Inguinal Hernia Mesh Failure, Sx Months On

Posted , 4 users are following.

In corsidering possble surgery for a failed mesh repair three four months from now, I went to see a surgeon last month. I had a hand examination, and an ultrasound. He told me I may need surgery, but not right now (watch and wait in other words). 

My hernia has been easy to live with for the most part, but too much physical activity can cause pain. I stick to light yoga to keep muscles toned. I'm more flexible after the mesh failure than before- the mesh was pretty painful and made me quite rigid when bending down to pick something up. 

During vactation, the pain totally went away for about a month, and (aside from the mesh) any bulge disappeared as well. Most of the hernia also retracted from the scrotum, and has remained retracted. So it's not true that hernias can only get worse in time, though I have no opinion on whether they can heal or not. For almost everyone, I think not. The point is, I've expeirenced great improvement, and things have not gotten worse. As long as they stay like this, I'm not getting surgery. But I will get checked again in a few months. There is no doubt that I had to change my physical lifestyle drastically to live with a hernia. That's just how things are. It wasn't any better when the mesh was in place with all that pain. So take it easy is the way for me. Good thing I'm a teacher. 

Finally, here's a line from Wikipedia: "Emergency surgery for incarceration and strangulation carry much higher risk than planned, "elective" procedures. However, the risk of incarceration is low, evaluated at 0.2% per year.[5] On the other hand, surgical intervention has a significant risk of causing inguinodynia, and this is why minimally symptomatic patients are advised to watchful waiting." and "Groin hernias that do not cause symptoms in males do not need to be repaired. Repair, however, is generally recommended in females due to the higher rate of femoral hernias which have more complications."

Well, obviously I have symptoms in terms of pain, and I believe it to be a result of inflamation and swelling when the area is stressed, not actual growth of the hernia (although that could be happening so slowly I'm just not noticing), but surgery- from my experience- just means even worse pain. And bowel strangulation rates are so low that I'm not even going to give that one thought. Chances of complications from surgery, however, are very high. At the strangulation rate my chances of cancer are greater per year.

People, we all die sometime or something. Why are we so afraid of death? You think if you keep going back to surgery again and again for every thing you have you'll live forever? I've scoured the Net and boy, is it hard to find folks who advocate a watch and wait approach to this particular type of hernia. Everyone wants a quick fix or they're scared they're going to die. The worst advice I've heard is 'get the surgery done before your insurance runs out.' Wow. 

Well, I'm just telling my experience and trying to offer here what I think is a sane approach to the extremely common inguinal hernia. I've opted for surgery, and it didn't work. If I get surgery again, stats say that it will fail again are 50%. But I've never actually heard of anyone dying from this type of hernia yet. Maybe others had. We are fragile, mortal creatures. Love life and live as long you can, but live bravely.

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Thank you thank you LaoDing!! I agree with your philosophy of living and dying. I guess some people wish they had it as easy as a hernia in life.

I have a 2cm Hiatal hernia and have had ton relearn how to eat and had to learn how to feel good on a daily basis. It was a step by step day by day learning experience. I believe I pretty much have the hang of it now. Small meals throughout the day and never eating after 5:00 p.m. Always keeping a small amount of food in my stomach. If I don't I'll get horrible palpitations. I also take Aloe Vera juice a couple times a day and a mixture of fresh made carrot/spinach juice daily. I've also finally been able to walk about 2 miles every other day. No surgery for me...

• Posted

Encouraging and thank you! Listening to my body has been quite an experience for me.

I'd just add that for me at least lots of vegetable and fruit fibre is very important. And stress- oh boy is keeping that low always a challenge!

And don't the worst case scenarios freak us out. We need to opt for courage, not dread.

• Posted

Amen!!!! I'm totally in agreement!!! NO STRESS or keep it at a low!!! I take Chinese herbs for stress.
  • Posted

I agree with you LaoDing I had my incisional hernia repaired in 2014 and life has been anything but easy, if it fails i will not be getting it repaired.  I am 70 tomorrow and know that more surgery is not  what I want.  When I have good days or even good spells I make the most of it,  Mesh is painful,  it is good to admit it family and friends do not want to hear it, and i dont blame them great to be able to be honest though.keep strong and brave.
  • Posted

For what's it worth,, here's an update. Last week I dragged some heavy furniture around and did a lot of mopping. Big mistake. Coupled with that my college doesn't have elevators and I have to climb stairs a lot. That alone was OK until now but I think I got a double whammy. I now am getting stabbing pains in the surgercal mesh area.

One thinkg I'd say is that I do not believe that mesh is that great of a thing. In a way, you can think of it as a truss stuck directly on the muscle tissue. Often the hernia is still trying to rupture (my guess) which can cause itense pain with a mesh.If a hernia is repaired with sutures, heals, and then ruptures again, at least there's no mesh. My cautious attitude about the mesh has always been there and has grown considerably. Now I have a hernia AND a mesh. Anyway, I can't find these pain stories (honestly mine is only a 6 out of 10 at worst and usually  a 2; and hopefully will return to that), but there are real mesh horror stories out there. It makes me think now that if I do go back to surgery I'll have that mesh thrown away and get sutured up. I'll take my chances.

The lesson for me here is DO NOT DO NOT lift, drag, or pull anything heavy, ever. And no thrashing around. 

• Posted

You are spot on I had second thoughts about having mesh but was talked back into it, how I wish I had listened to myself
  • Posted

Good to hear that you are adapting well LaoDing

I only ever hear the mesh horror stories, but there has to be success cases right? )_=

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.