If a pituitary tumour spreads to the optic nerve does it cause instant blindness?

Posted , 3 users are following.

My stepson now has a tumour for the second time which may have to be taken out soon.  If he decides not to have the operation and the tumour spreads to the optic nerve would blindness come gradually or instantly?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Victoria, had a single tumour removed and thankfully it hasn't come back, yet. The tumour will press on the optic nerve and impair vision.

The vision loss is gradual, and in my case the effect was not permanent. Within a week or so my vision was back to normal, my visual fields returned and have been fine ever since.....just over 3 years now.

So I don't believe vision loss is sudden or necessarily permanent, certainly not in my case.

• Posted

Hi esc4p3

Thank you for replying and telling me your experience of visual loss.  That is what I wanted to know.

I do hope that you do not have a recurrence of a tumour.

• Posted

HI Victoria,

my brother had a tumor on his pituitary gland. It was left untreated for a year due to misdiagnosis and wrapped around the optic nerve and lost all peripheral vision an has double vision. He had 2 surgeries to remove the tumor. It has been 10 months since his surgeries and has not gained any vision back. This is something you don't want to wait on. he also lost all short term memory. The longer you wait the harder it will be for his recovery. 

• Posted

Hi Joann

I am so sorry that your brother was not diagnosed correctly and that he still cannot see nor remember things.  I shall pray for him.  My stepson is going to see the anaesthetist next week but has no date for the op yet.

Thank you for replying.

• Posted

HI Victoria,

I wish your step Son the best and he will be in my prayers too.. Keep us up dated.

God Bless

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.