ibs or ibd? Worrying about what i could have.

Posted , 8 users are following.

I have been having my stomach/bowel problems for a while now and i thing i have either ibs, ibd or possibly even celiac disease.

My GP has referred me to a gastroenterologist and i have been worrying myself to death thinking about what i could have.

I just want to know what to expect when i get tested and i just wondering if anyone else had similar symptoms and what they were diagnosed as.

My symptoms include:

Costipation/Feeling i need to go but can't

Foul smelling feces/gas.

Mucus in Stool/toilet paper.

Gassiness/Bloating.

Stomach pain/Cramps after eating, that sometimes goes away after bowl movement.

Hemorrhoids

Unfinished bowel movement feeling

Tiredness(could just be from depression)

Tooth Abcess

Feeling Off

Depression/Anxiety/Irritability

feces always different in size, colour

Stomach pain commonly followed by lower back pain

My GP put something up my bum to look in there (i think it was a anoscope) and she said their was redness.

I have been having all this symptoms for a few years and they are only getting worse.

I am seeing the gastroenterologist soon but i just wanted to know what all you people who have exprienced symptons like me thought.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I have some of those symptoms. I introduced a magnesium tablet into my diet and my constipation eased. I might miss one or two days but rarely more than that. I still have a number of unresolved issues too. I was tested for celiac. I'm not, members of my family are. I've reduced gluten in my diet and bloat less., I'm not regimental as I'm not celiac but it seems to help. I have gord. I take 1liquorice root dgl which helps. Sorry I'm rambling. Good luck, I'm also waiting colinoscopy....3nd in 5 years. I know how you feel though, it's all so frustrating.

• Posted

Hi I have quite a few of your symptoms and have had problems for many years and tried lots of different things.  Recently I read about food intolerances and IBS so took a test with York Laboratories, it showed I was intolerant to cows milk and yeast.  I had a 30 minute phone consultation with one of their nutritionists who was very helpful and have now started on my new diet together with a probiotic.  I'm still in my first week so I will see how it goes but already my tummy is less bloated.  The test isn't cheap but if it works it will be worth it.

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like IBS.   I have IBS and have experienced some of the symptoms you have.  However, everyone experiences IBS differently.

To check for IBD, ask for a fecal calprotectin stool test.  This measures inflammation levels.  If they are high, this may indicate IBD which can be confirmed by a colonoscopy.  If you have IBD, bleeding is common.

• Posted

Your symptoms are typical of ibs, but to rule out ibd you need a colonoscopy and to rule out coeliacs a blood test and possibly endoscopy. Your gastrointestinal will organise these.
  • Posted

I have had and do have all of them.

Except tooth absuss. Though I have sore gums.

I also can suffer from slight reflux...and lots of wind and burping.

I have found peppermint all capsules help lots and lots

• Posted

I answered a similar question to this in another post in this forum.........

For years i had similar problems.............turned out to be .......

Lactose intolerence...........a simple test is to stay off all dairy 

prodicts.............even  anything that contains milk solids , such as cake mixes

etc..(always read the contents list)  for a few weeks.......

nothing ventured ..nothing gained.........you never know...........

Now i only use Lactose free dairy foods and all is good.

......................Billy......................

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.