Inflammatory condition even after ceasing Statins anyone else?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Last July I was started on a cholestrol lowering drug.  I have no other risk factors for heart disease.  I am a fit and healthy 50 year old who exercised 4 times a week ran the odd 5 km fun run etc.  After taking the lowest dose of statin for about 8 weeks I started to get progressively worse aching sore legs and lower back.  I couldn't get out a bed without groaning and walking up stairs or up a hill was agony.  It seemed to be only around my pelvic girth groin, hips and bottom of buttocks. I could no longer exercise as I was doing so went back to the Dr and told her I could not longer take them as it was interferring with my life.  She agreed I stopped and now 7 mths later still have the same degree of stiffness.  I started taking over the counter anti inflammatory tablets so I could function relatively normally as they gave me some relief but couldn't rely on them forever.  SO back to the Dr for more blood test which all came back pretty much normal my Rhuematoid Arthritis levels were alittle high but not skyhigh like someone newly diagnosed with RA. She then used Prednisone a powerful steroid and anti inflammatory drug for a 10 days couse as a diagnostic tool as mlow and belhold INSTANT relief completely back to normal.  I couldn't believe it and the relief was even evidnet on my face.  For me being active and fit it was really strting to depress me.  A refrral to Rhuematologist is dow the track BUT it cannot be a coincidnce that all this began same time as beginning the statins.  What I'm interested in is hasthis happened to anyone else and is there a solution??? please I don not want to take steroids, tehy have far too many side effects. Can anyone offer some advise??

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Really should of proof read before clicking send sorry for errors in my post.smile
    • Posted

Yes,I had muscle weakness and nueropathy,quit the statin,took vit supplements, physical therapy for 2 months,after 3 years,all symptoms are gone.
    • Posted

What suppliments Lee? and did the pain continue after the 2 mths of physio?
    • Posted

Hi,im trying to remember,i believe some i took were,b12,Thiamin,magnesium, D3. I used to get bad muscle cramps and the magnesium seemed to really help them. There are internet sites that give recomendations on supplements for nerve regeneration and muscle wasteing. The therapy got me started moving more,I was given a list of excersise to do at home daily. The thing I remember most is the therapist said whatever you do,dont stop moving. I hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

Not sure if this is of any help but I asked about the vitamin and supplements that Lee has mentioned. You can purchase a "product" called Osteocare that contains all of these supplements. It's produced by Vitabiotics and can be purchased easily from SuperDrug, Wilkinson , Boots and anywhere with a healthcare section. Reasonably priced too. I have bought some today. A box of 90 tablets cost £7:39 and you take 2 tablets a day, so the box will last over a month.

Hope this is of help.

• Posted

Kelly, I'm no expert - but like you a runner of 40 years with 31 marathons under my belt. My cholesterol was 7.2 so I had an angiogram and subsquently now awaiting a stent. I did not want to go on statins because of all the bad press they receive. Because i have a monk-like lifestyle and been almost vegan for years my consultant told me my condition was hireditary. I tried everything to bring my cholesterol down but nothing worked, i could write a book believe me.   

I was faced with statins or the possibility of a heart attack and a life without my  beloved running. I decided to take statins but did'nt want going to go down the muscle problem route without a fight. In tandem with statins i take CQ 10 and other recocomended suppliments. Fingers crossed i only have minor side effects at the moment and hopefully they will wear off in the future. I know its early days and the bad side effects could rear their ugly heads at anytime but fingers crossed i'm either one of the lucky few or CQ 10 has made a big difference. 

We should stop calling them "side effects" they are "effects" My doctor mentioned Fibrates as an alternative, ive not researched them but they will be my safety net.

• Posted

Thanks for the replies, I started taking CQ10 when I ceased the statins and tweaked my diet a little more and my cholestrol is now around 6 which Dr is happy with.  My cholestrol levels are also hereditory and I believe my body makes more than some for a reason so with no other health factors I'm taking my chances without them.  Just have to fix or a least manage the after effects.  I am yet to be convinced that I coincidentally now have some sort of inflammatory condition that is not related to the statin. 
    • Posted

Rory my cholestrol was 7.8 before starting statins got to 5.4 on them and yes now 6- 6.2 without any.  To be tested again in July.
    • Posted

Hi, I am waiting to hear if my high cholesterol is hereditory. I have refused statins. The Doctor and Consultant I saw would not comment when I asked about the risks and side affects of statins something that puts further doubts in my mind. I have done lots of research and yesterday I found the HUNT 2 STUDY which makes interesting reading. I also watched 2 programs which were aired in Australia. HEART OF THE MATTER, I think you can find them on Youtube. It gives different views on statins and also says about the Framingham study done in the US. I think all GP's should tell patients about the risks of any medication. They are quick enough to tell you to eat healthily and exercise but dish out medication that can be potentially dangerous to our health. 
    • Posted

I also watched a show on the ABC Australia called Catylist very interesting.  I think it was later seen to be bias in some way from memory but it made alot of sense to me at the time and now even more so.  But it did make the point that your body makes cholestrol for every cell in the body which tells me that if I'm fit healthy eat a good diet am not overweight, no diabeties no stress no smoking the only risk factor is heredity and I can't see that as a bad thing.  My good cholestrol is very high as well.  My pain is mostly in my groin area inside of my legs and my hips. and like I said 7 mths I stopped taking them and was only on them for 8 weeks on the lowest dose possible..
    • Posted

I have had problems with my back for years and recently found out that I have lost 2 inches in height thus another reason for not taking statins. My last cholesterol test was 7.2 but when I checked on the NHS heart risk calculater it said it was healthy so what are you to believe. Unfortunately GP's have to go with the health authority guidelines and they dont look at the individual. 

Have you been to a lipid clinic? I have to go back to one in June for DNA  results to see if I have FH. 

If you didn't have the pain before you started statins surely they must be to blame. I took blood pressure tablets for 6 months that made half my hair fall out and made my BP very low. I stopped taking them and after 2 months a small amount of hair started growing back.and now 6 months later it is still really thin. 

What does your Doctor say about the pain you are in?

• Posted

They are saying it must be just conincidence and have tested me for every Arthritis inflammatory disease around all negative, but there is a seronegative Rheumatoid Arthritis??.  I have a referral to a Rheumatologist but think I'm wasting his time and mine.  I report back to the Dr this week but I think I'll save my money and seek some natural remedies for the inflammation to manage it and wait for it to subside, the Dr will want to put me on a low dose of Steroid but I'm NOT taking them.
    • Posted

My Grandmother never went to the Doctor and took no medication, she loved fatty meat, ate lots of cheese, pastries etc. At the age of 95 still very active and did most things for herself she fell and broke her hip. She had a hip replacement which was fine but after being given a cocktail of medication and poor care in hospital she died 8 months later. She came out of hospital with MRSA, Pseudomonas, cellulitis and DVT. She would drink the water left over when she cooked cabbage saying it was good for you and believed in old fashioned remedies.

My Son bought me some magnesium sulphate, in the Uk it some times goes under the name of Epsom Salts. You put into your bath a few times a week. It cetainly helps me when I have pain in my back. I find it very relaxing but it does make some people feel sleepy as it did with my Aunt. 

• Posted

At the moment I`m suffering the same effects as you have been, but with severe lower back pain and tendon pain in my right leg. I took Artovastatin for approx 8 months at 80mg daily. At first (after about 3 months) there was a pain going from my right hip down my leg which was so bad I believed it may be sciatica. Then the pain in my tendon started followed quickly by the back pain and now I can no longer walk, I hobble around with a noticable limp. Walking was my only enjoyable form of exercise and since I live in a village that`s built on the top of a mountain, there`s a lot of uphill walking involved in everyday life. Right now it`s only been 3 weeks since I stopped taking the statin and the pain is as bad as ever, although the shortness of breath has improved. I`ve had to stop taking Ibuprofen as it caused stomach trouble and I had to take ant-acid tablets to help. so it was a no win situation. I`ve been to the GP about the pain and he diagnosed possible ostearthritis. I`ve recently had blood tests and x-rays and am now waiting for a referral to a rheumatologist. There is absolutely NO coincidence that so many people have suffered exactly the same symptoms after taking this drug. If I had been warned about the risks before being given this drug, I would not have even considered taking it. I`ve since discovered it can take up to 3 years to recover, and right now it feels like it may as well be a lifetime.  
    • Posted

I know exactly how you're feeling, if I could go back in time I would follow my instincts and say no to starting them and try diet changes first.  Did you get relief from the anti inflammatory? I got some from over counter but instant and total from Steroids.  I have been to a naturopath who suggested Tumeric and Ginger capsules as a natural anti inflammatory I am almost finished my first month ( she said it could take into the second month to see results)  I have had scan and xrays which show inflammation.  My lower back is stiff in the morning but loosens up as the day goes on, my tendons in groin don't improve at all ( which explains the hill and stair pain)  I have to wait along time to see a Rheumatologist and at a huge expense I'm wondering if it's even worth going as I'm convinved it is NOT Rheumatoid Arthritis it is triggered by the statins.. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.