im going through the menopause and having nosebleeds

Posted , 6 users are following.

hi just thought i may feel better if i share this .....going back to january i start to have nosebleeds..very frigtening and was in hospital three times with a pack in..i found the whole experince terrifing...im 46 ...never had a nosebleed in my life..and the packing is awful..i would rather give birth...i had a ct scan done but turns out nothing wrong with my nose!! then after bloods taken i was diagnosed with going through the menopause...im on hrt but am suffering so badly with anxiety and panic attacks....i dont really sleep much and am in constant fear of the nosebleeds happening....the last one was in may,,then yesterday i had another one....thankfully not in hospital this time...its left me an emotional wreck....i think i have cried for hours now and am so scared as im alone as my husband is working...dont know what to do....got to see my gp tomoz but i feel im going mad and noone understands....anyone else going through this???

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

What sort of hrt, is it oestrodiol patches or daily gels?  Swap oral tablets for the patches - tablets are not bio-identical and cause problems.  Are you getting enough?  Hrt usually reduces anxiety and depression.

Ask for an Iron Studies/Panel test to check your ferritin levels, not just your iron levels.

Also be tested for Vit B12 and Vit D, especially if you are already taking supplement tablets - they may not be working for you.  If low, B12 injections best and D3 forte drops most effective.

• Posted

hi im on a gel wich  you rub in to skin called sandrena...i thought it was working but then the nosebleed again and this terrible anxity....im literally left with a feeling of dread ..knotted stomache and my nerves are all over the places..i think more the fear of nosebleeds?? im taking menopace aswell....hankyou for repling  helps to talk
    • Posted

I use Sandrina gel to supplement the patches which don't seem to last the amount of time stipulated.  So I use a patch every 3 days, then gel on the 7th day, or if I suddenly get a wave of anxiety or depression.  It is a sure sing that my body does not have a sufficient amount of oestrogen.

Don't forget to get the Iron Studies/Panels done - very important.  Might show why you are getting nosebleeds.  If these levels are normal, regularly donate blood every three months.  This stopped my husband's constant nosebleeds.

• Posted

i will menchone that to doctor tommorrow,,,,not sure if theyve done that alredy as ive been hospitalised three times with nosebleeds....but again thankyou any info is greatly received at the minute...ooh sorry your husband gets nosebleeds not fun to live with...x
  • Posted

Thats the way i was all winter last year nose bleeds but it was alway my left nostril my right one did not bleed that much it was more from the left and than cold after cold sinus problems and everything
  • Posted

saw doctor today been prescibed beta blockers and diazapan and a trip to see a councellor...a;ll this over nosebleeds!!! ive had two bleeds today not good....it goes like this i will have 3 in aweek then nothing for 2 to 3 months......just dont want to go in hospital and have the packing again horrendous...has anyone heard of vacarious menstration??its when you are due a period but you bleed through your nose instead .....all very odd!! hope the betablockers work????
    • Posted

Yeah, sounds really weird - why on earth do earth do they think these things can be solved psychiatrically?

My son got nose bleeds at an early age, and a blood vessel in his nose was treated by 'burning' it.  Can't think of proper terminology.  The blood vessel was so close to the surface of his skin in his nose, it kept bleeding.  Have they investigated the real source of your nose bleeds?

Also, try donating blood regularly, it stopped my husbands nose bleeds.  Maybe it was a concidence but nothing else worked.

Beta blockers did terrble things to me (I have haemochromatosis).  It dilates the blood vessels allowing excess iron to get into my brain.  Never going there again.  Do you have high blood pressure?  Beta blockers are for high blood pressure and arrythmia.

• Posted

Hello?

yes we're all out here feeling totally mad too lol

and I know what you mean, my GP (most unhelpful), work colleagues friends and even family, I feel like a hypochondriac

However< i know this is real................................................

tonight it's wierd sensations like shivers, creeping under the skin, can't explain it but it's really awful

i've had so many strange feelings with the change redface

all i can say sandra is your not alone, believe me hun

nite xxx  i="" know="" this="" is="" real................................................="" tonight="" it's="" wierd="" sensations="" like="" shivers,="" creeping="" under="" the="" skin,="" can't="" explain="" it="" but="" it's="" really="" awful="" i've="" had="" so="" many="" strange="" feelings="" with="" the="" change redface="" all="" i="" can="" say="" sandra="" is="" your="" not="" alone,="" believe="" me="" hun="" nite="">

tonight it's wierd sensations like shivers, creeping under the skin, can't explain it but it's really awful

i've had so many strange feelings with the change redface

all i can say sandra is your not alone, believe me hun

nite xxx >

• Posted

hey...you most certainly arent a hypocondricac......i know ...thats why i joined this site to make sure i wasnt going mad....each day brings a new thing .....my worse being the nosebleeds.....worse one four hours i  was left in a n e....on a chair bleeding....then i went into shock...thank god my husband knew what to do....i get them randomaly now..but scare the sh*t out of me excuse the language....yes ive had the crawling skin...i think i scratched so much imy arm bleed....today pins and needles in left hand and arm....backache and shattered.....deep joy ...what does tommorrow hold??   thanks for your message ....xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.