infections in peri

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all.

Am I alone or is this common?

I went to the docs on Monday because I suspected yet another UTI. However the result of my pee showed no abnormalities. Now it gets embarrassing. I keep smelling a fishy aroma. Arrggghhh I can't believe I've said that!! I understand that it could be an infection but wouldn't it have shown up in my pee sample? Also is this likely to be connected to my hormones?

Thanks lovely ladies.

Sorry for the embarrassing questions!!

Helen.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had the same thing when I first started peri. I was burning when I peed and was sure I had a uti. My doctor said test showed I didnt but gave me antibiotic anyways because he believed I wasnt making it up. He also told me that the test showed that I was dehydrated even though I drink 4 bottles of water a day. He told me to increase this to 6 per day. I did and I noticed that if I dont get my 6 per day for  a couple days in a row I start buring and have smelly discharge. I carry water with me all of the time now. Sounds weird I know but this peri monster has many surprises.
    • Posted

Thanks Kimberley.

I have drank more over these couple of days with the weather being so hot. I realise that I need to drink more and must discipline myself to do so. Hopefully this will make a difference because I'm sick and tired of peri. I'm off to the doctors tomorrow.

Helen.

• Posted

Hi, Helen.  I am Peggy.  57 years old and 3 years post menopause.  I recently had what I thought was a UTI or bladder infection, but a urine test did not detect enough bacteria for it to register as a UTI.  Very alarming, as I was starting to experience so many symptoms of ovarian cancer (frequent urination being one of them), which for the most part have all subsided at this time.  I went to my gynocologist last week and she said everything appeared to feel and look normal.  But because I was experiencing pain she sent me for an ultra sound which I am awaiting results.  From what I have read, UTIs are common in post menopausal women, and more than likely, perimenopausal women as well. 

• Posted

Helen you could possibly have bacterial vaginosis which often can mimic a uti because it irritates the bladder. Bacterical Vaginosis gives off a fishy odor. A routine smear test will show it up. Its nothing serious just means you need to take more good bacteria/probiotics.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.