INCREASED PAIN from Methotrexate!!

Posted , 30 users are following.

I took my first dose of 6 - 2.5mg pills last night for my arthritis.  Woke up a few hours later in the most excruciating joint pain I have ever had--in EVERY joint including my knuckels of my fingers.  Anyone ever experience this crazy reaction to this medication??

1 like, 58 replies

58 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Jacob -- 

I did not have excrutiating pain after my first dose, but I do know that it really took until about my 3rd weekly dose to start feeling any relief from my normal pain levels.  Up until that point I still had to continue taking my extra strength Bayer aspirin. (But that being said, I would call your practitioner in case you are having some other sort of unexpected reaction)

• Posted

Dear Lisa34277:

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.  Needless to say I will not be taking any more Methotrexate anytime soon.  But unfortunately this was my third medication I've tried for my polymylagia rheumatica.  I guess I have to keep looking.  Thanks again.

• Posted

Thanks for that data. My rheumi AND my GP both recommended MTX After Cimzia didn't do anything for the pain. I'm coming off of prednisone now after weeks of taking it. It does help the pain but leaves awful side effects. It seems I have multiple immune system disorders and they are trying to hit in the right combo of meds to help me.
    • Posted

I think you'll probably find more help with your PMR if you post in the PMR forum.  Doctors are very keen on tapering the steroids too quickly with PMR, thus causing flares.

What other autoimmune diseases do you have?

• Posted

I have psoriatic and rheumatoid arthritis with a touch of the PMR. The only pain relief I get is from the prednisone. Of course I get all the other "gifts" as well, including the beginnings of a cataract in my left eye, skin bruises, and high blood pressure. I will go over to the PMR area and see what's going on there. Thanks again.
    • Posted

I developed a cataract in my left eye, as a result of steroid eye drops, had an implant in 1992!  It can only happen once in each eye.

I was on oral pred for 3 years and finally came off it last October, I still have to take 3 different tablets to keep my blood pressure under control.

I have often wondered whether I would have been better off on Pred.

• Posted

Normal treatment for PMR is steroids.  Confused why you've been given methotrexate for it.

• Posted

I have been complaining of joint pain in my hips and legs, for months.  I could no longer tolerate the pain, so stopped the MTX about 7 weeks ago, after 18 months on it.

I was on 10mg/week.  I spoke to my Consultant's secretary but, as yet, I haven't seen him.  I am still in pain but it is bearable now.  I was taking MTX for a skin condition, which has, of course, taken on a new life of its own.

Contact your Consultant, Jacob.

• Posted

Dear mrsmop:

Thank you for your prompt and helpful reply.  I could not believe that the meds I was taking for pain actually could cause it to increase out of proportion.  Good luck on your skin condition.  (You may want to try a drug called Cimzia.  I tried it, cleared my psoriasis but did nothing for pain).

• Posted

I was just having a look at it, thank you.  I don't know that it is used for my problem.

• Posted

I doubt if the pain is as a result of Methothrexate, at least give it a 2nd week to come to that conclusion. All my joints are affected by rheumatoid arthritis so pain was really bad and when i started on Meth (15mg tablets), it was in conjunction with prednisolone and sometimes tramadol to help with the pain as methotrexate takes a couple of weeks to take effect. It helps a little but still had bad episodes so was switched to the injection on an increased doze (20mg) and after a few week, i feel like brand new.

All i'm saying is that anything could have triggered your pain and give it one more week before you put it down to the Methrotrexate

• Posted

Dear Yejyde:

Thanks for that great advice. I had some pain (the usual) yesterday prior to taking the MTX. What I woke up to after taking it was more like someone trying to pull all my limbs and digits off while making me listen to an out-of-tune orchestra; just totally torturous all around. I can't think of anything but the MTX that would have caused. I also get the same reaction from Celebrex, not as bad, but it does make the pain worse.

• Posted

My immune system was totally out of wack after taking extended prednisone which then caused adrenaline fatique, causing so many all over symptoms. I had to build my health and immune system back up after extensive researching about the adrenal exhaustion which made me take much of my health in my own hands along with the help of some traditional medicine. I was completely depleted of nutrients and balance internally.
    • Posted

sorry to hear about the pain, I totally understand. There were days when I couldn't take a step on my own so having increased pain as you've described is no joke and not to be seen likely. I've used Celebrex but it never took d pain away just eased it a little bit. One thing I know for sure is we all react differently to these medications so it's up to each individual to understand his or her body. Can you check d composition of both Meth n Celebrex to see if there's something common which might be the underlying cause of this increased pain.

I hope you find something that your body will respond to that will make u feel better.

I'm exploring the option of supplements as I'll like to stop d meth one day to avoid bruises n rashes and episodes of very low white blood counts and I'll share with d group of it actually works. All the best

• Posted

Hi Yejyde,  I was told to take MTX for at least 12 weeks before I might notice any difference and it certainly helped with my MMP.  I developed severe pain after about 9 months and it became totally unbearable this year, so, as I said, I stopped it in February, after 18 months.  I don't have RA or PMR but MMP and Fuchs' Heterochromic Cyclitis.

I took Prednisolone for 3 years, which helped.  The MTX was introduced as a steroid sparing agent.

I am waiting to see my Consultant - appt currently next week, it is 3 months late!

• Posted

Thanks for sharing Mrsmop, it's good to have this at the back of mind should I notice a change. I've learnt a lot from this forum like hair loss which I have been experiencing but never put it down to the medication. I hope you get to see the doctor soon, 3months is a long time
    • Posted

Hey there I like your reply to this answer because I'm on Methotrexate for my lupus and I've been out for 2 weeks now and I haven't felt any complications at all. I'm a little concerned that I should be feeling something by now. I'm on 80 milligrams per milliliter a week and I have to take it for 3 months. I told my doctor that I did not want to be put on Prednisone because it's a steroid and it actually causes you to gain weight. My goal is to lose weight through all of this relief from my lupus symptoms of fatigue tiredness joint pain stiffness and exhaustion. If I could get all those symptoms under control I could go to the gym, I could work out. And then I could lose weight. I'm about 75 pounds heavier than I need to be. You said it takes a couple weeks for it to take affect I'm kind of wondering if maybe in another week which will be my third injection anything will start to actually happen with my body.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.