Increased levothyroxine

Posted , 8 users are following.

It's been about three weeks since starting levo 25mcg. Two weeks ago I told my doctor I was still suffering with Brian fog, weight gain, depression, hair loss, anxiety, etc. She increased my levo to 50mcg two weeks ago. So by my account, I've been on levo for one month. Fyi, I have a goiter and my face is puffy. As I go through old pictures, I can't believe I allowed doctors to tell me nothing was wrong with me other than menopause and depression. Doctor says she doesn't want to prescribe more than 75mcg. When will my symptoms go away?

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am on throxine 150 mg daily was on 25 mg slowly went up over a ten year periods I have completely changed my Diet lots off fresh fruite,loads off salds,,veg white meat and lots off fish my throxine has know gone down two 125 daily fist time in ten years l go for a souna everyday that helps the whole Bodey including throide 
    • Posted

Yes, I know I need to change my whole diet around. I crave sweet and salty foods. Plus I'm looking into going gluten free. I'm determined to get better.
  • Posted

Your dosage is to low and if you could I would find a doctor to perscribe natural thyroid medication. Will make a huge difference I think.
    • Posted

Yes, I will if I can't find relief. My doctor says she wants to start low but not go over 75 of the levo. When I go back in a few weeks, she'll have me see an endo. I've been living with a goiter and hypo symptoms for years and now I'm finally getting treatment.
  • Posted

Hello Mrsfullof:

My name is Shelly and I am a nurse in the USA. I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease since 1987.

Doctor's start at 25mcg and then wait 6 to 8 weeks until a new level is made inside of you.  The body is slow to adjust and I know we all wish it was faster.

Then they draw blood, and adjust the med up or down.  Most people are on 75mcg to 125mcg a day.  Some need more and some need less.  Protocol is to go up in increments of 25% as to avoid bad symptoms and give the body a chance to adjust.

If your TSH does not come down on the scale which is 0.45 to 4.50 then they will adjust it.  Some of the medicine is excreted in a day via urine and feces and the liver so that is another reason why it takes the body some time to adjust.

Hang in there!

Regards,

Shelly

• Posted

Thank you for reaching out it makes me feel as if I'm not crazy and alone.

Btw, my doctor says there isn't a blood test to determine if I'm getting better, I'll determine by how well I'm doing.

Also, I'm on 2 caltrate pills and 1 vitamin daily as I have low vitamin D. Is there any other vitamins I should be on as my hair is still falling out?

• Posted

Hello Again Mrsfullof:

TSH - is a blood test to determine the health of the overall function of the gland.  TSH means thyroid stimulating hormone.

T4 is your level of thyroxine  a hormone in your blood made bythe thyroid.

T3 is called Liothyronine and is the useable hormone by the body.

There are blood tests and are done all the time in UK and USA and around the world.  You need these tests.  So if your doctor said that you do not need them, find a better doctor.

Vit D is low in many of us with thyroid disease.  I am low also and take 2000IU a day.  It will help keep your muscles and bones in good shape.

Have a Vit B-12 level iron, ferritin, calcium, magnesium, potassium level and selenium level done.

It can take 6 months before you may stop having the hair fall out.  That is how long it took me. 

You will need more blood work in about 3 months or so.

Keep us updated on how you do,

Shelly

• Posted

I am at my six weeks mark of being on levo. My hair is still falling out . I'm shedding like a German Shepard. I don't weigh myself but some of my clothing is fitting loosely. My brain fog has lifted and I'm thinking clearer. I've always had palpitations before I started on levo and on occasion I'll feel it. I still can't sleep at night. Sometimes I'll just lie in the dark and pray for sleep, to no avail. I'll end up surfing the net or watching t.v. till sun up. I'm not scheduled to go back to the doctors for a few weeks yet. I can't say that I'm overly depressed in spite of being broke needing to find a job quickly and two family members are on hospice comfort care. And my mom is in a facility after suffering a major stroke. I just started a sells job, but hard to practice because I don't have the start up fees to pay my dues. I had the money once upon a time, but my brain wasn't working. I was trapped in my own mind. So, I have to find paying work to pay for fees.

In spite of this I'm staying encouraged that God will give me the ability to handle what I need to handle to become once again self sufficient.

• Posted

Well, it's been a few months since I've been following the discussions and I'm about to loose it. Last week I went to see an Endo. This weekend I've received my tests results back and I'm scared. I cannot stop crying. His nurse has called I assume to meeting with the doctor to go over the results. I have googled it and this is what I found. Since my Endo stopped me from all thyroid medicine and requested new blood work it looks like PCOS/diabeties. High glucose 129. The norm is 68-110. High BUN 11. The norm is 8-22. High anion gap 15. The norm is 5-13. High anion gap 15. The norm is 5-13.EST. GFR 68. The norm is 60-1.73. High C-Peptide serum 12.82. The norm is 0.81-3.85

So all these years I've been suffering and not being treated properly. I am totally beside myself

• Posted

Hello, getting news like this comes as a shock and crying is a natural reaction to shock. It will help if you focus on the positives.

The good thing to come out of this is that you now know what it is and can therfore start treatment. Also there is a lot in the press about diet being able to significantly help diabetes. Search on 'daily mail diabetes diet'. You'll feel better if you take control and 'do' something, and this healthy diet seems a good place to start. All the best.

• Posted

Also have a look at the tv programme 'trust me I'm a doctor' by Dr. Michael Moseley. In it they found that artificial sweetners such as aspartame, saccharine etc. have unintended consequences in the body. Stevia was found to be a good alternative to sugar that didn't. I'll send you a PM with a link to the article he wrote.
    • Posted

Hello Mrsfullof

I also  have PCOS and Diabetes since 2002.  If you take Metformin for Adult Type 2 Diabetes you will help the PCOS.  It helps the cysts down. The PCOS comes insulin resistance and as we age we can develop this. 

The BUN and GFR will go back to normal as your Glucose gets better.  These tests have to do with the kidney and  since you have Diabetes the kidneys have extra stress on them.

Watch carbs.  Eat low carbs and good protein like fish, lean meats. Do some mild exercise like walking.  It helps.

Diabetes  is very treatable today.  They have  support groups online also.

Keep us posted.

Shelly

• Posted

It may be that your doctor is one of the enlightened ones, who prescribes by symptoms not the TSH test. If your thyroid test levels are all normal but you have a goitre (which often happens when the thyroid gland is struggling to produce enough T4) then the thyroid tests will be useless, hence the ttied and tested wasy if relying in symptoms. Please ask your doctor to check your adrenal glands are working ok.
    • Posted

That should have read. ..hence the tried and tested way of relying on symptoms.
    • Posted

Yearly I have TSH,T3 and T4 tests done but unfortunately for me, the results have come back as normal; and as a result my doctor wouldn't treat me. I'm deeply saddened that I'm suffering so badly.
    • Posted

I would like to thank everyone for the words of encouragement. I had the adgrenal glands and testosterne tests were in normal limits. He he wrote me today my noduels have grown in size and now he wants to schedule a biospy. He said I do not have diabetes, but with the high C-peptide it could turn into diabetes if I don't reduce my starch intake.  I am a cookie and cake fend. Love sweets. So I know I can't have these or the popcorn and potatoes I eat almost daily.  I do have one ovary and fallopian tube left after my hysterectomy. He's not addressing my hypo symptoms, including brain fog baldness and facial hair. He says  I'm going bald because I'm 54. He's looking at me like I'm crazy. I'm totally and profoundly sad.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.