Ideas for quick easy meals?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone smile

Just wondering if anyone could let me know if you have a 'go to' meal on your bad days when there's no one to cook for you.

I'm trying to eat as healthily as possible but it's so difficult when I'm exhausted. The other night I felt awful but I was so hungry I felt sick, so I had a block of cheese and a yoghurt for my tea! Not really ideal.

Alternatively, has anyone tried any nutritional shakes? I think those would be ideal for the days when I suffer with my appetite.

Any ideas would be appreciated smile just want to stay as healthy as I can!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi Ellie. i understand your dilemma. it happens frequently.  wondering if you have a freezer that you can stock with cooked foods when you are able to do that. 

C

• Posted

We have a battered fridge/freezer at the moment, the freezer freezes over frequently. Definitely need to look into getting a proper one smile thanks!
  • Posted

Hiya

I have been in that situation : hungry but too tired to move.

I use my oven a lot to cook. Roasted veg ( buy pre- cut veg). Meats: just put everything (seasoning, stock cube etc.) with the meat/chicken in a casserole dish, put the top on and bake. No standing at the stove and the sauce is made at the same time: chicken in Pesto sauce, curry chicken or whatever. If desired thicken your sauce.You can even buy frozen onions and garlic.

Also like the reply said, using your freezer is good. Cooking extra and freezing it can see you through those 'I'm so tired I can't move days'.

Good luck.

• Posted

I'm another that uses the freezer and believes that it's the most useful thing I have. On my better days I cook batches of my favourite meals, Casserole, Curry, Chilli Spag Bol or the like, all of which are tasty nutritious and easy to make and then I can just reheat when I'm feeling low with some easy to cook rice or pasta and hey presto, comfort food when you really need it. biggrin

• Posted

Hi Ellie,my nan used to have a go to meal when she was having rough days,wernt bad and you can get pretty healthy meals too,good luck.
  • Posted

Hello Ellie, I hope you are feeling not too bad today.  I recently started eating as much raw veg as possible so lunch could be a tomato or two plus a chunk of cucumber or peppers.  I try to bake a batch of savoury pancakes to which I add cooked veg and then freeze which I'll then have with my veggie lunch/dinner or sometimes add a baked potato with a bit of cheese.  Baked potatoes area  favourite of mine.  If you have any leftovers such as bolognese sauce, casseroles etc and freeze these they can be added to a large potato for a good and healthy filling meal.  Fruit salad is great for me when I don't have much appetite - quick, easy and you know it's going to do you good.  Good luck and take care.  Mo
  • Posted

I live on my own so never anyone to cook for me, I live by the microwave and the freezer when I am not feeling great because its much quicker. I don't want to be hanging around in the kitchen or forget I have left something on. Lots of frozen vegtables, only take a few minutes in the microwave and I grill a lot of food. Salmon is good and quick and if feeling really bad open a packet of smoked salmon, much cheaper than meat.
  • Posted

I just eat some almonds and a dried apricot or two. It's really easy to prepare and easy on my stomach.
  • Posted

Hi Elle,

I'm wheat and dairy free so an added bonus! Also vegetarian so my choices of easy quick food are limited. My "go to" is Chinese instant rice noodles with braised tofu as the tofu has protein in. Shake wise, I do smoothies instead if I have them in. Have you heard of v8? Its a veg juice thats quite tomatoie and good for vitamins and minerals. Its long life too which is useful.

Hey, dont knock your cheese and yoghurt meal! plenty of calcium and protein in that : )

B

• Posted

Hi Ellie,

Sometimes i drain a tin of canellini beans and put it with some mozerella (preferably, although i rarely have that in and i know it's not the done thing but personally i use cheddar instead), add a few cherry tomatoes and fresh basil if you have it, dried is fine too for ease.  It's not the most flavouorsome thing in the world so if you have a salad dressing you use I would add that too, but its better than nothing. 

I do a similar thing with tinned tuna, spring onion and chopped peppers.

If I can't be dealing with any chopping at all, I will just bake a whole sweet potato in the oven and eat that, if you want a bit of extra flavour butter and nutmeg go really well with it.  

To be honest though if i'm so exhausted or its too warm to have the oven on, I will just open a can of baked beans and eat them cold.  Let's face it, if a week of eating freshly prepared food still leaves me feeling run down by the end of the week (or even the beginning!) i'm not going to worry about eating something that's not the healthiest option, although I appreciate not everyone tolerates beans well so sorry if that option's not helpful 

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

I like your suggestions as they all have protein in them, so a good "go to" when you're feeling flat : )

B

• Posted

oh thanks Beverley, sorry wasn't ignoring you, i didnt see a notice in my email of your response, only saw this as I was coming on to look at Alexi's comment, another good option that I didn't even think about, love omlette!
    • Posted

Hi kirsty,

No worries, think the site sometimes doesn't send email recognition of messages : )

To add, I've recently bought packets of microwave Brown rice to 'go to' when i really cant do anything better. Eating well with this can be a real pain so its good to get new ideas. Omelette seems too big on a bad day but, I've made a big frittata and popped in the oven

B

• Posted

Meant to say- make that on good days and put in freezer but it sent early!
    • Posted

I was only complaining a few weeks back that quick cook rice always seems to be white, haven't seen brown before, I will keep my eyes peeled next time i'm shopping smile

ahh now there's an idea, whenever i make frittata i end up eating it for 2 or three days on the run, never thought of freezing it, i think i've always assumed it couldn't be, but i don't know why i thought that, sounds silly now i'm saying it.  I like making the mix in a jug and then pouring it into muffin trays, they actually puff up like muffins too

• Posted

Hi Kirsty,

The ones I got are Sainsburys own and also have brown basmati rice : )

Btw, I never thought to make individual frittata, I make it as a tray bake and cut into squares to freeze. I'll have to have to have a go.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.