Ibs-d

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have ibs-d with being being the main issue. Back story had an endromedriomo spelling not right but they had to surgically remove tissue and the scaring was very close to sphincter muscle. Was informed at some point I may not know if I'm passing gas or pooping. I got pregnant 4 weeks after having my son the diarrhea started add to the weakened sphincter muscle I cannot always make it to the bathroom. That was 29 years ago. After 10 years I finally went to a gastro and she tried the sigmoid scope but my insides were to small and twisted so they had to knock me out to do the colonoscopy found I had a very large pre cancerous polyp to remove it they had to take a fairly large section of my colon out. Now add to the weak sphincter, now the ibsd and add scar tissue in the intestinal track. Try working I worked retail you don't know how many times I had to leave work because I couldn't make it to the back of the store to the bath room. Talking about embarrassing. I took to keeping one change of clothes in my locker and an extra change in the car. I never leave home without taking immodium first. I always have 6 pills with me when I'm going to be gone for more than a few hours. I watch what I eat,I don't drink but 3-8 oz bottle of water the 4 sends me running I also drink 3 rootbeers a day, if I eat fruit I don't eat a lot of veggies, if I eat 2 veggies I don't eat fruit, I've learned my triggers although occasionally they will change on me. I was diagnosed with diabetes 8 years ago and boy these 2 issues are not compatible. So as I told my doctor one day I eat for the diabetes the next for ibs. If I eat what's good for the diabetes the ibsd flares sometimes bad, if I eat for the ibsd the sugar wigs out. Yes they put me on Bentyl never done a dang thing for me. I try to go about living the best I can but I will say this I've been embarrased more than once, and if I eat something I know might set me off I don't leave the house. Immodium I should have stock in as I always have several containers here at the house. Does anyone else have suggestions on the diarrhea and what you've tried to eat or take that helps you?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Peggy

I suffer from IBS for a very long time now. I found that keeping the bowel cleansed and moving helps. I recently started taking prune juice in the morning. It has been helping. Like you immodium is always in my house and in my purse. However I find that if I go regularly the cramps ard less severe. Although I always have an annoying pain on the left side even when I move around. I was given oxys. For the pain when it gets really bad. I only take it sometimes. Even then it does not resolve completely.

Vivian

• Posted

Vivian, I rarely have pain, gas I get often and is usually the beginning of diarrhea run. All I have to do to have a run is drink 4-8 oz bottles of water, or eat a salad, stand to long, eat to many veggies or fruits. My biggest problem with the flares is a weakened sphincter muscle and partial colon removal, excessive scaring is I have no control. You know your stomach rolling, you know what's coming but you can clinch your butt and make it to the bathroom. Well when I get that feeling I have like 1 min to get to the bathroom before I have poo running down my legs. So hence I take 3 immodiums if I'm going to be gone from the house for more than an hour, if I go out to eat, go shopping. And if I go out to eat while I'm gone I take 3 more cause I know I'm going to run if I don't. I have found that if I eat something every 2-3 hours like crackers, half a sandwhich, I have a better chance of not having a run to the potty, but not always. I love watermelon, cantelope, plums  but if I eat more than a small bowl or 1 plum I'm in trouble.  Pain is really a non issue as I rarely have pain but when I do it feels like a knife being twisted in my gut or a hot poker . Those are the days where my backside becomes raw and so sore. I use a&ad ointment and mix corn starch in and make a paste, sit in a tub of warm water then pat dry and slather with the paste. It's what I used on my boys when they got diaper rash gone in 24 hours. 
    • Posted

Hi Peggy

I also have lost some control when I get bouts. Sometimes I don't make it to the bathroom either. Why did you have the partial colon removed? I have diverticulosis also.

Vivian

• Posted

Because the first colonoscopy I had done found a very large black looking polyp, and they couldn't just clip it like they do smaller ones. Bot when they go in there and where it was located they had to remove a good section of it and reattach for good blood flow or risk part of my colon dying and doing another surgery. But it appears that it has caused quite a bit of  scaring that is only getting worse I imagine the last colonoscopy I had done the scope got intangled in the scar tissue they had to let me come partially out of twilight so I could help push the scope out but it tore a piece and 3 days later I was in er and admitted for 5 days it set up one heck of an infection and I was informed to not ever do another colonoscopy I just have the barium tests done. I do have diverticuli which can get inflamed when I eat to many seeds/ nuts. A palm full is all I eat at any given time just the center of my palm. I love sunflower seeds, almonds, pecans. I have developed a sensitivity to all things peanuts I can eat a small Reese's peanut butter cup and be in the bathroom off and on for hours. So I now I avoid them I eat almond butter jelly sandwiches. But u see all the individual issues come together to give me headaches lol.  I can tell most of the time if it's going to be just a normal once or twice diarrhea or if it's going to be 6-7 times. I don't leave my house if I have that kind of episode brewing cause I have had to take showers , wash clothes scrub the carpet change clothes, scrub the floor change clothes on those really bad days. So I take it easy and pop immodiums, I have taken 9 a few times just to slow a really bad day down not even stop it just slow it down. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.