inguinal hernia operation

Posted , 9 users are following.

Had my operation on Monday 18th Feb.2008 @ Leicester Royal Infirmary. Staff on Day Ward are excellent, took time to explain & polite. I was kept overnight due to bleeding from stitches (one continual dissolveable stitch according to Mr.Norwood) and severe prolonged pain. DON'T have open cut surgery-stick to key hole if at all possible. Much less pain & quicker recovery.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I had same hernia repair 2 weeks ago - open surgery, general anaesthetic - it was fairly painful to move about afterwards and I suffered with chronic constipation for 2 days (I think from the painkillers and other drugs)

I also had bruising all around my penis and on my shaft - it turned black and blue (very worrying) - I think this may have been caused by an injection I had in my abdomen?

Now the pain is getting less but occasionally I have a stabbing pain below the hernia cut in my groin.

I also was desperate for sexual relief after a week so I tried masturbating - my penis was quite tender but I was desperate so I carried on, but when I ejaculated the pleasure was marred by a sharp pain in my groin - I am worried about this! Maybe I should have waited a bit longer before masturbation?

• Posted

I have this exact same issue. Did your pain eventually go away?! I'm 1 month post op

• Posted

Had bilateral iguinal surgery repair 4 days ago. Still sore, but I'm moving around more. Abdomen is quite bruised, as is my penis (which oddly, doesn't hurt. Looks horrorfying though, its black and blue). The pain meds make you constipated, I highly recommend stool softners and a laxative for anyone having this surgery. You need to go to the bathroom, and straining will hurt.
  • Posted

what happened? did the pain go away? did you do any damage? i just had a similar experience.
  • Posted

Had surgery on 12th November 08 at Milton Keynes Hospital as a day case - in at 8 am, surgery at midday, back at home by 6 o'clock. Recovery going OK - some interesting twinges and bruising for a couple of days. As with others, I suffered some constipation from the analgesics (Cocodamol) so I stopped taking them after 2 days and just took a couple of Paracetamol or Ibruprofen each day for the next few days - this helped greatly as the constipation was causing more discomfort than the surgery!

Surgery open type with mesh repair - no external sutures or dressings as the surgeon preferred to use glue which seems to give a fairly neat result.

Took things easy for the first few days and then started off with a bit of gentle walking to the shops etc. Still aches a bit at the end of the day and I still get \"caught out\" by the internal mesh sometimes if I twist or cough suddenly.

Other than that everything seems to be getting back to normal so far - haven't tried driving yet as sitting very upright is one position that does cause some pulling round the wound.

• Posted

had a ingunal hernia repair on friday february 12 2010 the first night was the worst puing hurt the most. hurt for the next day by sunday was able to move around not very well not tuesday i feel 100% better than i did before although it is still very sore. Going to the washroom is a very difficult thing and the penis is very bruised and sore
  • Posted

I was mostly the same. First night was terrible but after a few days i was doing pretty good. I documented my experience at www.myhernia.co.uk
  • Posted

Hi, to all hernia op' patients and to those still waiting or undecided.

Had my 'inguinal' repair a few days ago, so hope that this will help cheer all fellow victims and encourage those who remain unsure.

My repair was open-wound, plus mesh surgery carried out under general anesthetic.

Afterwards, back on the recovery ward for a couple of hours, dressed myself with some care but not much pain (anesthetic still doing its work), and then home. Next day was not so pleasant. All my post op' symptoms are also covered in the above earlier posts - swelling and pain in the groin area below the cut, my swollen scrotum has taken on shades of darkest burgundy, as has the base and shaft of my penis.

In spite of these discomforts, I am pleased that I have completed the op'. I move slowly with care, and I enjoy chocolate cake. Drink loadsa liquids, take a laxative (most pain killers do bung-one-up) and try to sleep in one position all night. Approach with caution when going to the loo, think of it as an adventure that you will survive.

If you feel the sensations of a cough or sneeze arising, press the palm of your hand gently but firmly over the wound and try to 'exhale' the blast rather than suppress it. I take flannel baths from the basin rather than get the dressing wet or, perhaps, fall down in the shower.

I recall once, when I was very young, seeing a man in the swimming pool changing room, who had a pendulous lump at his groin, the dimensions of which were those of a toy rugby ball; he did not look happy. So, please don't delay, it really is essential to get it done at the earliest opportunity.

With all best wishes

Lojong

• Posted

I had the op via Keyhole surgery at Lymington Hospital (Hants)

Was a bit worried based on some of the horror stories, but mine went very well. Was out for no more than 45 minutes, a little sore around the incisions when I woke up but no more.

I agree that constipation is the one biggest problem (and sunburn, I sunbathed and dozed off (ouch)

6 Days on it's all pretty OK, no real discomfort apart from an itch over the wounds. Getting up from laying down is difficult as it pulls the stomach area, but I've found to double up a leg (like kneeling, then use you arm to pull against the shin does make it easy ang fairly painless. I've showered OK, eaten so much fruit I think I'd pass as a monkey at present, can walk ~½ mile with no probs, all my bits look OK, my penis neveer got swollen, discoloured, the only real discolouration is the yellow around the belly as the bruise goes down, and I pass a lot of water quite often (wonder where it all comes from. Do miss not being able to drive at present.

If I had to go round again I'd have no worriesbiggrin

• Posted

I had a keyhole inguinal hernia fixed 36 hours ago at The Treatment Centre, Queens Hospital, Burton on Trent.

I had waited 13 months for this op and on the day another 5 hours. However the staff, and premises were excellent – spotlessly clean, professional and kind.

The wait was OK due to other urgent cases and gave me plenty of time to let early apprehension fade.

There was nothing much to say about going to surgery, the tiniest of pricks as the cannula was put in and the feeling of cold (quiet pleasant!) as the pain killers preceded the anaesthetic – which put me out instantly. The op should have taken 30 mins, but it went to two and a half hours – not sure why, but that is ok.

Woke up with what felt like a stomach cramp, but I think it was from the CO2 that expands the cavity so the surgeon can see what they are doing – it slowly abated and I didn't need pain killers. I got out of bed as soon as I could and slowly walked up and down the ward to get moving.

After confirming I could pass water I was home a couple of hours later, equipped with Paracetamol, Ibuprofen and Codeine. I expected a lot of pain, but to be honest I could have managed without anything, but I felt that it would be good to take anti-inflammatories to speed recovery. I haven’t used the Codeine.

The first night was fine – woke 3 times but no major pain.

The next morning I went out for a slow walk with a stick for balance – went about ¼ mile I felt better and more 'stretched' at the end.

This morning I felt uncomfortable with 'tightness' and odd pains up to my shoulders and uncomfortable breathing. I took another slow walk and that helped ease everything.

At 36 hours, I can only say I hope if you are reading this you also have such easy op.

I will say that I did prepare as much as I could before, two days before cutting out meat etc that would add to constipation afterwards and the day before only had vegetable soup and plenty and plenty of fluids – I am so glad I did.

I still feel a bit 'light headed' from the anaesthetic, but that's not too bad. I did look into going private because of the fear of a bad experience – but what I had could not have been bettered.

Mike

• Posted

whilst you had the operation done did you feel any pain what so ever?

• Posted

No pain at all. Out for the count, just remember this was not available for people who lived many years ago. So, it easy.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.