Indwelling Catheter & Drinking Alcohol?

Posted , 5 users are following.

hi - do any you guys think that drinking alcohol would cause an indwelling catheter to block more than it would without?

perhaps i dring too much? - about 2 1/2 bottles of port per week.

cheers

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lander.  I don't think that would hurt you.  I know my doctor said wine is good for the blood.  And that is a small amout for a week.  Are you moving aroung alot are you wearing a leg bag.  The ball in the bladder is going to move some and earatate the bladder.  Do you bleed around the catheter.  Make sure its tight and secure.  I know when I had a catheter for the 2 days afyer I had my urolift.  I had some blood and urine coming out of the tip.  I was told I was moving around to much  Take care  Ken   
    • Posted

hi ken - thanks for your reply - i've had a cath for over 1 1/2 yrs due to nhs waiting list for turp - i'm due for admission within the next 4 wks.

to be honest although i've obviously secured the leg bag i've never secured the cath tube although they have given me things to stick to my leg for that purpose.

also the district nurse never seemed concerned that the tube was not  secured.

i posted previously about "flip flo" valves but i still afraid to try them as i've had no feedback or don't know anyone who has used them.

i'm quite active but always aware of the cath's presence.

• Posted

1 1/2 years - That is absolutely amazing!! If that is only beacuse you are waiting for the TURP procedure I'm agast. The most that I have had to deal with a cath is seven days. Pretty sure the longer it is in place the greater chance for infection. And to think of all the hoopla in the US re health insurance. That said, those adhesive holders for the tube are great as long as they are placed correctly. 
    • Posted

Ken,  I see that you  had the urolift 19 days ago.   I had one done just yesterday.   How is it going for you?
    • Posted

I'm doing very well How are you.  The first week was the worst for me .  I had a catheter put in for my own good.  I don't pee on demand Had it for 2 days.  How are you were you able to pee after. You should feel great in about a week.  Let me know.  Drink alot of water  Ken 
    • Posted

Hey Ken, thx for the reply,  Well I am just 1 day in to it, however my doc did not put a catheter in and I realized this morning that I had a problem, and of course it is Saturday so I found myself in the emer. room and they drained bout 1000 liters so now i have one in.    I stumbled onto this site questioning having a glass of wine with it in?     I know one thing for sure when my body feels like it has to go it hurts like hell.   but at least i am going!  Anthony
    • Posted

Tony  The last few people that had the urolift done needed to be catheter within 3 or 4 hour of going home. I think the urolift people should look into at least having a catheter for the first 24 hours To help with clogs.   How long are they going to keep it in.  I had mine for 2 days. The procedure is not what is causesing the pain.  It's the catheter.  That was the first time I ever had one. Never again  It hurt to pee that couple of days and had alot of blood coming out fron the tip of the penis.  The first day they took it out it will hurt to pee.  That is because the urethra does not have any lube in it. so the pee is going to hurt the first day.  How long are you going to have it in.  It's 2 month's now have no problem and on no meds.  You should be fine in a week or 2  E-mail me anytime if I can help you  Ken 
  • Posted

Hi Lander,

2&1/2 bottles of port wine a week at say 18% alcohol content,  is roughly 4 standard drinks per day.  Every day.   

Just so that you know ...

• Posted

Are you waiting to have a Turp done.  Please look into something else.  That is when more problems will start   Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.