Ibuprofen injection

Posted , 4 users are following.

I saw a consultant yesterday who after looking at my xray of my knee decided it wasn't bed enough to have surgery so gave an injection. He was very vague about how long the injection would stop/help my pain and that one the anaesthetic wears off the pain would get worse before it gets better but did not say how long for. Have you had that experience? I was also using an Ibuprofen gel regularly before so wonder if I can still use until the pain improves. Anyone out there?........

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi vivb, I haven't heard of ibuprofen injections, but before my surgery my surgeon gave me a big injection of cortisone, it was brilliant & I did feel I didn't need the surgery, but in the end I did , as it only deadens pain for a while.the waiting time for surgery at my hospital is 18 weeks, & I think he thought it would help me during that time, which it did. I think If you have bone on bone , it will never get better without surgery. Good luck

• Posted

Thanks eileen15268. I am post op 7 months after my replacement hip but knee issues are on same leg. Consultant didn't think it was bad enough for a knee replacement so keeping fingers crossed that injection will work. Cortisone is a steroid I believe but Ibuprofen is not? Regards.n

• Posted

Good luck vivb, i hope your injection works , it would be good if you can manage without more surgery, I am sure they will keep an eye on you , best to see how it goes .
  • Posted

Since you have already got the shot let us know how it works.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.