Infection

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I had a vaginal hysterectomy 17 days ago (uterus + cervix) I started having, what I thought were hot flushes over last few days, I was wondering why because my ovaries werre left then I wondered if I had temperature I have also had like a brownish stain on my pad since beginning of week. So I made app with GP and went this evening he told me it was an infection and gave me 2 lots of antibiotics for 7 days. It's really upset me and worried me I should have gone doctor earlier when I first got the stain but it's not really like a discharge. I have felt really unwell today so I am relieved I went to see my GP but worried why I have got infection. I know probably sounds silly but I'm writing this in middle of fhe night!!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm talking to someone as I'm really hot I've had a adminal hysterectomy last Nov and had a bit of discharge blood which is normal and soon went was given antibiotics for first few days to combat infection
    • Posted

Hi caroline thanks for reply I was under impression I would be given antibiotic after op to combat infection after given info about it from hospital. I hope you are recovering well.
  • Posted

I don't think infection is uncommon after any pelvic surgery. Especially when they accessing vag to do it as it is so close to anus. Plus any stitches are embedded in exactly right warm, moist conditions for infections to thrive. No sterile dressings protecting that lot. Plus we are relying on a traumatized body to try & keep area clean as we can't. Inside I'm talking about. Also you are more susceptible to infection having had major surgery. It is no reflection on anything you've done or your fault at all. Just pure bad luck.
    • Posted

Hi robyn thanks for reply I suppose you're right in fact it was only after I had been docs that I remembered I'm sure I read in some info I got off hospital after I decided to go ahead that you are given antibiotics at time of op to combat infection but I never was. I was worried it was something I had done although I'm very hygenic showers everyday own towel etc. The only other thing is I have been using Femfresh for the first time, which I bought because there was possability I would have a a+p repair and it was recommended on here, I don't normaly use anything like that or maybe as you say just bad luck. Just feeling a bit low right now. I hope you are recovering well.
    • Posted

You may have been given IV antibiotics in theatre which you wouldn't necessarily know about or remember anaesthetist mentioned. I still think it's good to use one of those cleaners for private parts as they don't alter important ph level down there. It is better than using soap or shower gels. I use one and have done for a long time and continued using post-op & onwards. Hope you feeling better now.
    • Posted

Yes maybe so didn't think of IV antibiotics. Thanks robyn yes I'm feeling a bit better than I was Friday anyway. 
  • Posted

Infections do happen. I was pretty unwell the week after my vaginal hysterectomy. Without pain meds I felt as if a truck hit my belly. Also you bleed all sorts of colours so you cant be sure if normal or not. Feel better soon. It really does take 6weeks.
    • Posted

Thank you for reply Marketa hope you are doing okay yourself x
    • Posted

Oh yes I am fine now. Best decision I made is to have this done. Thanks and feel better soon.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.