Impact of eating habits, supplements?

Posted , 3 users are following.

New to this! Just diagnosed yesterday and trying to learn as much as I possibly can. Just wondering if anyone has noticed whether diet plays a significant impact? I was reading that a lot of people avoid certain foods (including coffee - which I am most devastated about), and also take some supplements like L-Lysine. Can anyone discuss their experience?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

The whole arginine/lysine business was never backed up in people living with herpes, only in a lab setting, and obviously human bodies are far more complex than a bit of virus in a petri dish or whatever, yet the belief continues to persist, even amongst some doctors.

No legit herpes expert recommends anything other than a regular healthy, balanced diet, although they say that if you notice a repeat trigger (whether arginine-related or not), then best to avoid it. Similarly, if you feel lysine (or whatever else) truly works for you, go for it (but don't overdo it; it is possible to take too much lysine).

Personally, I have not changed my diet and have not noticed any food/drink connections thus far. I drink buckets of caffeinated tea everyday, have had coconut water (high in arginine), even alcohol (tested my limits last night by having at least 3 JD Cokes and 2 beers, woo-hoo!), and ate something containing whole almonds the other day.

Best advice is as noted above: Maintain a regular healthy, balanced diet, and if you notice any repeat triggers or successes, then adjust accordingly, but not before. My own doc at the STD clinic said the same.

• Posted

P.S. I have started taking multivitamins and fish oils again, and am trying out bee prop0lis and certain herbal teas in the evenings. Those are the only changes I've made.
  • Posted

I was thinking of starting lysine and olive leafe. I cant take antiviral but feel in need to. I didnt know the dissafointing info on lysine in the body. Ugh...
    • Posted

Some people swear by lysine, even though past studies have been conflicting or can't be replicated, so it doesn't hurt to try. One study showed that lysine may reduce outbreak frequency, but not outbreak severity/duration. The big names in herpes treatment/research, like Dr Handsfield (ASHA) and Terri Warren (Westover Heights), don't recommend it, though (but they don't say not to take it either). Dr Handsfield even referred it as "quackery" on MedHelp! Just note that lysine doesn't reduce viral shedding, so is not effective for reducing transmission.

Here's what it says on the American Sexual Heath Association (ASHA) website about lysine and arginine:

"People often ask about an amino acid by the name of lysine (L-lysine), because of Internet claims or claims from other people that it helps control outbreaks. While some studies have suggested that lysine supplements can reduce the frequency of recurrences or healing time, other trials have been unable to replicate those results. Therefore, there is not sufficient information to discern how effective it may be, in addition to what the effective dosages or frequency of L-lysine may be.

"Lysine can be found with other nutrients and supplements at your local grocery or drug store, but people should only take the recommended dosage if it is taken and always check with their health care provider first before starting any new medication or supplement. Megadoses of lysine may throw other amino acids out of balance and interfere with the absorption of other nutrients such as vitamins and minerals.

"In regard to possible foods to avoid, some people feel that foods that contain high amounts of the amino acid arginine may cause herpes outbreaks. Arginine is found in numerous foods that are eaten on a regular basis; therefore, we do not encourage someone to stop eating foods simply because they contain arginine. However, an individual may want to consider adjusting their diet if she or he is having frequent outbreaks and believes food is a contributing factor. Again, while some individuals believe arginine can trigger outbreaks, there is no clinical evidence to support these claims."

• Posted

Do you happen to know anything about olive leaf extract? Some people seem to swear by it.
    • Posted

I only know that other people rave about it! Not read too much about olive leaf extract, nor have I tried it myself, but I would certainly consider it. I much prefer herbal teas and supplements to meddling with my diet and normal amino acid balance.
  • Posted

I have heard good things about okive keaf too. I plan on incorporating it

i have read good things. Unfortunately some of what i have read is a bit grandious in its clims, which always makes me leary

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.