

My diet I feel may not help We eat a great deal of fruit and veg and I can imagine that may make matters worse.

Try NHS CHOICES that web site may help you, there may be web pages that deal with IBS and there is a Related Information section on the site of this page

BOB

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.