Inflammation

Posted , 5 users are following.

Does anyone have any suggestions for anti-inflammatory drops, creams, oils or ointments of any type that has helped with your MGD/blepharitis? I do all the hygiene stuff which keeps the crusts absent and eyelashes from falling out which is amazing to a certain point.

My problem is constant inflammation of varying degrees to my eyelids (or to be more precise the Meibomian glands). when they are at their worst inflamed there is literally no oil getting through to my eye which is really irritating and my eyelids become reddened around the lashes which creates a really annoying self-image paranoia + the inability to converse with anyone without being distracted by blinking a million times and feeling like I would like to close my eyes altogether or rip them out lol. I have tried drops but the lubrication effect seems to wear off after 10 minutes and I just don’t have the patients to be doing it that often.

The only thing that has seemed to work well for me so far is a tiny amount of castor oil applied to the lids at night (takes a few days to adjust to it). I have not tried steroids yet or antibiotics with anti-inflammatory properties but right now I am using chloramphenicol drops which are hopefully doing something + bead type warm compresses regularly which are helping but only slightly.

I saw an American youtube video recently about a doctor prescribing androgen gel to patients with MGD/Blepharitis and after researching why I realised that it’s because it reduces inflammation in the body, for the MGD/Blepharitis type that I am sure I have it seems to work well for patients that have tried it. That said there is plenty other things on the market that would have the same effect on the eyelids but more localised and less side effects are preferred, I don’t like the idea of roid-rage, shrinking nether regions and pancreatic cancer etc. It seems like too much of a trade-off in my situation.

Be interesting to hear what others make of this – Many thanks for taking the time to read if you got this far without falling asleep. Additional information – I am UK based

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My Opthalmologist has me on a 50mg of doxycycline to bring down the eyelid inflammation. I also use the bead compress and a simple eye massage after the compress. Then I apply Avenova (US prescription lid cleanser) with a Qtip along the lash lines top and bottom. 

This is is working very well for me. 

• Posted

i would ask your doctor about Azsite its a zpack for the eyes only apply to lids miracles it did for me. I also had good luck with Alrex...its a steroiod..and very expensive. In the very beginning 8 years ago, when i was very inflammed the Azsite worked miracles..
  • Posted

I've had Blepharitis for about 25 years.   It is tne bane of my

existence.  However it has sort of come and gone over the years

but have never found anything that really controls it.  As for

steroids you can forget that.  I've been on prednisone for almost

three years for another problem and it didn't do a thing for my

eyes.  Just keep trying different drops and the cleaning is crucial.

I actually order eye wash from the UK (I'm in Florida) called Optrex,

it seems to be the most soothing but not a cure.  I've tried about

everything to be bought on Amazon.  I did try the Wet Ones

briefly but they dried my lids out so bad I got scared about putting

that stuff near my eyes.  Just keep at it until you find a regimen

that works for you....I've had assorted anti-biotics for other things

and none of them helped my eyes either.  Sorry I can't give you some

advice that would actually help and not be such a downer but I've

dealt with this for so long and tried so hard to come to a place

where I can live with it.  Good luck!

• Posted

I am in the US, so what I use may not be available in the UK.  The best lubricating drops for me are Celluvisc (no preservative) by Refresh.  They are thicker than regular drops and really give me long lasting relief.  By prescription, there is Azasite.  Put in one drop per eye per night.  It is an antibiotic not a steroid and really gives tremendous relief.  I am lightly scrubbing my eyelids with the small piece of Wet Ones on a Q-tip AM and PM.  I got the suggestion from this website, and it has helped with redness and irritation.  Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.