Incisional hernia?

Posted , 4 users are following.

A few weeks ago, I noticed as I got up from a seated position, I felt a pulling and a lot of uncomfortable pressure above my last hernia repair incision. They had to make the incision about 4-5" above the bellybutton due to a previous umbilical hernia repair and a cholecystectomy. If I push, I can feel a decent sized bulge and it is painful to press on. It's in the middle of my abdomen. Anyone else ever dealt with something like this?

Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi dont know what a cholecystectomy is, but I had an incisional hernia from a laprotomy which I had when my bowels perforated and had to be repaired. I have had the hernia repaired but I elected to have the surgery.  I would say you need to go see your doctor and have a discussion about it, My hernia started on the left side of my abdomen and was growing either side of the scar by the time I had it repaired.  Hope you get some clarity on what it is.  
    • Posted

Cholecystectomy is gall bladder removal.

I have to find a new primary care doctor since my employer switched insurance provider. So it is a hectic time right now.

• Posted

Hi. I'll be quick before I lose the post again! Don't leave it too long if you have the choice. Mine ended up very large and needed mesh repair. They don't go away, they just get bigger as far as I know. Good luck...

• Posted

I'm going to call a doctors on Tuesday.

It's been a frustrating 18 months.

I've gone under the knife 3 times (gallbladder, torn meniscus, and 2x hernia repair)z

• Posted

You've certainly been through it! Best wishes for Tuesday.

• Posted

You have certainly been through the mill, like most of us on here, so I hope you get a good result on Tuesday.  Most folks out there think hernias are easily sorted, this is not so they can be complex and difficult to sort.  Avoidance through better wound closure would help prevent some of them.  Lets hope research is going on to this end.
    • Posted

When they took my gallbladder out, I think the surgeon cut through the original umbilical hernia repair.

• Posted

Oh my, are you in Uk if you need further repair you need the best surgeon you can find, it sounds like a right mess, hopefully the right person will be able to help you.  You can look up a surgeons stats in the UK, I searched around until I found the right person, still find the mesh difficult to cope with at times.  All the very best with it all
    • Posted

Actually Shirley, I'm in the US.

I have to make calls tomorrow to find a doctor.

Over the past few days, the symptoms have gotten worse. I can't lay on my stomach or my left side, I feel a pronounced bulge when I sneeze, or cough (bad time to catch a cold), and the bulge is extremely tender.

If it gets worse, I'll be going to the ER.

• Posted

I have experienced a bowel perforation and the pain is acute and I described it at the time as the pain from the pit of hell.  I was also very hot and at the time of perforation delirious, but aware enough to say to my family send for an ambulance, I was way too ill to travel by car, the ambulance persnnel carried me to the ambulance, I could not walk and was being very sick.  When the sick turns to green bile then you know that your bowel has perforated, I imagine a strangulation is very similar to this.and if this happens to you, you must go to ER as you will need immediate surgery, do not delay.  

However given you history of hernias, with your current symptoms you need help it would be best to get it seen too, to avoid an emergency situation.  It is a horrid disease and nowhere near the top of the agenda like cancer or heart disease.

• Posted

Tommyboy77 yes I have had numerous hernia verticle, unbiblical, and incisional. A total of 7 surgeries in 6 year and now I have 3 more. I am now at the point where I am having severe pains and I am guessing because they haven't been fixed right away this time. No one knows why I get them I had sleeve surgery lost 40 pounds, I don't bend, lift heavy items so they don't know why they keep coming back.

• Posted

The bulge above me last hernia incision feels pretty big, like the size of the palm of my hand. Can feel it when I cough and sneeze.

I have to get in to see a doctor.

• Posted

I just set the appointment with them PMC my favorite surgeon left so I have to get a new one. I really hate these things and wish someone could tell me why I kept getting them. I have had surgery for weight loss last year and have lost 35 to 40 pounds, I do no lifting of more than gallon of milk.

It drives me crazy to have no answers. Good luck.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.