Increased dose of fluoxetine

Posted , 12 users are following.

I've been taking 20mg of fluoxetine for 6weeks and have now been on the increased dose of 40mg for 3 weeks, the first 2 weeks of increased dose made me feel depressed and very anxious ,I'm just starting to feel a bit better, can anyone tell me what time span it took them to feel a lot better, or is this as good as it gets .

2 likes, 65 replies

65 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Everyone is different - for some it can be a few weeks, some 3-4 months and others it can be 9 months.  Just let the meds work for you and just keep going.  You might find your mood will be up and down and occasionally you can feel like you're back at the beginning.  That's normal and is part of recovery.

K x

• Posted

I have just started Fluoxetine 20mg a week and a half ago... and going up to 40mg this week which i am hopeing not too many more side effects...let me know how it goes Sara4321
    • Posted

It takes time for your body to adjust to the medication I went on fluoxetine in January and it took a couple of months before I felt normal

it helped to take it before bed as I tried taking it in the morning and it made me really drowsy

I just had my dose increased to 40mg over the weekend and I'm having some side effects that many others have experienced such as lethargy, anxiety, irritableness, headaches and sadness

However Ive read that this is temporary and it will get better!

• Posted

My dr has now added Pregablin , I take this twice a day , this is for Anxiety, next week he will increase the dose so i will keep you updated on this 
  • Posted

Hang in there Sara

I'm going through the same thing right now I'm hopeful this will pass

• Posted

Thank you  for your kind message of support, this is such a hard thing to go through . 
    • Posted

It most definitely is

yesterday I was lethargic but today I woke up feeling sad I didn't cry though

Then later on in the day I had some really bad mood swings , like how I use to be before I was on anything ..it will get better....

• Posted

I can really sympathise, I hope you feel better soon, 😬
  • Posted

hi everyone, im on day 2 of my upped dose of 40mg , been on 20mg for 25 days. Still feel like crap, tired, no energy, dizzy, foggy and tight head(headache)severe anxiety and panic. My doc just gave me propanolol for that, but not sure if it works, the first day it did but yesterday just felt it made me super sleepy but i could still feel heavy chest and like i couldnt breath. My worst symptom is when im in the car driving i get scared a lot, dont know why. I hope this passes, i was fine 3 months ago, now i feel im livign a nightmare. Words of hope!
    • Posted

I'm on day 4 of my increase I'm feeling better than yesterday I had a really bad day with mood swings I was acting like i did before taking pills

Today I still feel sad and not like myself yet

Oh and when are you taking your pills?

I find it very helpful to take them at night and sleep off some of the side effects

Let me know if you feel better

• Posted

hi sarah

i take it at night, it does help sleep, but not seeing any changes yet(atleast positive) im barely on day 2 of taking the upped dose. Im 24/7 with anxiety and panic, specially when i drive, and i cant be at work like this. i hate this feeling. keep me updated see how your doing.

• Posted

Yeah it's too soon yet for us to see the medicine at work

Hang in there!

I do have moments when I'm giddy so I know something is working and the constant crying I use to have stopped

I'm pretty sure I cried most of my life...if only I had this pill sooner

• Posted

did you take anything else to cope? what were you given it for?
    • Posted

My family doctor refused to give me prescription drugs as a teen, understandable I guess, but I could have dealt with my life better

I had depression I would yell scream slam doors I always felt like there was something wrong with me

I went on the Internet and pmdd came up and it described my symptoms to a T (very severe pms 14 days before each cycle)

I married my childhood sweet heart at 19 but shortly after he fell ill and was later diagnosed with bipolar it took a long time to get him well then later on I looked into my disorder more and finally found a doctor that wouldn't refuse me

I started taking 20mg in January and just last Saturday I was put on 40 mg

I have to say I can deal with things better I don't yell as much the crying stopped, before meds my husband said I would get so angry I would blank out and wouldn't realize what I would do or say in the moment I couldn't stand myself anymore

In a nut shell that's why I'm on fluoxetine

There's more I could say but I'm just running to work

Keep commenting smile

• Posted

They gave it to me for anxiety and panic, but ever since i started them my anxiety and panic have doubled. i just want to feel better, that's all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.