Idiopathic Intercranial Hypertension

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm a 24 yo female.

Migraine with aura started 3 years ago.

Aura symptoms include, but are not limited to bright zig zags, one sided face, head and arm, visual dark patches, ect.

2 weeks ago, my left body went totally numb and I could not use my hand. Blurred vision occured, then sudden "out of body" feeling, then headache. The worst headache of my life. It's still here but it is dull.

I keep seeing flashes of light, imaginary lightning strikes, black dots (floaters), blurred vision out of left side of left eye, darkness.

Right eye is permanently unusable (I only see a blur out of it, always have)

Visual disturbances come and go.

Blurred vision is regular.

Nausea is almost daily.

Night sweats, waking up 5-10 times a night, every night.

Pulsating in ear occasionally, ringing often, muffled hearing often, total loss of hearing in one ear is occasional.

I keep hearing and feeling what feels like fluid being squished/squirted at the base of my skull/neck.

I started stuttering occasionally in the past 6-8 months.

Constant exhaustion, anxiety and pain.

I need help.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Iship13! I know the feeling you're talking about. I had that feeling for 3 weeks in Oct '12, then it switched to a different horrible feeling.  One question, do you feel better lyng down? Or does your head hurt worse when you lie down?  

I ended up with intercranial hypOtension. I didn't know what it was, but it was caused by a spinal fluid leak!!!! It was a spontaneous thing.  I had a blood patch and was fine for 13 months.  Since Jan '14, I've been experiencing a milder version, but still debillitating.  I've had 3 more blood patches and feeling a little better each time, but still can't exert myselt and have a constant head pressure. Yes, every day, ALL DAY!

Have they done much testing on you?  

I'm waiting on a call to get in to a Dr at Duke. She seems to know what she is doing!! I'm 13 hours away from there, but she will be worth the trip. I hope.

• Posted

Hello did you go to Duke? Im at Duke. I had a few procedures today.
    • Posted

Also mine is intracranial hypertension. High pressure in the brain. Ive been bedridden 7 months. So many drs and hospital visits. Where i live they dont know much about it . Ughh
    • Posted

I haven't gone yet! My appointment is set for Oct 15!!! I'm excited and scared.  What procedures did you have done and which doctor, if you don't mind me asking.  I can't take Diamox because my problem is opposite of iship13.  It will make my head pressure worse.

I'm praying iship13 has found a doctor to take care of her problem.  It sounds to me she is in high pressure from her symtoms.  The good thing about that, doctors listen to patients with INCREASED pressure. They don't listen when a person has pain from DECREASED pressure.  

• Posted

I understand. Have you been on diamox yet?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.