IBS or something else?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Recently been told I have ibs by my doctor. Had symptoms for a couple months now they are stomach pains, bad indigestion, a lot of wind both ends, heart burns now and again my stomach is uncomfortable to touch, I was just wondering if anyone knew if this is ibs or not? I don't have a change in bowel habits at all don't get constipation of diarrhoea. And food doesn't effect/ trtrigger anything could do with some advise as I I'm confused as I thought these were big ibs sytoms or am I wrong? Thanks very much in advance

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Can I also add have been given colofac / mevberiene (if that's how u spell) tablets, to take once before each meal before taking these the pains were stronger been on them 2 months now still have pain throughout most the day uncomfortable but not as bad as it was help?
  • Posted

I haven't heard of anyone with IBS who does not get bowel habit changes.  I would still trust your diagnosis but ask your doctor about this. However, everyone is different.

Your other symptoms do sound like IBS.  I get heartburn, constant stomach pain. constipation, and sometimes loose stools and nausea. Food doesn't affect me either but stress does.

Anti spasmodics have varying degrees of success because once again no one person is the same. They tend to reduce pain but don't get rid of it entirely.  I was put on Mebeverine while waiting for diagnosis. I was told they were very good, but for me I felt 50% worse.  I felt as if I had swallowed a stone after the first tablet, I was aware of digesting my food for an hour, my constipation got worse and I developed lack of appetite.  I began to panic when I went off my food because this was a new symptom.  I had to throw them out before I finished the first slide of tablets.  I have since found out that they are a known irritant particularly to the stomach.

I tried Buscopan and painkillers when I have bad flare ups and they are non irritant and they work.

• Posted

Look up on this IBS forum and also the RLS forum and read about the Monash University FODMAP diet then ask your doctor for advice about it.     It seems to be not well known to many doctors so its worth following up.

Good luck

• Posted

I would also suggest going on to the IBS Network site they have a lot of very helpful information, they also have a Facebook page too, they are so lovely and very helpfull xx
  • Posted

It is presumed your GP has carried out tests to exclude any other cause of your symptoms. Although you haven't noticed any link between diet and symptoms, this doesn't exclude food / drinks as a possible contributory factor.  As a start, it might be helpful to look at your eating habits e.g. portion sizes, speed of eating (eating fast can lead to air swallowing and consequential belching, tummy discomfort, etc). Classic 'windy' foods, which you're probably already aware of, include garlic, onions, beans and cabbage.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.