inner ear and "sedative" meds

Posted , 3 users are following.

i began vestib rehab, three times ...i took pills for anxiety, benzodiazepine , sedative ad, and seems to lessen the vertigos but is it good take them or not , does the ear recover and gets stimulated despite those meds? thanks

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Indications that I have read are that benzodiazepines will "delay" compensation. Maybe titrate down as you get more use to doing them. The sensations need to be felt for the brain to begin the compensation process.

• Posted

The times I had to take rehab I was told I could not be on any meds that affect vestibular system. You can't retrain if it's being supressed by meds. Same with testing. Have to be off vestibular suppressants for 3 days or the test will not be accurate.

• Posted

the problem is I need to take benzo for anxiety and for walking , so i dont know how to go there....but i guessed that it is not good for the inner ear to recover.....I think you are right
    • Posted

What I told my therapist. Diazepam makes the car ride to therapy almost tolerable. She said it's useless to do the therapy if I am on a suppressant. Counter productive. I go real early to appointments. Sit in the car with my wife for half a hour before I go in and wait for my head to catch up.

• Posted

I also would like to know if somebody knows duloxetine antidepressant ued for neuropathy issues, my doctor mentionned this meds for anxiety but afraid as you said it suppress the vestibular function...the doctor does not know..
    • Posted

And yes the anxiety is a problem. Knowing I haven't taken anything and the car ride is gonna suck makes it hard. Plus knowing the therapist is going to do things that make you dizzy on purpose. Then having to ride home again even dizzier.

• Posted

they did not tell me anything , they just told me we ll try to do with them.....
    • Posted

Well I am by no means a doc or therapist. But that is what I was told. I was also told if it's not done right it won't work. Then it's a real tough road cause then you have to untrained your brain, then retrain.

• Posted

The diazepam 2 mg is all I ever take. I been told some take xanex. Switch back and forth to keep from building a resistance
    • Posted

yes i have experienced no benzo for some weeks , i could not walk 100m without everything messed up and end up with panic attack, all the brain upside down in terms of perceptions, frightening feeling hard to control, i ll try to make rehab without xanax next time....i will try...
    • Posted

yes what i am doing , i only had a few mg long lasting benzo but did anything , i withdraw (awful) i have panic attacks since three weeks and vertigo dizziness in full force so i took a xanax today to be able to go there
    • Posted

Duloxetine, Cymbalta, is an SSNRI and does not supress the vestibular system.  It affects chemicals in the brain that may be unbalanced, serotonin and norepinephrine.  Only the benzodiazapenes should be avoided for therapy.
    • Posted

ok thank you Terry for this information, i ll try without benzo if possibe, i did not know this information, thank you

• Posted

There are things that they can give you for the ongoing anxiety that will not impact the compensation.  Have you considered that you may actually have vestibular migraines?
    • Posted

the doctor did not told me about that for instance....what meds for anxiety if not benzos? thank you
    • Posted

I read some articles where Duloxetine can cause anxiety and panic attacks.
    • Posted

There are several for Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  SSRIs, SNRIs. Tricyclic, Beta Blockers, Anti-convulsants, MAOIs, Azapirones, etc.  Your doctor shoud be able to help find one that can be effective.  Benzos are usually used for immediate symptom relief.  The others are for long term treatment.  I was on gabapentin for a while.
    • Posted

hi Terry , not very well, i withdrawed the last quarter of the hypnotic I took to sleep since one week , impossible to walk and panic attacks....i ll see soon the doctor to know if i change the prozac, i dont know and very afraid to begin once again another AD and have dizziness i already have...thank you to ask me..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.