Infection 6 months after TKR

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had a right TKR 6months ago and now have an infection, has this happened to anyone?

They aspirated my knee , I can barely walk , I'm so worried

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

My surgeon and his assistance dressed up in spacesuit looking head gear and such to avoid such a problem.  I could see their big heads weaving back and forth as they worked.  They also gave doses of antibiotic through the IV during and after the procedure.  The antibiotic is standard for such a procedure.  Surely they can repeat this.
  • Posted

Our nephew is an infectious disease Dr and his theory or approach is that our skin carries enough staph to kill us but on the other hand the body also carries enough of its own antibodies to handle most. With the addition of antibiotics on a short term basis it can be cleared up. However; certain people, me included, cannot fight the infection and that's when problems occur. I developed epistaph or an infection of the skin........probably from a hair folical or such. These normally manifest themselves in 28 days. I wound up having to have the prosthesis removed and a plastic spacer inserted, the interior completely flushed and a picc line inserted with antibiotic infusion twice daily for 2 months. The leg was immobilized for 4 months and I wasn't allowed but 20° bend and toe touch weight bearing. Keep in mind, it wasn't the tkr surgery that caused the problem but removal of a plate and screws that were used to repair a broken femur that resulted from from a fall the day after tkr revision.

I'm guessing the aspiration was to draw fluids for lab work and to see if you actually have an infection and heat kind. They did the same to me 3 times. Yes , that process really can bruise and bang your leg .

My problems all started from a rare tumor that hemoraged. They aspirated my knee 5 or 6 times and put me out 3 times to drain off the blood. They were taking 65 to 75 cc with each needle withdrawal and 200 cc each time I went under. Then I had 30 rounds of radiation and finally a synovectomy and finally the tkr. 9 years later it came loose due to the tumor and that's when I had the revision.

So.....with all of that being said. Sounds like they are right on top of yours. Ice is the best method of pain relief for that needle puncture as there is a lot of bruising and disruption caused by a needle. I used to say it felt like the rammed a turkey baster in there and wiggled it around. Hope the lab results come back negative ascthevword infection can really mess with the mind.

• Posted

Not sure what an mri will do as normally the won't mri a tkr knee. The implant shows up as a black blob unless they are looking outside of joint area. Normally lab work shows what's inside that fluid they removed. Hope they get a handle on it soon soon treatment can begin

• Posted

Same here ... so far no too happy , surgeon saw me this morning and said if bloods ok I can go home . I can hardly walk , will have a chat with him later
  • Posted

No experience of this myself but Oh my Lord just had to say how sorry I am  for you what a set back! Good luck with it all

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.