incontinence after stricture dilation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I am 75 yrs old male, and had a stricture dilation procedure 2 days ago,

after radical prostatectomy 7 years ago.Now I have no control at all over my bladder. Every time I stand or try to walk, I leak. I'm getting through incontinence pads at quite a rate, and scared to leave the house.

Is this likely to be a short term issue? If so I'll wait to see what happens before the follow up in 11 days time. If not I guess I should contact urology.

Anyone been there

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Mine is not exactly your story, but it has some similarities.  I had GreenLight laser procedure in March of last year and have been incontinent ever since.  A second TURP in May was done to clean up the mess left by the GL laser, and hopefully restore my continence.  Afterwards, I did extensice theraphy which was of no value.  I went to a second doctor who was going to install an artificial sphincter.  He found that I had strictures, so he did a balloon dilatioin.  Right now, I'm in a 3 month waiting period to see if the strictures come back.  If they don't, I hope to have the artificial sphincter installed.  

So, it's been over 10 months now that I've been totally incontinent.  I easily go through 8 heavy duty pads a day, as the bladder drains if I'm walking or standing.   I am now using a condom cathether on most days, as that is better (for me) than being in a soaked Depends pull up or pad all day long.  

• Posted

Thanks for reply Glenn

Not really what I had hoped for, but I guess we have to live with and find our own way of dealing with it.

I am seeing my Urologist soon, so I think I'll see what happens between now and then.

Wishing you the very best outcome.

• Posted

Theoc,

I hope and pray for you that your condition will only be temporary.  How was your dilation done, and where was the stricture?  Was it with medical sounds or a balloon?   It seems strange to have your external sphincter working, and then not working after dilation.

In any event, don't give up hope too soon.  I know one person who became incontinent about 10 years after a radical prostatectomy, and he had the AMS 800 sphincter implanted, and he is very happy with the result.

I get so angry with urologists who have no appreciation about how awful total incontinence is.   I can put on dry Depends (pull ups), and they'll be wet again in 10 or 15 minutes if I'm up and about.   In the last 10 months, I've spent over $2,000 out-of-pocket for pull ups, pads, condom cathethers, bags and related supplies.  And the money is the least of the issue.  I think my quality of life dropped 80% with my Greenligh surgery last March here in Greensboro.

• Posted

Hi Glenn,

I understand the dilation is carried out using tapered "rods" through the penis to the stricture at the juncture with the bladder.

I don't have any form of artificial sphincter, but I think it's going to be up for discussion when I see my urologist in about a week's time.

Just googled the AMS800, and your observation will serve well as reassurance for me if I get that far. I'm in UK, and our NHS is under great strain right now, so fingers crossed.

• Posted

Theoc,

It seems that using tapered rods could stretch the external sphincter if it doesn't totally relax as the rods are inserted.   If that is what happened, hopefully the sphincter will recover in time.  I think a better approach would be to use  balloon dilation if it's available.

You also might think about doing kegel exercises to give the sphincter support.  Make sure you do them correctly, and don't over do them.

• Posted

Yeah doing the Kegel excercises Thanks
  • Posted

Dear Graham and Glenn,

My heart goes to you both. I'm slightly incontinent and find it stressful enough, so I can only start to imagine how you must both feel. Graham, could you contact your local urology clinic and ask them if your condition is likely to be short lived and then request an emergency appointment if they say that it's something you will have to get used to? I don't know where you live but I'm in south London, UK and have had to wait nearly two years (21 months to be exact) for a routine urology appointment!!   

My very best wishes to you both for successful outcomes to what is a really horrid and distressing condition.

Peter A 

• Posted

Thanks for your support Peter.

It is distressing and embarrassing, so I hope my urologist can help improve matters when I see him soon.

Make sure you ask what impact any procedure will have in the medium and long term.

Graham77077

• Posted

Thanks for the advice, Theoc, which I will certainly heed.

Best wishes and kindest regards as always,

Peter

• Posted

Thanks Peter for your concern.  I appreciate it.
  • Posted

In the past, I have had 4-5 cystoscopies to check why I was leaking four of them were strictures. All were removed, but I continued to leak. The doctors determined that I had BPH, benign Prostatic Hyperplasia. I was given the drug cardura. But the leaking continued. The doctor then did a TUIP-transurethral.incision of the prostate. then a catheter was inserted after surgery, a temporary solution. Both treatments in 1988, failed,and I continue to leak urine, even today. I used some padding in the past but they created alot of sweating in my underwear so I stopped using them. But since I am on haemodyalysis now, I drink less water so I leak less. I still use padding in case I leak but the cause of my leaking has never been resolved. Except after one cystoscopy, the doctor told me I have a false entry into my bladder so my urine pools in 2 different areas, so my bladder never is emptied completely

Then I was precribed Detrol. That medication did not stop it or oxybutynin. I have had this problem since 1983 when I was 32 years old and now I am 65. While on haemodialysis, I now drink about 4 cups of liquid (US standards ), so I leak less.and I don't get the urgent feeling that I need to find a toilet immediately, anymore. But I never know when I will.leak or what doctor call post void dribbling. It happens suddenly, when walking or sitting. Especially if I drink more than the 4 cups of liquid per day.

I have not used any type of catheter but I heard they can be helpful.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.

Someone on this forum suggested a penis clamp or similar device

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.