In depserate need of help/advice. Second day of NO XANAX on my own?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been prescribed 0.5 mg Xanax to take as needed for severe panic attacks. I was getting migraines so they also prescribed me hydrocodone (5/325) 

Lately I've had horrible panic attacks so I've been taking a Xanax almost every night. I have not been on it for more than a month. I counted the pills and I've taken a total of 10 Xanax pills over a course of a month. I've taken the norco for the headaches and I've taken 8 of those in less than a month also. 

So it's either I take ONLY ONE 0.5 Xanax a day or I take ONE hydrocodone a day. I NEVER mix the two. 

I decided to stop with the Xanax because I don't want to be dependent on it but now I feel like crap. Increased anxiety and insomnia. I can't get a good nights sleep and idk what to do. Is this just anxiety or am I expediting Xanax withdrawals after only taking 10 Xanax my whole life? And the hydrocodone too. Am I at risk for seizures?! I'm terrified.

is it safe to cut cold turkey like this? i havent been on it for years, not even a month. My doctor wont see me till friday an d shes not able to tell me if its safe or not. 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi hon

I would be very surprised if this was withdrawal as you have only taken 10 tablets and not even every day. I would guess that this is your normal panic exasperated by the fear of withdrawal. You would also be at a very very low risk of seizures. People do taper slowly off of Xanax but usually when they have taken it regularly for at least a couple of months. The rule of thumb is do not taper for longer than you've taken the drug. You will be fine, try not to overthink this and don't read all the horror stories on the Internet, people only post if they have had a bad experience and they are in the minority many thousands of people stop these drugs with no problems but speak to your doctor Friday to put your mind at rest.

Take care

Jo

• Posted

Jo thank you so much for your kind words. My mind is still racing and reading your reply made me relax a lot. That proves to me that all of what I'm feeling is anxiety related. I'm glad I'm not at a very low low risk. This will be my third night without Xanax, a little bit more over 72 hours, so I think I'm safe from seizures? My dad told me if a seizure was a side effect, it would of definitely happened on the first night. I will try to calm my nerves and talk to my doctor. As of now I'm still anxious but I'm glad I haven't relapsed and taken a Xanax.
    • Posted

Big typo! I meant to put I'm glad I'm at a very low low risk***
    • Posted

Glad to be able to help. I'm sure you will be fine in a couple of days, I know what you are going through as I had been taking 20 mg of diazepam for a year and stopped cold turkey. I terrified myself by reading horror stories on the Internet and it was a kind person on here that put my mind at rest and I was fine. A few sleepless nights and some anxiety but then I had anxiety before taking it. Try and distract yourself as much as possible. Let me know how you're doing and what your doctor says. Take care. Jo x
    • Posted

Hey Jo!

I had my doctors appointment and it went great. Told my doctor everything about taking Xanax for almost two weeks straight along with the hydrocodone. She told me since it's such a low dose, their is so such thing as a withdrawal from not taking it for so long. I asked her about risks of all these things from cutting cold turkey, she said that happens to people who abuse it and take it for years! She's happy I got off of it while I could. I'm glad too. She referred me to a therapist which I'm happy about

The biggest problem I'm having now is sleeping. I would depend on the 0.50 mg Xanax to put me to sleep and now it's like I don't sleep. Today will be a week without Xanax

I took a zzzQuil sleep aid last night (ingredient is diphenhydramine). Was it okay for me to take that? Or did I put myself back all the way to square one?!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.