ibs & filtered water

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all.

Ok, so I haven't been diagnosed with ibs or anything but having tests & all my symptoms add up etc.

Anyway, I wondered what other sufferers thought about filtered water? I bought one of the bobble water filter bottles yesterday, & started using it & last night was the worst I've felt in ages & this morning have got cramps & spasms again. Felt great yesterday until the evening, didn't eat anything out of the ordinary, the only thing different was the filter.

I noticed didn't feel right after drinking fybogel mebeverine using filtered water & have been using the sachets for about a week now with no unusual effects. Could the water have reacted with it? Is filtered water not good for stomach issues?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I have a Brita filter kettle but it makes no difference to my IBS.  However, what affects one person may not cause any incident with others.  I see you tried Mebeverine.  This is a known stomach irritant. I was prescribed it while waiting for diagnosis and I felt fifty percent worse. I developed severe indigestion, worse constipation and lack of appetite within minutes of taking it.  I found Buscopan much more effective with no side effects.

I would try coming off Mebeverine and filter water and see if your symptoms improve.  Eliminate each of them separately to find a pattern.  It may well be Mebeverine is the culprit because water helps to relieve constipation and other symptoms.  If anything, it is non filter water which is full of chemicals that could pose problems because filter water gets rid of toxins.

• Posted

Hi philippa, are those drugs antispasmodics, I also just moved and have a well just had it tested for everything pesticides, ecoli , heavy metals and it all came back excellent and better than city water and probably from what I read most bottled water. I have read if I put a good undercounter filter on it and get rid of all the cyst or organic matter and tested that I will probably have the best water around. I have read that RO water is not good for people to drink there are no minerals and it is acidic. The pH level of my water is 8 to 9 which i think is good for the body. They say as long as you're well is flowing and has no brakes in the line which mine does not that it should not form any bacteria.
    • Posted

Hi philippa, thanks for your comment.

The mebeverine is mixed with the fybogel sachet & has seemed to help with the cramps & constipation this past week so don't think that is the problem at the moment. Odd how it just happened when using the filter for the first time. Think will try the filter again at some point & see if I get the same effect.

Hope it's not this as drink alot of water & would love to get rid of the nasties

• Posted

Buscopan and Mebeverine are anti spasmodics.  The water we have in Britain is full of chemicals such as chlorine, and fluoride which makes the flavour rather unpleasant.  That's why I have a filter kettle.
    • Posted

Ok thanks, also i have a constsnt low feeing of tension or slight pressure just in or under my stomach, no pain just like a mild stich in my left upper quadrant. What u think.
    • Posted

My stomach discomfort can vary hugely.  I have had sharp, stabbing pains, stitch like sensations, sore to touch pain and dull to deep grinding pain.  The pain can concentrate on one area of my stomach or become generalised stomach pain.  I have had pain in my ribs and even my back.  Has your doctor suggested IBS?  My doctor diagnosed me with Irritable Bowel.  I have  constant pain which is manageable without Buscopan and painkillers most of the time.  I had three bad flare ups last year which were all caused by stress.
    • Posted

Yes pretty much after all the testing they sounded up to ideas which of course is bass voice saying you have a digestive disorder of some kind and we don't know exactly what it is yet. So, thanks for that I guess mines just a constant dog pressure which I guess on the large scheme of things is a lot less than what many have take car and e talk to you soon

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.