Infected tooth, amoxicillin but now swollen?!

Posted , 5 users are following.

So.. I had a toothache last week pain started to fade. I was taking less pain killers after a few days. Anyway I started to get pains in my jaw. I went to the dentist today turns out I've broken a tooth and it's become badly infected. I'm due to have it removed but have to have amoxicillin for 7 days first to get rid of the infection I guess. After my visit today I'm now in pain again and my cheek has swelled up and all under my jaw also my lip feels like it's swelling. Could this be an abscess but wouldn't the dentist of seen that this morning on an x-Ray? Does amoxicillin help with pain and swelling?!

Thanks xx

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Dental pain is no fun at all.  Just got through with my 3rd appointment at the endodontist.  Abcess and then re abcess.  Finally got the root canal behind me and am on 2 different antiobiotics.  Have they given you the option of keeping the tooth via root canal?
  • Posted

Sanantha,

The infection has to be cleaned out by an endodontist and the bacteria removed and put in the canals of the tooth.  At least, that's why my endodontist performed on me.  I see him again this Wednesday, but after a week of Amoxillin and ibuprofen, yes, the swelling has gone down and at least I'm not in excruciating pain; however, due to loss of bone under this tooth, I will probably have to have it removed...and opt for an implant or something.  The amoxicillin should be helping with the pain and swelling but I don't think it can be seen with an X-ray.  If your tooth is broken, yes, it has to be reemoved as well.  A regular dentist doesn't drill into the tooth to clean out the existing bacteria and abcess which may be the reason for your continued swelling and pain.  If I were you, I'd get referred to an endodontist and at least get a 'shot' of amoxicillin in the area of the tooth. Amoxicillin should help with the pain & swelling.  If not, call your dentist immediately; my swelling went down altho not completely~ But at least it doesn't hurt!

• Posted

Samantha,

You mentioned that you had an abcess - then another absence.  My abcess/infection of last week went down after a week of antibiotics and ibuprofen.

I so don't want to lose another tooth that I'm holding onto it even though my dentist recommends my removing it altho I see my endodontist for a followup on Wednesday.  The x-ray showed that there was very little bone left to support the tooth (saw it with my own eyes) and it is actually a bit lose (not a lot, just a little).  But I want to hold onto it for as long as I can.

The endodontist had to do what he did to eliminate the excruciating pain and to clean out the bacteria that developed within the tooth.  At least it doesn't hurt!!!  If he also recommends my having it removed - I guess I have to come to terms with that and think implant!!! but if that's the case I want to wait until January since I used up my insurance for the year

Root canal kills the nerve in the tooth but also weakens the tooth so I might be wasting money on root canal if this tooth because even more weak than it is.  I just hate the thought of losing it (sad

• Posted

I've been going through the same thing lately. I think you must stop taking that amoxicillin because its double the pain that you are feeling. 

• Posted

All the dental professionals agree that the tooth is not worth saving because of the bone loss so I have to have it extracted.  It feels ok now, but it's ticking time bomb; I'd like to hold on to it for a little while at least sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.