Increased anxiety with setraline

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I started on Setra 2.5 weeks ago. 4 days at 25, 10 days at 50, now 3 days at 75. The reason for the fast increase is the pdoc is trying to fix my sleep which is nonexistent without sleeping tabs (taken off and on for a couple of months). I've felt really anxious and still depressed especially last couple of days but doc wants me to go to 100. Too scared until side effects gone but I need to fix my sleep before I get put on something like mirtzapine! Any insights?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Sertraline is normally used to counter anxiety and depression, not to help with sleep.   In fact it often makes sleep worse.   

If you want to fix your sleep, a low dose of mirtazapine is a good choice.  

Personally I take both:  Sertraline to fight anxiety and mirtazapine to counter the lack of sleep caused by the Sertraline.  It works really well. 

Until I started the mirt I was extremely depressed - probably caused by lack of sleep.    

Because I could not sleep the

• Posted

Thanks for replying. I was worried about mirtz knocking me out so I couldn't drive - I have to do school runs / work etc.

Psych seems to think if we fix depression sleep will follow as my sleep only stopped after depression started.

• Posted

You said before that your pdoc wanted to fix your sleep first, now you say they want fix your depression first.  

I hope your pdoc is right - that fixing the depression will fix the sleep. It did not work in my case as it was the AD which was causing the insomnia and the insomnia which caused depression.  

Mirt makes me slightly groggy in the morning but only for about 30 minutes after I get up.  I need to take it  about 12 hours before that though.  

We all respond differently.  I have just read another post on this forum by someone who  said sleep deprivation helps his depression.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.