Inquiring about Hydrocele surgery

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Guys,

I am suffering with hydrocele and which is on left.This is about small orange size.Anyone could you please suggest me the best way to overcome this.And also the best insurance for this.Dont mind guys my english is not that great.Hoping for reply from you guys.Thank you very much.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Have a hydrocelectomy I have had 2 in the past 8 months on my left testicle as some fluid came back after the first one. Im in the US and my insurance covered both procedures in full(they were like $10,000 each time). Your testicle will swell considerably after surgery so dont be concerned I used ice to handle swelling for the first 2 weeks. if you can get two weeks off of work I would suggest doing that just relax ice it and dont lift anything heavy or strain yourself for about a month. Be warned though the testicle may stay a bit larger than normal after all swelling goes down (they say 3-6 months) so far mine has im about 4 months out of my second surgery and its still the size of a small egg.
  • Posted

Hi Nash,

I am going to see the surgeon on 4/27, then I will be able to answer your question.The testicle will continue to get larger, not many options.

Boces

• Posted

In US could you please suggest me one insurance that covers much.
    • Posted

That I cannot help you on, I can tell you I have Blue Cross Blue Shield.
  • Posted

No need to apologize to me for your English, I'm not one of those Americans that thinks the entire rest of the world should speak English well. And besides, your English is very good, nothing to be concerned about. I'd suggest that anybody who is insulted by your command of English tells you something about them - that they're not worth communicating with.

I had Presbyterian insurance and the statement claimed the operation total cost was $8600, but the negotiated cost was $4000. I don't really understand what the $8600 cost means because the hospital was Presyterian as well. Maybe that's the cash price off the street? Maybe it's inflated to make people think it's more expensive than it is? I don't know. But my deductable was $250 which is what I paid so it was a good deal.

The doctor said don't do anything for a week, just stay pretty close to bed, then after a week, do whatever you feel like doing. I didn't take any pain meds and I didn't use ice, I tried them and they didn't seem to do much for me. The thing that made me the most comfortable was to stay horizontal. It's similar to a broken leg, when you stay horizontal it hurts a lot less than when you stand up and the blood pressure increases because it's lower than the rest of the body.

Elsewhere in this form, I posted my experience with the operation, you can probably search under my login ID for it.

• Posted

Thank you,

After the surgery it will go for sure? or it will happen again if we take precautions also? Right now it looks very bad for me I mean uncomfortable with that and it is making me lck of confidence.

• Posted

I can't say anything about your case but my op was last August and everything is still fine. I noticed somebody posted a reply to you that they had 2 ops so theirs didn't go as well, so no way to tell.

I lived with it for probably 5+ years until it started getting uncomfortable and decide to do something about it. Sounds like you're already there and you need to take care of it.

• Posted

There is no guarantee but in most cases yes I was just one of the unlucky one's. The size it is now isn't that major it's about twice the size of the other one there it could still get smaller over the next several months as well (it can take up to 6 months for swelling to go completely away for some people I guess). Ragardless have the surgery you won't regret it, I don't even if it never is back to complete normal.
  • Posted

Get to a Urologist and get the surgery. It is so worth it. Had my doubts after my surgery because the swelling was just as much as the hydrocele but, 6-8 weeks post surgery it is all back to normal. Wear compression breifs and your package will be as good as new! I am a few months post surgery and you can barely see the 1inch incision scar.
  • Posted

I had the sugery 7 months ago.  Can recommend getting it looked after.  If you dont, leave the drain tube in until the Dr. says take it out.  I had excess swelling because I removed it after 4 days.  Everything is back to normal now...and everything is free floating. 
  • Posted

Hi i had an Hydrocell operation in December 2014, it swelled massively after the operation & it was 4 months before it started to go down, it has now gone to smaller than the original hydrocell, i'm due for another scan as they didn't think it had worked properly, but it has gone down so much in the last week i'm thinking of cancelling, i have slight intermitant discomfort, but certainly a lot better than before the op. I can't advise on insurance as i'm in the UK, mine was done on NHS.
  • Posted

I should have mentioned that my surgery was covered under the Canadian Health Care System (BC Health Care).  Except for the monthly premiums, there was no deductible and no charges whatsoever.  That included 3 appointments  with the Urologist, one general practitioner appointment, two ultrasounds, and surgery in the day surgery clinic at the hospital.  
  • Posted

Hi, nash5.  I had the hydrocelectomy two months ago without complications.  My doctor made a cross-cut in my scrotum large enough to remove what he called a "lining" wherein the fluids were being held.  By removing this lining, the swelling could not recur.  You would need to consult a few doctors to get different operation options and then decide.

The swelling will not likely go away on its own and probably will increase over time.  I'm in the US and have Horizon insurance.  They covered everything because this is not elective surgery but necessary.  Good luck!

• Posted

Do I need to consult Neurologist for the Surgery? Please let me know the details and good one in CA,USA.
  • Posted

"Urologist"...though a referral with your family doctor.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.