Inflammation of Blood Vessels?

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello all,

Having just finished helping our youngest daughter move, I spent some time last night wondering about why I felt the way I felt during the move.

I was a very active, energetic, and fit person until I contracted PMR.  I'm a 67 year-old man and am trying to be as active as possible in spite of the PMR.

Yesterday, before prednisone "kicked-in," I think I scared everyone with my huffing and puffing.  I was better in the afternoon, but in the morning I was exhausted and out of breath -- A LOT.  So here is my question:

If the pain of PMR is coming from an inflammation of the blood vessels, and if that inflammation swells the blood vessels and therefore restricts flow, are we endangering ourselves -- especially our hearts, by exercising?

Thanks for your input ahead of time.

4 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

No surpise there Bob, we were all fit and energetic before PMR and/or GCA came along and stopped us in our tracks.  It is not a killer, it just destroys your quality of life and you have to find another. That takes time and you have to learn to say NO, that is not possible at present and that is a very hard thing to do.

Gentle exercise is good for you and so is walking everyday for as far as you can ie if you can only manage 10mins at first, then each day it will get longer.  Nordic Pole walking is excellent.  So is Aqua aerobics, Tai Chi  etc but you must always tell the person running the exercise that you have PMR.

I am not surpised that you were better in the afternoon, what time did you take your pred in the morning and what time did you start lifting items or helping to lift.

When you felt exhausted you should have stopped and rested, it is your body saying 'enough is enough'.  

Hope you are being sensible today and just taking it easy and listening to your body.

• Posted

There is a discussion on excercise somewhere on this forum.  Lots of information there.

As Lodger says - exercise is good if you have PMR, but make sure your heart is ok before you start.  If you overdo it, in any way, you will feel absolutely exhausted.  The idea is 'stop' BEFORE it hurts.

• Posted

Its a bummer... I had a brand new adult tricycle delivered the day before I suddenly aged to 90 years on waking... unable to move, bruxh my hair or turn my neck along with the worst pain ever. I have still not been able to ride my tricycle which is waiting for me in the shed... nearly 2 years now. However I am beginning to see improvements on top of the pain and inflamation relief from Pred. I have been digging and planting in my vegetable garden this past two months... I do ten feet by three feet at a time and dig and weed slowly. It usually takes about one hour of steady work and then I go in and have a lie down and watch a movie on DVD so I don't jump up and down doing other stuff. My vegetable garden is looking good... almost back to three years ago. and boy have some weeds crept in over that time!

It does change our lives but funnily enough I am seeing things for the better by not rushing, overdoing stuff and taking more time to look and see everything. My muscle tone is in=mproving very slowly and I am noticing far more strength than of late. Just thing slow but sure and rest and enjoy. Don't let people who dont understand get you down and always accept help from anyone. My 'heart' condition has improved no end since ceasing Omneprazol PPI which was causing the most awful aruthmia.

• Posted

Hello Bob, I also get so breathless when I try to do things, I am waiting on eckocardiogram as I do have heart problems already, finding it difficult to do everything. Cannot help but will look forward to the good advice given on this forum. Good luck. Muriel
  • Posted

Bob

If you follow this link https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/polymyalgia-rheumatica-and-gca-1708

There are exercises you can follow easily.

• Posted

Lodger and all,

Thanks for all your help.

I have been able to exercise, to some extent.  I understand that we have to pace ourselves, etc, and I have reviewd the exercises that are available to us.

But I had a lapse of understanding about WHY I was breathless -- the mechanics or biology of breathless found in PMR.  I'm simply the kind of person that likes to understand things as much as I can.  

Bottom-line, I suppose, is that I want to make sure I don't make my wife a widow because I want to walk a few miles each day.  I don't mind huffing and puffing -- never did mind -- as long as it's not a danger signal.

From Eileens reply, it's probably not a danger signal.

Thanks again,

• Posted

I have a medical journal article that addresses this for long term prognosis, but I can't seem to post it. I will try to email, perhaps.
  • Posted

I don't think you are endangering your heart no so I wouldn't worry about that. Unless of course the autoimmune bit of the PMR has done damage to your heart, which it can do. I have atrial fibrillation, due to damage done to the cells in the heart that give electrical signals to the various parts of the heart telling the muscle fibres to contract and creat the heart beat. The cardiologist thinks that it is damage due to the autoimmune disorder. But that is a different case from the huffing and puffing we find ourselves doing when overdoing it with the old muscles!

The pain almost certainly comes from the muscles themselves as opposed to the blood vessels. The role of the blood vessels is that they transport nutrients and oxygen TO the muscle cells and then transport the waste products AWAY. There are two reasons for muscle pain in this context. If the muscles don't get enough oxygen for the effort they are being asked to make they go into oxygen deficit - a state called ischaemia. That is what causes the pain we call claudication when legs or arms start to ache after doing things (and in GCA the jaw too). If you stop doing the activity then the pain improves until you restart. It is also ischaemia that causes the pain of angina or a heart attack: the blood supply to an area of the heart is slowed or even stopped by narrowing of the blood vessels for some reason, a stenosis as it is called, or a clot blocking the flow altogether. The other reason for muscle pain comes after extended activity (like a long run) and in the recovery period. This is due to the build-up of lactate in the cells - either because the system isn't working efficiently and removing it quickly enough or because the amount being produced is simply enormous (as in marathon running). It hurts at the time - and until the muscle cells have got cleaned out and recovered.

In PMR the muscles don't signal they are being over-used until too late - which is why I keep going on about pacing yourself, knowing your limits and sticking to them, stopping even though you still feel not too bad at the moment. Then they take much longer than normal to recover so you have sore muscles for a much longer time than you would expect. The huffing and puffing is the same as you would expect when doing any strenuous activity - running up the stairs for example or trying to carry heavy weights. You are asking your muscles to do more work, that means they need more oxygen and so you start to breathe more heavily and eventually get out of puff. But the extra oxygen isn't actually getting to where it is needed, or at least, nothing like as fast as it needs to because the blood vessels need to dilate, achieve a much greater diameter to let a faster blood flow through. Because of the inflammation of PMR they have to dilate even more. In the morning it is more difficult but by the time you have the combination of the pred reducing the inflammation, which in itself gives more space for the blood to go through, and you warming up which also leads to vasodilation (wider blood vessels)  it does get easier later in the day. Some people have also commented that a glass of something also makes them feel better - alcohol leads to vasodilation too.

So basically - everything you did yesterday was far more effort for your PMR-muscles than it used to be for your muscles when they were healthy. However - for the vast majority of us our hearts are not affected in the same way. GCA can only affect arteries that have an elastic component in the structure of the walls - and not all of them do. It isn't clear where PMR finishes and GCA begins, but it is becoming fairly clear that in GCA it is probably the blood supply to the arteries themselves that is involved - the tiny arteries that supply the wall of the temporal artery are being looked at to see if there is anything to be found there. Imagine something like the tiny roots on ivy that enable it to cling to the walls of houses. If that is so - then that may be the link between PMR and GCA. In PMR it is the microcirculation, the tiniest capillaries which link the arterial side with oxygenated blood and the venous side with blood with less oxygen and the waste products, which isn't working properly. Whether it is giant cells that are doing the damage isn't known - but something isn't working as it should.

There are people who think that in some cases the PMR finally hits after over-doing something as the final straw - running a long distance, having a very long and strenuous hill walk - but there isn't any real evidence of that. You probably won't do any real long-term damage because the natural effects of over-doing it will bring you to that brick wall that is so familiar to us all and you would HAVE to stop. But you can certainly make yourself uncomfortable enough to take a few weeks to recover fully - and as a pay-back, having to rest so much because of the pain and weakness will also contribute to losing condition so it will be harder to do those things until you have trained again. Because doing things in small steps, gradually increasing what you do, is training, whether it is walking up 2 steps this week, 3 steps next week and so on until you can manage a whole flight or training to run a marathon by starting with 1 mile runs.

• Posted

Eileen,

This is exactly the information I was looking for.  Allow me to paraphrase a small part of what you said to make sure I got it right -- the part that has to do with breathlessness....

Most probably, I am out of breath so fast because the PMR has constricted the blood vessels to my muscles.  Because of this, they cannot get the O2 that they need, so the lungs try to supply the blood with more O2, which causes the huffing and puffing.  The HEART muscles, for some reason, are not affected in the same way as my other muscles, so I probably should not be concerned about the heart.

I do realize there are always exceptions and I certainly am not holding you to any of this.  I'm only trying to feed back to you to make sure I understood your essence.

Did I get it?

Thanks!

• Posted

Yes - it's all very basic and I imagine a lot of scientists would sniff at how I've written it but I wanted to convey the concept rather than do a real treatise. You've got it!

If you have any cardiac symptoms at all though go to the doctor - and if they are enough to make you feel at all poorly, don't mess about but dial 999 - paramedics have ECG machines with them and anyone complaining of possible cardiac symptoms will have an ECG done there and then. These things are pretty hit and miss, the paramedic is the most likely person to catch the record!

I also meant to say - next time you need to be energetic in the morning, try taking some pred the night before so you get up already at the lunchtime sort of status. However - next time you are tempted this way - get the Yellow Pages out and look for a man with a van! As John says - you have had a lesson in reviewing your "Fitness to practice"! Don't try this sort of thing too often!

• Posted

So helpful .

I decided to start a little diary following this 'episode 'that has attacked my whole body .

I am now in week 6 ....(what a journey !)

the most dramatic effect from being on pred is the lesser boney pain , elbows,hips, sacrial area , shoulders ,thumb joint and base of toe.

On tryining to reduce .... 2 attempts now have took be back to the begging !!! 

What I have noticed is that the severe muscular pain in my arms has improved greatly ... I can now lift the kettle .....simple things but a few weeks ago I had to use both arms to lift , and the pain was awful .

i have noticed each day they appear stronger .if I attempt to push them a little then it's very uncomfortable .... But by stopping and rest it soon disappears .

The other symptom I have noticed is that my awful sweats appear to coincide with a 'flare up'( on attempting to reduce pred!!!)

folwing an awful sweat , generally not feeling too good , extremely hot day and night but temperature fine ...waking with extreme pain in my L thumb ,joint below big toe !! swollen , red around the toe base joint .

This settles within an hour and a half of taking my 'pred' 

Looking back quite some time I think I experienced pain in my toe joint a few years ago ..... 

Folowing my attention and try and reduce to 17.25 mgs last week my toe seems to be taking its time to settle .

would love to hear if others have experienced the same .

I have an occupational Heath appointment with work tomorrow ....

currently I don't think I am in a position to return as my reduction attempts have took me backwards rather than forwards ....

As this is my first experience of the 'alien invasion'

what is the expected recovery ? 

I don't want to be too optimistic that I will be running around too soon then return to work and find that I am struggling .

would appreciate everyone's thoughts .

helene 

• Posted

See - after 6 weeks I think you should still be on your starting dose - and that needs a bit of extension because you've attempted to reduce unsuccessfully. And if you aren't allowed to get the entire existing inflammation under control first - you won't succeed in reducing. You are young (relatively speaking at least) and it is known and accepted (by some) that younger patients have a habit of being atypical in other ways too. And you are desperately vit D deficient which I bet is adding to it all.

There is no expected recovery - how long is a piece of string? Much depends on good management: right pred dose for long enough to start with, sensible reductions (in your case I'd say not more than 1mg ever, shouldn't be more than 2mg even at 20mg and it reduces with every reduction), and disciplined management on your part. By that I mean REST - and I know how difficult that is but it is a crucial point. And you have touched on one point there - lifting the kettle! You are getting in training - your muscles are totally out of condition and will take some time to get back into them. I couldn't lift a kettle either, it was bad enough trying to lift the tea mug! It was an awful long time before I could pick up a frying pan in two hands - never mind in one. You have to do it on the "little and rest and repeat" basis - and you will get there. Just not yet.

Interesting though your mention of your toes! Long before I had anything identifiable as PMT the joint in the middle of my big toes became desperately sore, I couldn't bear shoes on them and adopted Birkenstocks as normal wear, summer and winter! There were like little bumps on the outside and I thought it was hard skin. In retrospect it is like Heberdens nodes - but they are supposedly painless. These definitely weren't. Then, all of a sudden after being on pred for a while I realised they no longer hurt. How bizarre - must ask a rheumy...

I'm sure Sarah Mackie would love to have a prod of your toes...

• Posted

Nothing I can add to whats all ready beeen said. 

Bob - this was one of your lessons in reviewing how you must now live - don't overdo it and pace yourself, we have all had or are about to learn our limits with PMR/GCA.

Best of luck.

• Posted

long term damage from the PMR has also concerned me Bob but I don't have a medical answer. More one from first principles.

My understanding of blood pressure control is that heart rate and artery diameter are changed in response to different demands in the body - the body measures pressure and carbon dioxide. Breathing rate follows carbon dioxide levels. Control of blood volume is exerted through the kidneys. The brain can also effect blood pressure, response to stress for example. Air temperature changes also result in blood vessel changes and thus blood flow, perhaps the effect of inflammation is similar.

Assuming blood pressure control is working well if some blood vessels are constricted due to inflammation, either arteries and capillaries themselves or increased pressure from surrounding tissues, then the same blood pressure as when healthy will result in reduced blood flow.

Thus, heart rate rises faster, out of breath quicker must occur. And if one has retained muscle tone and cardio-vascular fitness a quicker or similar recovery as the level of oxygen debt is overall less before having to stop.

"Logically", though there is seemingly sometimes nothing logical about  PMR, I would become more concerned about long term damage from PMR if my blood pressure was effected or my heart rate went outside its normal bounds.

I have no idea as to whether the above is medically sound, its a reflection of my understanding of pumps and pipes and control systems. It just seems a reasonable working hypothesis in the absence of anything more definitive without having to use my limited knowledge of biochemistry..

I have no real idea of long term damage to tissues and blood vessels from PMR inflammation but just guessing that since its not normal there must be some effects. Some weakening of blood vessels perhaps. Increased morbidity rather than mortality apparently though I'm not sure how that translates into quality of life..

In that balance between PMR stiffness and pain and pred side effects I tend to accept a bit of stiffness in preference to side effects. Hoping that there isn't sufficient residual inflammation to cause long term damage. I reduced to 5mg/day but have been patiently at 6mg/day for the last couple of months. The biggest effect I've noticed is my energy levels increased when the hot (above 30 deg C and humid) gave way to cooler, more sensible, weather. But I still can't do as many of the things, or for as long, as I used to.

• Posted

Julian,

Thanks for this.  We are somewhat alike.  I'm an engineer and a mechanially-minded person myself.

I think I followed your reasoning fairly well.  The only contrary thing you might have said relates to the targeting of the PMR process.  If the PMR process specifically goes after one kind of blood vessel as opposed to another, then the musclies to my legs and shoulders might not have enough CO2 whereas the heart muscle might have plenty.

EIleen has suggested that his is what happens.

If the above is the case, then the shortness of breath would not be because the heart was starving for O2 but rather because the legs and shoulders were starving.

So yes, my heart would beat faster and I'd inhale and exhale faster to help my legs and arms get the necessary O2, but I would not be putting the heart at risk unless I pushed it beyond where I should for my age.

In your mechanical analogy, it might be like a closed-loop system with a pump and a bunch of pipes.  If a pipe downsteam of the pump springs a leak, then the pump has to pump faster to make up for the leak.  But the leak isn't coming from the pump (heart).  It's coming from downstream of the pump (heart).

As long the pump is not forced to run higher than its rated speed then everything should be okay.

Of course, the idea situation would be to "find the source of the leak!"

Thanks!

• Posted

analogies always have their weaknesses, but can be useful.

I think the body measures pressure in the carotid, aortic arch and right atrium (auricle in my day). And CO2 measured in carotid and aorta. A centralised control system.

I suspect I become out of breath sooner as I have lost a lot of my previous fitness.

The inflamed muscles probably restrict flow in those muscles. Which means less blood flow, less oxygen to them and CO2 removed more slowly. Which leads to local pain when we exercise them. Which gets worse as all sorts of local flow on effects occur.

To confuse there are also mechanisms which dilate or constrict small blood vessels locally, which changes flow.

Basically the system is out of balance. Normal blood flow to some areas, restricted flow to others. Which, if blood pressure control is working well has the heart pumping less at the peaks but for longer.

It would be nice to know, and remove, root cause .....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.