Immodium And IBS D

Posted , 8 users are following.

Have always suffered from loose ish stools with my IBS. Was only diagnosed earlier this year after going through a stressful event. Have always been able to treat my symptoms with Mebeverine as food didnt make much of a difference it was triggered by anxiety and stress.

Said stressful event is now arising again and my IBS is worse than ever. Have had loose watery stools for 4 days. Maybe one day imbetween without anything. Mebeverine isnt helping anymore. Can hardly leave the house.

Doctors cant see me till next week however have been confirmed with IBS so was wondering how people got on with immodium? Does it help to stop D all together? I dont want to be taking a number of them every day.

Im already on anxiety medication which i have been on for years. Trying to eat plainer foods but it isnt making any difference.

Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Dear Emily, I am so sorry you are another sufferer with IBS.  I have had my troubles since  childhood and am now elderly.

In all the years, there is little to help.   Women are so sensitive to stress and changes in their lives.

The only help I have found is with Kaolin and Morphine, but only then if you have diarrhoea.       Gracegirl.

• Posted

Yes, Immodium does help - at least in my experience. Generally I only have to take them for a day or two and then the D subsides. 

Have you tried the Low FODMAP diet? Whilst my IBS can be made worse by stress, the diet was the only way I was also able to identify trigger foods, which in my case are mushrooms, onions and anything other than a very small amount of gluten. Prior to Low FODMAP, like you there were times when I couldn't leave the house. 

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon. 

Jan

• Posted

Immodium is a lifesaver! You just have to play with the dose to find what works.
  • Posted

I don't think the food cause your ibs. It can be the stress. So better if you try calm, and stress free. I know it's really not help fast, but Immodium is the worst what you can do with your bowel. I got ibs as well. I took probiotics, and do yoga, and it help a lot. I know that to be calm and stress free is very very hard, but this is the best what you can do with your health. Hope you will be better soon!

• Posted

hi emily,

imodium is the safest drug to use for D, but its not the cure just temporary solution. u can have pysllium husk and probiotics along with imodium to make your stools less watery and stop D. IBS is trigerred by mostly anxiety so stick to your anti anxiety pills and it can also be triggered by certain foods which vary from person to person. colofac tablets are used to regularise the bowel movement.

• Posted

Jqb,

Thanks for your posting.I am taking loperamide probiotics and psyllium husk for my ibs-d and gives me good result.

Thanks again.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.