Increased Cymbalta to full 120mg Dose

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been fighting depression for over a year now. It all started with my hormones changing due to peri-menopause. I had a full hysterectomy after and I'm still trying to balance hormones with my Dr.. My P-Doc has had tried me on Prozac, lithium combo which helped me years ago. Didn't work this time. Tried Pristiq and that sent me very far down to suicidal thoughts and actually caused heart problems. Then tried Wellbutrine but I can't handle the anxiety. So he put me on Cymbalta, I didn't feel anything at 30mg, so then tried 60mg. I've been on 60mg for two weeks with almost no change so now he wants me to up it to 120mg. Anyone else see any benefit increasing to that dosage?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I take 120 and started on 60 and yes it helped. As far as hormones go, I have gotten hormone pellets and they have helped me a lot. I hope you find this helpful. Any more questions continue to post.
  • Posted

Kristin, I was on 120 mg of Cymbala for several years. It was prescribed by a physiologist. I went to my regular doctor and she said how long have you been taking this amount. I told her and she said my goodness. Told me to wean down to 60 mg daily. I had no problems r side effects. I'm really wanting to get off them. I've heard lots of bad things and it's hard to get off them. I've tried Effexor in the past and it worked great. I got off them and tried going back and no help at all. I hope this helps you

• Posted

Sally, what bad affects did you get from cymbalta. Has there been warnings put out about it. I have no problems, so far and don't need them. What was your doctors reason for wanting you off? Very interested for my own health. Thanks. Barbara

• Posted

There are no warnings out there about cymbalta only statement talk with your Doctor before stopping this medicine.and dr may not know the reason I had very bad side effects from taking it and had even worse when quitting cold turkey its now been 6 weeks off and just now starting to feel better also spent week in hospital. Good luck be careful with this medicine or poison as it truly is.
  • Posted

All i can say I think cymbalta is very dangerous, I took it 30 mg for 5 months started having bad bad headaches , diarrhea, mood changes no energy so decided to just quit taking my cymbalta, little did I know the hell I was about to unleash I ended up in ER 3 times with breathing problems and heart rate so fast it felt my heart was about to explode this was in a week time 3rd time there they admitted me to hospital where I remained for 7 days so many test I was put through and never once did I connect any of this to cymbalta . I threw up had a migraine. Breathing problems ,heart rate so fast , itching I almost had a nervous break down because all test came back ok and no one could figure what was giving me all these symptoms that I was having not just in my head they all showed up on monitors they gave me medicine to stop throwing up only thing I was getting was IVs no food nothing to drink I was giving morphine to help slow the heat rate. medicine for itching breathing treatments every 4 hrs finally after 7 days I started feeling better they were sending me home with a couple of new heart pills to keep heart rate in check.and may I mention my regular dr was out of town during this time so when he came back from vacation I had an appointment with him I told him I had quit the cymbalta still not putting 2and 2 together he told me I needed to continue the cymbalta it was a good med maybe I just needed a lower dose so I went home With A new lower dose which I started right away first night ok Second night bad, bad headache awake all night throwing up so sick I could not hold my head up do then a light came on I looked up cymbalta side affects. I also found the withdrawal symptoms everything I had gone through the past 2 weeks right before my eyes all the hell I had been through now made perfect sense . So please please be aware what that medicine can do to you.Do not stop I cold turkey , it is a very dangerous medicine, stay aware if the side effects and also the withdrawal symptoms .Wishing only the best for you.
  • Posted

Kristen

My story is almost identical to yours. Depression caused by perimenopause, started cymbalta at 30mg then uped to 60mg then uped to 90 mg and now my dr wanting to go to 120 mg. I'm also on 45 mg Remeron. I am not suicidal any longer and I have most of my personality back but I'm not fulling recovered. Since its been 6 mos did you end up taking 120 mg? And did it help you?

• Posted

Yes, I've been on 120 mg for the last 6 months or so. It did help, but I still feel very tired. The Dr has me on estrogen and DHEA which has helped my energy level. I'm also on Seroquel XR, lithium, and topamax.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.