Indeterminate Barretts- what does this mean?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I was diagnosed with grade 2 oesophagitis and indeterminate for Barretts on the 10th of Feb. Not sure what this means or when I should have repeat gastroscopy to re sample. My gp needs pushing to get anything done so any advice would be welcome

Many thanks

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Stella,

There are 3 grades of Barretts Esophagus Dysplasia:-

Low grade

Indefinite(or Indeterminate)

High grade

So you are in the middle ranked one as I am,which means you will have an endoscopy every two years and take my advice and have sedation prior to it.

I do hope you are not too bad with it,I've had 3 decent months recently but before that,well it was hell for a while.

By all means you could seek a second opinion but you will still get the same result.

What medication are you on for it (if any)?

Regards Malc

• Posted

I'm taking Omeprazole. On my own, I'm taking Manuka Honey, Camomille and green tea and licorice (pill form.)
  • Posted

I think they said that they weren't sure it was Barretts, but no dysphasia was found in the samples they took. Does that still mean that I'm ranked in the middle? My doc didnt seem to be bothered at all.

I'm on 60mg Lansoprazole per day which doesn't do too much, though its hard to tell as I have silent reflux. All I do know is that since the gastroscopy my stomach burns every time I drink something warm and I have the feeling of being burnt from the inside out with a cigar. That's what scares me and makes me want to ask them for another gastroscopy. The procedure itself doesn't bother me at all. Better safe than sorry, I think smile

• Posted

Hi Stella,

The term indeterminate I think means that no significant dysphasia was detected in any cells from the sample taken,which is not much help really to you,but I'm just the same,and I think it means that dysphasia could occur at some later point,hence two yearly checks,depends on how you eat and drink and lifestyle as to what happens,I lost both mum and dad with esophagus cancer so have enough concern to deal with.

This diagnosis puts us in the middle group,but I don't think the doctors are really sure what happens from now on in,but at the moment I feel a lot better,and I no longer take regular lansaprazole/ranitidine,only when I feel that my symptoms worsen,as long term usage of PPI's is not advisable.

From what you have described about the burning sensation I would say you are not too advanced as some symptoms are so much worse,distension,retching,breathing problems,this forum has a plethora of people's experiences and believe me we are fortunate so far,although as i said I had my bad spell prior to Christmas.

Good luck to you and hope you get some relief.

Regards Malc

• Posted

Mystery solved - it meant they weren't sure if it was Barretts or not. The second OGD showed no Barretts. I have since been told that it was a junior doc who did the first OGD and made a mistake in identifying it. The second OGD was performed by an experienced surgeon, so I feel confident in accepting his findings.

just goes to show, they're not always right!

• Posted

Hi Stella, 

Not wishing to pour oil on troubled water, but I had similar experience where Barretts was diagnosed, then a later consultant said he didnt believe I had it as it was 'borderline' and I knew I had all the syptoms which were in fact getting worse, and very similar to what you have, so I insisted on further endoscopy which did identify barretts and at a higher level than previously.  So whilst it sounds a good result, you might want to keep an eye on it and ask for a further if symptons continue.  You are right they do need to be pushed into action!!

regards

Larrine 

• Posted

Hi Larraine, thanks for your reply. I think there may be a difference as the consultant did do another endoscopy. Barretts was diagnosed in Feb then undiagnosed at the end of April. The segment which was suspected was only 2mm in the first place. 

I'm due an appointment with the consultant who said there was no barretts at the second endoscopy soon so I will check with him. I'm due surgery soon so that should put an end to any acid problems I have smile 

• Posted

Hi Larraine, thanks for your reply. I think there may be a difference as the consultant did do another endoscopy. Barretts was diagnosed in Feb then undiagnosed with a gastroscopy at the end of April. The segment which was suspected was only 2mm in the first place. I've seen it on the computer at my consultants office. 

I'm due an appointment with the consultant who said there was no barretts at the second endoscopy in the near future so I will check with him. I'm due surgery soon so that should put an end to any acid problems I have smile 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.