Im new to this im 37 years old had a bilateral spinal fusion on the 13/2/2016

Posted , 8 users are following.

hello just wondering has anybody out there any tips to help me i feel so alone dont know anyone who has had this im on morphine and gabaphentine for my pain and nerves iv tried doing stuff around my home but just end up being so sore its even sore to travel in car i dont get any sleep cant drive yet cant sit or stand any longer than 5/10 mins im getting really depressed and i feel so young to be going through this i also had a disectomy in 2010 

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Nat06,

I ended up like that at the age of 25 I'm now 45, it's hard to adapt to the big changes in your life, yes very depressing, I had my dark moments and I just came to realize that for some reason I'm supposed to be like this, maybe to help others to be honest I try so hard not to think negative but positive, we are still here but we are not the same, we changed unfortunately for the worse butdint etit get you down just do your things little by little so you don't push your body and than your sore for days, try to pace yourself, little here little more but when you start feeling that pain when it's getting to that point, stop relax, keep doing it little bit and relax, the more you push the more you are hurting your body.

I hope this helps, oh and smile even though you are in pain put a smile on your face and for that moment the pain will be gone.

Good luck and smile, also pace yourself!

Cynthia (Cindy)

• Posted

Cynthia70714,

Very good advice i have L5 S1 bulging disc and from hip revision Oct 2013 i got sciatic nerve damage. I been on disability ever since couldn't go back to work. But positive attitude does help one day at time.

Take care

Jackie

• Posted

Jackie56101,

I have been through it all, anything and everything I had done to try and help my pain, I noticed one day that if I miserable I would hurt worse so I try to out a snukt in and kaao trudging along, I just do what I can snike and do what I can do, one chore at a time and do what your body can handle and smile cause you accomplish something, that you thought you couldn't do. I had a bulging discs n than after all the things they did try nothing worked, now I have the nervo and I hope this is gonna work, I pray, I don't know how much surgeries can ones body can take.

Stay strong n smile once in awhile and limit yourself!!

Take care. Cynthia (Cindy)

• Posted

What a nice and affective reply. Smile even though you are in pain ..hard to do...but agree whole heartedly.
    • Posted

If you can do a little exercise ( let's face it housework is exercise) and I agree a friend of mine says slowly wins the race. Its easy to tell someone to take it easy but probably I don't take my own advice lol.

NHS has exercises on their website. They are only little exercises but they are good. Despite the fact I am no better after my op I still do the exercises.

Sciatic nerve pain is what I have and I do a combination of hot water bottle and ibuprofen gel together with my regular meds. Done well today though walked quite a bit and no pain.

• Posted

Enna,

I do try to smile and do my best not to bring myself down anymore than I am with the pain so I do try to smile and laugh the best medicine in the world 😉😂 if you are miserable your body feels it and makes you hurt more! So try and smile and try not the pain ruin our lives!! We are already in a pickle with pain, why not try and smile and tell that pain you can take my livelihood but not my smiles!!

Cynthia

• Posted

I will try my partner says I am negative. Sometimes I would rather just lie on the bed with a hot water bottle until the pain has gone. But I will try to smile and think of you....

• Posted

Jackie,

I've been on disability since 2008ish but I do try and do my cleaning and I want to get back to walking but I have to wear a brace, my insurance company will not pay for it and my Drs office was like you can pay 250.00 for it, I was like the dr said that he wanted someone to push for the back brace because with my back issues I shouldn't be denied again the girl at the office was like well they are not going cover it, so I am going to take this on my self as I used to work in the medical billing world all you have to do is appeal it but I guess they are just to lazy to do so, I am determined to get a brace without me paying for it, I have so many problems in my back I shouldn't have to do all of this but one thing is I'm gonna get out and start walking again. That was something I could do before this stimulator

Best to you

Cynthia

• Posted

Enna

There you go just think of something that you and your partner did or say that was funny and you will smile😉 I lost my bf because of the pain, he was tired of me being in pain, whatever that is not a person I want to be with if they can't help you cope what you are going through so smile and your mood will change

Cynthia 😉

• Posted

Hi.... I had an ACDF three weeks ago and completely get what you are saying.the lastfewdYshave been very dark indeed. I do too much and end up paying for it. The surgeon was very clear how much I could do the first two weeks but not After that and I don't see him till week six. Make a mental log of what you are allowed to do and stick firmly to it. Try and schedule some visitors in even if only for half-hour.

I am aloneathome and am really struggling but friends do help and you have to let them . if you can sit in some sun it will also help

• Posted

Yep that's me I do the pottering in the garden and do too much but don't know when to stop. I do think sometimes yoga helps. I do self visualization utube have them that can teach you..I do it when I remember and when I can sleep.
  • Posted

Hi, have you been back to discuss things with your surgeon? I'm 3 weeks post double ALIF S1-L4 and doing a lot more than you decribe above. My concern would be that you're still on morphine.

Have you had proper spinal Physio as opposed to NHS generic Physio?

I'd get back to your surgeon and see what's going on.

Good luck.

• Posted

I would pay the 200pounds and get a private appt. The surgent won't turn you down...good luck and take it easy...

PS didn't know there were different physios!!

• Posted

Six months ago I had level 8 spinal fusion.  Life is back to normal, except I no longer have back pain.  I dumped the opiates soon as I got home and went on Tylenol.  Sounds to me like you're doing the right thing by trying to stay active.  But I am very good at compartmentalizing pain.  Again, for me, (learned from past experience) getting rid of primary pain med is essential.  With it, there's always this nagging feeling that if you stop taking it, you'll hurt more.  Which is true, but only for a while.  And without the opiates, you can really be "in charge".  BTW, I'm 69.  As stated in another post I'm back on my mountain bike, motorcycle -- back on life. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.