IBS or Something Else?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello everyone,

I recently posted another thread on this in a different section of the forums under abdominal pain, but I wanted to post my story here to hopefully get some different feedback from people.

I'm a 23 year old male and have been experiencing lower left abdominal pain for the past 6 months. It's a little coincidental seeing as how the pain started developing right after I graduated college. I have been having really bad anxiety for years, but it's been at it's worst recently since I am unemployed and looking for a job. The pain I am experiecing seems to be the most noticeable in the morning. I wake up and press down just to the right of my left hip bone and the best way to describe what I feel is a hard bone like muscle or something that is distended inside my abdomen. When I do press on this area, I feel immediate pain. I do not get this same type of feeling on the right side of my abdomen, nor do I feel a distended type of muscle on that side. The best way I can describe the pain is a more of a dull-achey feeling rather than sharp stabbing pain, but it's definitely noticeable. Even if I don't press in the area, I can still feel that something isn't right. It does however feel temporarily better with a bowel movement, but gradually gets worse as the day goes on. Lastly, I do notice when I press on the affected I hear like a sound liquid moving around in there, or it may be trapped gas?

I've had a colonoscopy, upper GI done recently and those came back clear. I have also had a a CT scan several months ago, also came back clear. The doctors said they saw no signs of Ulcerative Colitis, Crohn's or Diverticulitis and are diagnosing this as IBS.

While I feel I do suffer from IBS, I can't help but feel that they missed something. Keep in mind that this pain never stops, I have it 24/7. Is this something that IBS can do? I've also tried being on different meds such as Nortriptyline for the pain, but that didn't help. Is this any other meds that I could possibly try? 

I have been taking 20mg of Prilosec (Omeprazole) for about a year due to having issues with Acid Reflux. I talked with my GI doctor about being on Prilosec long term and he said that it would have no harmful effects. I have been doing research online recently and have found that prolonged used of prilosec could be detrimental to your health, so I am not really sure what to do here. Has anyone else had abdominal pain while taking prilosec? I have tried weaning myself off my taking Prilosec, but unfortunately I had such severe rebound acid reflux that I was forced to go back on the medication. What do you guys recommend I do here? Stay on it, or try a different method to wean off again?

I have always had this issue, but it as become worse over the recent years. I am also taking a probiotic. I have been taking the probiotic for about a month now, but haven't seen any significant improvement for the pain in my abdomen, but it is helping me have bowel movements more frequently. 

Also, recently I've been having trouble with my left ear. I have to constantly keep using the valsalva manuever popping it for it to remain "open" and it feels sore deep inside. Does this have anything to do with the abdominal pain that I've been having or is this a separate issue?

Has anyone else had similar experiences? If so, please share and if you have any advice I would love to hear it.

I really appreciate everyone's time to help. I would just love to be out of pain. Thank you so much!

-Ryan

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Ibs just means unexplained stomach pain. I take buscopan for the ibs, 2 x 4 times a day. I take omeprazole for acid reflux. I found the best probiotic for me was an wheat based liquid form. Very expensive but worth it. I now take it after having antibiotics or any other major stomach illness.

During the night your bowel and stomach movements can alter drastically and some things can make it worse. Caffeine, what or dairy can have a negative effect. I tend not to eat too close to bedtime. I don't have any dairy in the morning and if I am having any problems I don't have any dairy at all.

Taking something out of your diet for a number of weeks can show up if your stomach is reacting to it.

Having less complex fibres can help. Things like peach skin are really hard for your stomach to digest. I use a centrifugal juicer which just leaves in the less complex fibres.

The other thing to check is if you have any other illnesses. Ibs is often a symptom of something else. The right side pain can be gallstones. I have chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia which both have ibs as a symptom.

Stress has a huge negative effect on your stomach. I crochet to help relax myself and relieve my stress. You need something that stops you from thinking and you can focus on that is relaxing.

I used to take amitriptylene but it caused issues with my heart. Another nerve pain blocker is pregabalin or gabapentin

Hope this helps.

Sue

• Posted

I'm suffering from the exact symptoms you've described - I'm at a loss as to what to do, so I'm afraid I'm no help at all - just wanted to let you know you're not alone.  The pain is unbearable, and attacks come out of nowhere - I've made countless trips to the hospital, and they pancreas level is sky high - no matter -  I have found they either treat you as if you are imagining the pain, or put you on painkillers, which don't solve the prolem at all.  They keep claiming it isn't the pancreas though.   I'm in Canada, and wondered if you are as well, or if you have a better health care system where you are (??) Please let me know if you find any better solutions.

• Posted

I'd forgotten to mention that they claim I don't have IBS - I suspect that they are wrong.

• Posted

Your symptoms sound like IBS.  The pain can be constant; that's the way my IBS started.  When everything is ruled out, IBS is diagnosed.  All my tests were negative too.

• Posted

I agree- my neighbour has IBS and her symptoms sound like yours - everyhing else was ruled out before IBS was diagnosed.  Awful to go through.

• Posted

Have your doctors made any suggestions as to what you might have?
    • Posted

Unortunately, in 14 months, all I've been told, is 'good news' we've ound nothing wrong!  Then more tests, etc. !

• Posted

I would change my doctor to get a diifferent opinion.  I saw a number of doctors before I got diagnosed with IBS.  No answers after 14 months is no good.
  • Posted

Forgot to add that I don't know what your ear trouble could be.  Perhaps ask your doctor about that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.