IBS and diverticular disease

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm having a hard time at the minute because I'm having one of my flare ups that happen about 4 times a month.

I have been diagnosed with IBS-d and diverticular disease. I'm confident with the diagnosis as I've had all the tests. But IBS-d is managed by FODMAP diet, yet this cuts out so many sources of fibre that the flare ups are most likely the diverticulitis...massive bloating, cramping and diarrhoea.

Any thoughts or successful tips on how I might be able to better manage both?

Jo xxx

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Miss Josefina,

I was only recently diagnosed with DIVI and I think since that diagnosis I've had more issues than ever.  I take a fibre gummie supplement to help increase my intake.  I tried the packets of powder like metamusil but didn't like it at all.  I also switched my white bread, pasta and rice for WW versions.  As for the bloating my GP perscribed me 40 mg of Furosemide a day.  I was only on 12.5 HCTC but it wasn't helping. For some reason my bloating is all in  my right leg.  The cramping is more than likely trapped air.  Try drinking peppermint tea or taking a peppermint supplement.  I find it works for me. 

If your symptoms run towards the divi I'd follow the instructions for that.  At first sign of flare up start doing liquid then after a few days start to introduce easily digestible foods like boiled eggs and mashed potatoes.  Make sure you chew them up really well so that there isn't much work the bowels have got to do to get them through.  Once the worst is over sart to introduce higher fibre foods and stick with them.

Hope all goes well,

Sunni  smile

• Posted

Thanks for your advice, Sunni

My pain and cramping is weirdly on the right side and I'm even getting a weird 'numbness' in my right leg.

I think, when my next divi flare up begins, I'll go to liquids only and handle the symptoms that way.

I think my main problem has been exacerbated because I foolishly took Imodium to stave off a diarrhoea attack last week. The divi symptoms have gone crazy since then?!

Jo xxx

• Posted

Hello trying to understand about the furosemide 40 milligrams, you probably know that is considered a water pill angel take off fluid in the body, bloating is usually as you say air trapping or gas do you have something else going on as in a disease process that he thinks is separate from the diverticulitis or IBS that he's giving you the Formosa made for can actually just be for the leg swelling or do you have other medical problems as in cardiovascular
    • Posted

I have unexplained water retention only on my right leg.  Have had vascular ultra sound but nothing showed up. 
    • Posted

So are they looking into vasculitis lymphoma infection things like that I would hope instead of just throwing you on furosemide that's going to take the water out of your whole body and you're going to have to drink extra water and they probably already put you on water restriction so do you have abs as well because you usually want to drink plenty of water with IBS
    • Posted

have never been told I do. (have IBS) Health care here in Newfoundland can be really hit and miss.  I'm now on a waitlist for my first colonoscopy so honestly, I'm waiting to hear that I probably never had DIVI in the first place.  A lot of people in my family have crohn's so I'm left wondering if this will be the final diagnosis.  I certainly share a lot of the symptoms my cousin goes through.  She's been on the bag for the past 15 years.  But as with most of these bowel diseases the symptoms overlap so who knows...
  • Posted

This is a hard one Jo.

You could try something like Colpermin which you can get on prescription.

This may help with the cramping.

Good luck.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

Thanks Sarah

I've just been to the docs and she's pretty much said the same thing. Although, she's given me a prescription for mebeverine instead of colpermin. Hopefully this helps with the spasms and cramping xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.