IBS after Gallbladder Problems

Posted , 8 users are following.

Has anyone else had IBS since having Gallbladder removed? I have never had IBS but since having my GB removed I seem to have developed IBS. I still get the pain where my GB was and also in the same place on the opposite side of my abdomen and am beginning to wonder why I bothered. It was great having the 4 weeks off work but having the op to get it was not the best way smile

1 like, 35 replies

35 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ellis, It seems that IBS is the good old standby diagnosis after GB removal I was diagnosed with it three months after my op (4years ago) but after seeing 5 consultants beacuse of Chronic Diahorea I was then told no it's not IBS it's Bile Acid Malorbsation so if I were you and if your having bouts of really bad Diorhea ask for a 2nd opinion because you can get Bile Binders which I take called Colesevelam. When you have your GB removed the bile just drips all the time which acts like a laxative, its worse in some than others 10% to be exact. So dont suffer love see your GP and demand a 2nd opinion xxx  
    • Posted

Cheers sandynan, I have really painful cramps and a mix of diarrhoea and solid so classic IBS symptoms I am told. The buscopan works but could do better really. My GP just agreed with the hospital (I was admitted to a&e after passing out from the cramps) and hasn't even seen me.
    • Posted

That's disgusting Ellis! Yes I get the cramps they are dreadful! Dont give up hun demand to be seen  your only young (looking at your photo) you tell them you can't stand the cramps any more you need further tests I hope you get sorted love xxx

• Posted

Hi Ellis.  Just come back from the doctors as I too have started my IBS symptoms 6 weeks after GB removal.

Unfortunately historically have also suffered from ulcerative colitis and diviticulitis.  So now have pain in my left side and solar plexis. In addition have awful bloating and horrid belching (sulphur) which I suffered with prior to GB op.

Have felt awful and wasn't able to make work today.  Only on a year contract - so what with having 4 weeks off for GB op and today there is no way they will renew my contact.

I do commisserate Ellis.

• Posted

Hi, Ellis, yes.  It's because your gallbladder acted as a valve to store or release bile, so, now, there's no valve in place and what bile your liver makes goes into your system all the time, more when you eat.  If you're having bad cramping it might be your small intestine.  You could try enteric coated peppermint oil capsules for the cramping.  I think it's crazy that the diagnosis is "Bile Acid Malobsorbtion" because it's simply that you have too much bile in your system, now.  No one could possibly absorb it all.  In some people, it happens after your gallbladder is removed.  
    • Posted

Well I think being told you have BAM is better than being told you have IBS patted on the head and told to get on with it! At least they give you something to try and bind the bile which does help! The fact that the bile is dripping all the time and acting like a laxative is the problem which will never go away! People with BAM like myself have been told that  it's 10% of people who have their GB removed who suffer but I think it's more than that. I haven't gone outside the house in 4 years because of it and it took me three of those years to get a diagnosis.
    • Posted

You're right.  But, I wasn't told by the MD that removed my gallbladder that my problems might not go away after surgery to remove it.  I think that my gallbladder stuff started almost 30 years ago--but I didn't have textbook symptoms, so my first diagnosis was IBS.  Basically they said, "Too bad for you."
    • Posted

my god sandynan i really feel for you being trapped in  your house for 4 years.i havent had my gallbladder out yet but reading all the post is quite scary when i read all the problems people are having after the removal process. i hope that you have company and are not on your own being stuck in the house is no laughing matter. its terribel that you cant go out. i wish i could be some help or had some advice to share but alas i do not.so all i can do is send you my best wishes and hope that you can find some way of getting out of the house.all my love sandynan❤️
    • Posted

Awww bless you cheeky xxxx I make jewellery and sell or try and sell it on Facebook so I keep busy and I have my wonderful patient husband I am 70 so it's not like I have a young family having to cope with this but it would be lovely to go on holiday but I can but hope that things improve xxxxx
    • Posted

I hope you get your GB sorted love please don't be put off by me or anyone else everyone is different my neice had hers removed and she fine no ill effects at all! Xxxxx
    • Posted

i know we are all different and its good that you share your experience with otheres even although its not the best of news. they will know that they are not alone, im so glad that your not on your own and have a lovely husband. and make jewellery too. thats great.so now i dont have to worry.🙏💌
    • Posted

Thank you sweetheart it means a lot to get a reply like that xxxx
    • Posted

Thank you.  I can't imagine what you have gone through.
    • Posted

iv now got a date its 11th april. 🤔2016. keep well sandynan xxxx
    • Posted

Aww that's great love keep me informed xx I couldn't keep my appointment couldn't get it of

the bathroom so my hubby rang them for another so I'm now going on the 29th they told him if I miss

Another I will be referred back to my GP!! As if I can help it! Anyway love I hope all goes well for you I will be thinking of you xxxxx

• Posted

yes i missed my first appointment because i was so scared. im ashamed to say, when everyone is waiting but someone else got it as they phoned me two weeks before it was due. and since then i have been seriously ill with nausea so i wll definitely go this time. i feel terrible for being such a coward. i hope no one will be annoyed with me as they are all waiting a terribly long time in england. im in scotland and they are very quick up here. im a very nervouse person and am only a few weeks of anti psychotics and i have high blood pressure which spikes with nerves. im still suffering withdrawels from those tablets i was on. and i feel that they caused me to have the gallstones as i put on 5 stone when i was on them and its taken me nearly two years to slowly cut down from them.im on my own most of the time and get very lonely and thats why i worry about everyone else. but i have to put myself first now. i will go and get this done  as its unbearable. im soaking with sweat and then freezing its a mixture of withdrawels from the pills i was on and also gallstones. thanks for your good wishes. 🌹
    • Posted

Awww so sorry your going through all that on your own love

If your on Facebook my name is Sandra Hanagan if you want to

Look me up. Xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.