Inguinal Hernia Pain after 3-years of surgery.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Three years ago in 2013, I had inguinal hernia repair on right side through open surgery technique and surgeon put a mesh.  In these three years after surgery I never felt any pain.  I did all kind of heavy work and gym workout without any problem.  But two months ago I wore a jeans with very tight waist.  This thing put a lot of pressure on my surgery site.  Since then i am having a severe pain.  It started with little pulling and burning sensation to high intensity pain.  But as soon as i lay down on bed in straight position, all the pain goes away.  I can't even bend, can't sit on chair comfortably, can't stand for long hours because again it leads to pulling sensation and then pain.  The pain is like sharp and very instant.  When there is no pain then i feel like i am getting better.  But again it comes without any sign.  I contacted my doctor and in Ultrasound he said nothing is wrong with mesh. there is no new hernia popping out.  He gave me pain killers.  Do you have same experince and how are you managing it?  If you have read this so far, please give some suggestions.

Thanks.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi

This nearly an identical story to my own. I visited various different doctors and had many different tests from MRI to Ultrasound and all said everything is normal. However I could not bend or wear any tight clothing or sit for extended periods. I had nerve blocks to determine which nerve was trapped . These can help . However for me it was only temporary. (Everyone is different). Mesh is likely the cause of your pain but not many doctors will tell you this. Scar tissues builds up around the mesh and entrapes the nerves. (There are 3). I would ask for this as the 1st stage but this issue is complicated and not one solution helps everybody. You only have to google post hernia pain or mesh pain to see

How big a problem this is.

• Posted

Thanks for taking out your time.

I was wondering why all this happened suddenly after 3 years. If it is nerve trapped there, why it happened after 3 years and not before. It is a bit confusing. Is there any online resource to understand it in a better way?

• Posted

As I stated it could be to do with activitiy and scar tissue building up around the mesh . Also depend what type of mesh it could of hardened or even shrunk a little bit. I had no pain for 4 years and no abnormality in any exam

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.