IBS and getting worse?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi

I have been treated for IBS for the past 2 years. Im now 50 and steadily getting worse though. At first it was just a coffee or a pint of beer where i would have a dull pain in my stomach to a point now where im constantly with stomach ache. This can come and go but for the past 6 months its daily. Includes back ache, tiredness, achy and sometimes bloody mucus within my stools. Has anybody else had this gradually get worse and have any tips to help? Im on antacid tablets from the docs and have had a Endoscopy with no issues shown in my stomach.

Just fed up that everytime i pop in with pain to which i struggle to walk at times, the Docs keeps informing me its IBS

Many thanks for your comments

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was was told blood in Poop was NOT a sign of IBS. .....more like IBD or other such illness

• Posted

Do you have haemorrhoids or fissures?  That can cause bleeding.  However,  If this is not the case, maybe have a fecal calprotectin stool test or colonoscopy to check for IBD.  Other than that, your other symptoms do sound like IBS.  Symptoms can get better or worse over time and come and go. My IBS is in remission just now with very mild pain.  I have had it for a year and a bit.

Try the Fodmap diet to check for any other food intolerances.

• Posted

I've had IBS from very young (started just before my teens I think), and I'm 48 now. Like lactose intolerance, IBS can get worse. Although, if you talk to some professionals they'll tell you it doesn't. However, I think it really depends on the person, and how well they understand their body. My IBS has gotten worse, BUT!!! Not worse because it's out of control, I'm more sensitive because i'm now older, AND, because their are variances in the foods I react too.

Also, in terms of bleeding. Once, the doctor said he found blood in my stool, but this was because of a lot of pushing I did when I was very constipated. I didn't know really anything about IBS, and the internet wasn't booming then for me to get the information I needed. Check with your doctor.

• Posted

I'm guessing as you are called IBSDiabetic that you are Diabetic?

However you do not mention this in your reply to james.

I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes in May this year.

Sarah

• Posted

Yes..... But I wanted to focus on the article itself. I try to be as careful with my responses as possible. It's not good to inject things that may or may not be an issue. Although Diabetes is a metabolic dissorder, not everybody who has IBS is diabetic.

• Posted

Thank you for your response. No ofcourse not everyone who has IBS is diabetic, I was just interested that's all.

Sarah

• Posted

Similar age and some of your symptoms. Doctor recommended trying the FODMAP diet. I have been on it for about six months and it has definitely helped the constant stomach ache. It is very restrictive but fairly logical when you think about it. Plenty on line about it. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.