Infection and Pain after vasectomy

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there,

My husband had a vasectomy 2 weeks ago. 4 days after the operation he had severe pain and his testicles swelled up to double the size they normally are. We went back to the doctor and he said that he had a rare infection - put him on antibiotics and pain meds.

The antibiotics are now finished and although the swelling has gone down, his left testicle is rock hard and hasn't dropped. It is still painful sometimes and the pain runs up to and around to his lower back. We've been phoning the Urologist every day but he's either in theater or his is busy and doesn't return our calls.

Could it be possible that something went wrong? What can be done to fix the problem? And is it safe to resume normal sexual intercourse I'm afraid something bad will happen!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Don't panic just yet. He may need more antibiotics. I was still bad after 4 weeks (wound open).

I'm not a good case though, still in serious pain after 3 years. If things don't improve in come back.

Your husband probably won't want any frisky stuff with painful balls.

• Posted

Swelling is very common as is infection after a vasectomy, both of these can affect the recovery time from the procedure between a couple of days or a month or more.

With regards sex I'd avoid until pain subsides as the testicles won't take kindly to being bashed about and liklely to increase pain and prolong recovery.

Sadly problems after vasectomy are all too common.

I'd say don't worry too much at the timescale at this point due to the fact he has had swelling and infection.

If pain is high then perhaps revisit GP and get better pain relief.

Hopefully things will settle down over the next few weeks and you'll avoid any of the other common problems associated with vasectomy.

Must say I wish I'd never had mine done. 3 years of hell and just had further surgery to try and lessen the pain...so far since further surgery pain has been worse

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.