incresing paxil side effects

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I am new here. I have been taking paxil for 16 years. Recently my anxiety has come back  and My doctor decided to increase my paxil from 30mgs to 40mgs. I wasn,t really sure that the increse would help me or that after taking it for so long I would get side effects. I have been on the new dose for 7 days now  and the side efffect are dificult more anxiety and brain fog. Has anyone out there increased paxil after taking it for so long and gotten the side effects? And also did the increase help?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi is it Paxil or Paroxetine?
    • Posted

I didnt notice that just assumed it was Paroxetine amitie I was talking about Paroxetine not Paxil.
    • Posted

Paxil and paroxetine are the same thing.  Paroxetine is the genereic. 
    • Posted

Hi, thank you for answering, . paxil and paroxetine are the same medication. I hope you do well.
    • Posted

Ahh okay in the UK it is seroxat or paroxentine, I think in the USA it is called Paxil??  
  • Posted

Hi there, I have taken it  for26 years!!! cant get off it and it does not help me anymore either, I did increase mine at one point from 20-30 it made me worse to be honest, but that was my experience, for others it may of been okay,  after a bit of a long process, I was eventually put on another medication alongside the seroxat.  which helped initially, but then I got to a stage where that also didnt do the job.  Recently going back to get help, they wanted to double my dose so being on 20mg now to 40mg, I refused this.  I think that to really know if it will help or not, yu are going to have to give it around a six week window, I would assume that changing the dose will be a little like when you first started it, if you are unhappy though or if your anxiety is really bad then go back to the doctor and tell them .
    • Posted

Why can'tyou get off of it ? Side effect withdrawal is too hard to deal with ?  Is was on Paxil for 15 years and finally was able to get off of it  5 years ago. It was not easy though.....it takes time to come off slowly and there are always the withdrawal syndrome you have to deal with....but I am so glad am off of it.......I was initially taking 20 mg, but ended up staying on about 10 mg.....but even then the side effect were even too much to bear.......in the end it did not even help depression, in fact the depression was even worse at times plus all the other stuff to deal with i.e. agitation, aggression, homicidal ideas, impatient and violent tendencies.....horrible....I hope you can get off of it........

• Posted

Hi there, the side affects were just too bad for me even with the liquid and the 10 percent reduction, I dont have the support either, the last time I tried I ended up so ill and had to go back up, so after 4 attempts over the years I have given up.  I still hope that one day my life will allow me to take the time for me to do it, well done you because I know how hard it is to get off it and what you hae to go through.
    • Posted

Than you lorraine,

I am so sorry you have had such a bad experience.. I hope things get better for you.  

• Posted

Hi Amitie I am okay I get by now and I dont have the disabling anxiety but I am unsure if upping the dose for you is a positive thing or not.  I know that people who have been on it for years do tend to get immune to it and then needd to taper, change their medication.  Ask to see someone who has more knowlege about this drug if you can, I hope you get some relief and feel better really soon 
    • Posted

Thank you for your comments.  The  doctor who suggested this is a psychiatrist. She claimed it could help. but who knows. despite my telling her I have been on for 16 years at 30mgs.  dealing with meds can be so frustrating.
    • Posted

In theory you would assume that by upping the  dose it would help and I guess only time will tell as with anything you get the affects of going onto something.  Is it worse since going increasing the dose, as this would suggest that it is the increase that is causing it to be a problem.  If you research what they call poop out on it,, you may come accross some information that will help you, but be aware when you do research it, it can make your anxiety worse by what you read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.