Inguinal Hernia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all, i have a left inguinal hernia which i noticed the bulge 3 weeks ago

it disappears when i lie down and pops up after a while when i stand up. Not alot of discomfort, just a mild burning sensation once in a while. I would say its small-medium right now

I plan to see the doctor and get a surgery in 2 months time.

1) is it safe to do purely machine exercises in the mean time? ie.. seated chest press, seated dips, seated rows, seated machine preacher curls?

2) whats the proper breathing method to NOT increase intra abdominal pressure? I know the Valsalva Maneuver is a no-go obviously, but what about stomach vacuums WHILE still breathing normally through the nose and lungs

Does blowing out your stomach while holding your breath increase intra abdomical pressure? Or does sucking in your abdomen increase the pressure??

3) Now in 2015, is the laprosopic TEP mesh method gold standard for least recurrence, chronic pain and post op complications? Still so much differing opinions and literature out there! sigh

TIA for any advice, and i hope everyone on this thread have made full recoveries from this unfortunate injury...

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I'd suggest you get a truss to stop it bulging out when exercising.  I got mine through Amazon and this helped control the hernia whilst waitng for operation (non-laparoscopic mesh repair) which has been very successful.  The smaller the hernia, the easier it will be to operate on; so don't let it enlarge any further.
    • Posted

Thanks colin95803

Why did you choose to go for open instead of laparoscopic?

• Posted

The surgeon advised it as it was a small hernia and I had had a ruptured appendix as a child which may have left adhesions in my abdomen.  That makes laparoscopy difficult.  The operation wasn't too bad but it took about six weeks to really settle down.  If I'd had a choice I would have gone for the laparoscopic repair by a surgeon who does lots of them.  Good luck!
  • Posted

The truss I used was made by Oppo and worked well.
    • Posted

thank you for all the replies

how long has it been since your operation? all good so far i hope (=

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.