Injured ankle 3 months ago. Looks weird since then.

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, i'm 22, i have injured my left ankle a lot of times. I play basketball very often and i had one severe injury where i broke something in my ankle but that was years ago. I am prone to ankle injuries but they are almost always minor sprains that heal in a week or even less. About that injury 3 months ago, i was jumping over the fence and i landed badly and sprained ankle, it hurt really bad for a couple of days but after i week it got a lot better so i went back to my activities. When i sprain ankle it's usually swollen on the outside but the inside really hurts, and that's what looks a bit weird now, i'll post photos so you can see, it's not swollen, it's a bone, so i don't know, i was playing basketball and tennis since then without a problem, got maybe 1 or 2 really minor sprains that i healed in a couple of days. I injured my knee about a month ago, don't know if that's connected, this is my left ankle and i injured my right knee, so i don't know, do you think that's something i should be worried about?

3 photos

http://imgur.com/a/UsFor

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi.

I would go to the doctor and get an X-ray. All the best.

• Posted

Hi

I am not a doctor or anything...more of a botched ankle replacement victim but I would really suggest you get your ankle x-rayed and obtain an expert opinion from an othopedic surgeon. It just looks weird and should be taken seriously untill you know what causes it. This may be an old injury that is now causing abnormal bone growth. Have it checked out asap.

Leon

• Posted

Cans, you need to see an orthopeadic surgeon with this one -- even if it doesn't hurt.  That is not normal.
  • Posted

Hi. All I can say is when I viewed your photos, is that your ankle does not normal. I would strongly advise you to get it X rayed asap. My ankle looks weird but mine has had surgery and is badly swollen still 4 months later.

It probably doesn't help by going back to work a month ago being on my feet most of my 10 hour working day, but had to return to work due to financial reasons and boredom. Keep us updated when you get checked out

• Posted

I will, what do you think would be a worst case, and what would be the best case in my ankle situation?
    • Posted

I'm hoping for you that your ankle is not fractured, but that will only show up on an X ray, it could be an old injury that has resulted in abnormal bone growth. I think worse case is that you will need an operation and could be out of action for a couple of months. I dont think it is dislocated as you are not in any pain or discomfort, but realistically you need to get this sorted asap and whilst you are still young and recovery will be quicker. I'm sorry I haven't been able to give you good news but it is not going to get better on its own. Hope you get sorted
    • Posted

Thank you very much, any news is good news as i just want to sort it out. And how would they fix it if it isn't fractured. I guess it isn't since i've been playing basketball and tennis couple of times a week, and i am not sure i would be able to do that, but i don't know, i am not a doctor :D. So, my question is, what would be the way to fix it if it isn't fractured, how do they fix abnormal bone growth?
    • Posted

I think your only option is to go to hospital and get your ankle thoroughly checked out asap. I realise that you are really worried which is more reason to get sorted. I broke my ankle just slipping getting out of the shower, rushing to go to work. I've never been in hospital in my 54 years, so you can imagine how stressed I was being told that my ankle was broken, then it needing surgery, stitches and 2 months off work, no driving etc. Unfortunately you have to deal with the situation to enable you to return to your normal life.The longer you leave it the worse it will become and the more damage you will do. I'm guessing it isn't fractured as you are still actively playing sport, but whatever the problem it won't be helping it. I wouldn't do any more sports until you have had your ankle diagnosed. I'm sorry that I can't answer your question as to how they would fix abnormal bone growth as I don't know the degree  of the growth. When I was in hospital after having my operation there  was an 18 year old lad that had an extra piece of bone on his heel, and he had to have an operation to remove it. He had the operation and was sent home the same day to recover, then physio. Hope this helps, and please get sorted mate
    • Posted

I will, thank you very much, i am visiting a doctor and getting x-rays on monday so.... then will i know.
    • Posted

And i am not playing sports for around a month now since i injured my knee and it's not something severe but i man knees heal so slowly so i still would need to wait a week or 2 before coming back to these activities but i am not sure what will be with my ankle so there's no clear timetable smile
    • Posted

That's good news. As soon as you have x ray done the hospital will tell you the problem straight away and let you know what needs to happen.

I would write a list of questions before you go to hospital as there will be lots to ask. The doctor will let you know the best course of action to take and should let you know of any possible side effects and length of time to recovery.

• Posted

i don't do any sports due to dislocating my knee some twenty odd years ago.

I suffer from arthuritis in both my knees, but would like to go swimming as this is apparently really good exercise for ankle problems. There will be no quick fix regarding your ankle, but each person is different and as I mentioned on an earlier post that as you are young the recovery period will be shorter and hopefully back playing sports soon. Wishing you all the best

• Posted

Orthopedist said that if i want to take a surgery it would be only for aesthetic reasons since i have all the mobility and funcionality. The bad thing is it seems my knee situation is worse than it was thought. I need MRI scan as he suspects it's a meniscus tear and maybe i'll need artroscopy
    • Posted

Its obviously not the news you wanted, but at least you now know the problem and can deal with it to enable you to carry on with your active life. Good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.