Infection in implant

Posted , 4 users are following.

Need some advice. I'm fourteen months on from a RTHR been doing fine apart from couple of blips including a fall six months ago. Anyway today have felt cold and "off" all day and now I've developed a sharp pain coming and going in the area where the implant is. I'm scared I have an infection- though not sure how or why. Anyone have any ideas. It's not hot to the touch and not red. I'm going to ice and rest but just knowing I won't be able to see a Dr without a load of hassle is stressing me. I've been discharged by the hospital so can't contact them. 🤕

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Catrin

Do you have a temperature at all? And has the pain occurred following any particular activity ?

• Posted

No  and no. I have been busy ( probably overdoing ) suff  since last week. But nothing major. Maybe it's my body's way of saying slow down? Did have a pulled muscle (GP said it was torn but I don't think so) couple of weeks ago and maybe now it's better I've ploughed into stuff again. I need to get my head around the fact that I possibly can't do everything I used to before and that I w have a new normal??? 
    • Posted

You are most likely to get a temperature if you had deep infection within the joint and the pain is 'usually' more of a throbbing pain - then again everyone is different - so it's hard to advise you - I would suggest taking it easy overnight and see how you go , take some paracetamol which will help any temperature , pain or inflammation - if you are still feeling rotten in the morning do see your GP earlier rather than later . Don't worry - the most likely cause is just that you have pushed yourself too hard - let us know how you get on xxxx big hug
    • Posted

Thanks for the info my husband has noticed that I'm bending the way I used to in the past not the way I've been taught post op. I've taken paracetamol and am having an early night. I will keep you posted. Thanks x
  • Posted

The only way to know whether you have an infection or not is for a physician to look at a number of different things, such as, physical symptoms, evidence of fluid surrounding the implant in x-ray or MARS MRI, results of blood tests for sedimentation rate and c-reactive protein, results of fluid taken out of area near implant during hip aspiration. Usually when several of these are positive for infection, they can say that you have one. Sometimes they can only tell for sure when they open you up and have lab tests done on fluids around the implant.

Usually you wait for awhile to see if physical symptoms go away before doing any of that other testing. It isn't an emergency situation. I have infection suspected in pain around the hip that I have been having since THR almost 10 months ago, and had the bloodwork, MRI and hip aspiration. Results all negative so far, but will be having tendon repair and exploratory surgery in my hip, and they will know for sure then.

• Posted

Hope it goes well for you. I'm going to have an early night and hope it helps me. Thanks for your reply.
  • Posted

Even if you can't see your doctor you should be able to be triaged and have a telephone conversation with one of them.  Do you have a walk in centre near you that is another option?

Don't stress there is always a solution love.  But if it's still there tomorrow please call the doctor.

Love Gill xx

• Posted

Thanks I didn't think about that. Yes I'm close to a walk in centre and I can call GP.
  • Posted

Hi all just to report I'm much better today. Just a blip I guess and still panicking when I get strange aches and pains. Thanks for all your suggestions
    • Posted

So glad to hear that Catrin . It's easy to panick when you get an unexpected pain - hardly surprising with the amount of emotional investment we all put into this process xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.