INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems t...

Posted , 47 users are following.

INSECT BITES: I find it interesting that no-one seems to mention that an insect bite has been the cause of their cellulitis. I was hoping someone would have found a solution to this being a cause... after suffering two bouts of insect bite induced cellulitis, both which effectively put paid to summer for me, one incident meant I was hospitalised and on a drip for two days followed by 10 days of twice daily visits by nurses to administer intravenous anti-biotics plus recovery time afterwards, the other last year, required frequent visits by GP's to drain the horrendous giant yellow blisters that occur through this infection - and again I was off work for 5 weeks at the height of summer and more importantly missed out on booked holidays to boot, I was really hoping someone had found a solution to be being infected in the first place!

If anyone has suffered cellulitis as a result of insect bite and has found a way of preventing this, please let me know! Now that summer is almost here I don't intend to sunbathe in my garden, or even go in my garden without wearing long trousers and mosquito repellent as a back up. It really spoils summer for me now as cellulitis is so painful it's frightening. I'd do anything not to get it again!

Also, does anyone suffer problems with the place where the blisters have been? I seem to suffer frequent itching and soreness on the patch where the blisters have been and wonder if this means there's underlying infection there?

Being someone who looks after themselves, is fit and active and tries to keep healthy, I find this condition really difficult to cope with, I get very distressed as when I've first been infected and the pain is at it's worst I have to get friends to stay with me to look after me as I can't even get to the bathroom unaided, it's so painful, even childbirth wasn't as bad, at least that ended after a relatively short time... this goes on for days and days and days! And no sleep!

And I agree with the lady from Spain, doctors here don't zap it with the right strength of anti-biotics if you get it really badly, that's why i ended up in hospital the first time - if I get it again I'm going to insist on the double dose of different anti-biotics they have ended up using both times as single dose of one anti-biotic did absolutely nothing and meant that it got much worse than it needed to have been.

Apologies if none of this helps anyone, but it makes me feel a lot better to know that others have suffered as I have as no-one else I know has had this, and doesn't know how bad it is sad

[i:50fff95a39]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:50fff95a39]

5 likes, 75 replies

75 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Thank you for agreeing with me re the Doctors' prescription of Low Dosage antibiotics. I firmly believe this to be the case regarding cost. I have a friend who is aware of my history with Cellulitus, who suffered the same problem, and contacted me in distress as her problem was just not clearing up.

She insisted on seeing another Doctor, having had an upsetting disagreement with her normal Doctor. The outcome was that obviously this was normal practice within this Doctors surgery!, as they refused to give her a higher dosage.

After a further 3 weeks of different antibiotics - but symptoms NO better, through desperation she travelled to Spain with a copy of my Spanish prescription for info.

After some 48 hours she felt much - much better, hardly any pain,and within one week was almost back to normal. The Doctor here in Spain agreed, on checking her leg to prescribe EXACTLY the same strong antibiotics as I received, no attitute of "lets try the cheap low dosage first ! "

WHY WHY WHY are GP's in the U.K. not taking this condition seriously.

I made a point of confronting my Doctor in the UK re this subject on my last visit to UK, and was told " well thats how it is " we have to try certain antibiotics first.! When I suggested to him he meant obviously the cheapest he brought the subject to a close. This is rediculous! I would gladly pay in the first place for the stronger, but apparantly this is not possible either. You cant win. At least in my own case if I do suffer the problem again, I know the drugs to clear it up quickly.

For info I have not ( so far ) had another attack since July last year. I will out of interest keep posting comments from time to time, just out of interest, to see if the strong antibiotics prescribed at a very early date, have indeed cleared up the problem.

8)

[i:70aba9db4e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:70aba9db4e]

• Posted

I am so relieved that this is not a problem uncommon to me! I have got cellulitus from bites that I got a month ago! Mty Dr. gave me double dose penicillin - 2grams daily -= and I finnished the course 5 days ago, and the problem has returned today! I am so distressed and tired! The itch is driving me insane!! Has anyone found anything that really works??

I've tried Eurax, and Eurax ;with hydrocortisone, cream E45 for itching, but onon of these work! I'm taking piriton, but it just makes me so drowsy!

Any suggestions I'd be really grateful for!

[i:cc2e71f414]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:cc2e71f414]

• Posted

I just wanted to mention that while in Tenerife a doctor treating my husband for these similar problems mentioned that it is not safe to take antihistimine while taking antibiotics. 

My husband had three bites, separately, with increasingly severe repercussions. Now, six months later, we've just realized that the problem with itching on his calf is probably cellulitis. Have noted your mentions of strong antibiotics when we get to the doctor's; we have also read that athletes foot causes it too, when small scratches between the toes can cause infection to spread upwards via underlying tissue, into the calf, where his problem is. Thank you.

• Posted

Hi Janet - so true about the athletes foot theory and small scratches. With my last bout of cellulitis they examined between the toes repeatedly. Legs and feet have a tendency to dry out and are easy targets for scratches or openings along with athletes feet. A good lotion such as Eucerin and a good foot powder between the toes helps. Changing of socks regularly or often and general good foot health helps thwart off a lot of problems.
    • Posted

My doc said my cellulitis was from athletes foot. I found that a bit strange as i have athletes foot between my baby toes and the next toe over (both feet) every summer and sometimes I have had at least a minor case of it almost the whole season.

That would mean that every summer for 30 years I have had athlete's foot and this one particular summer, I just happened to get cellulitis because of it? I'm not disagreeing with my doctor, I just find that strange. As much as I wanted to attribute it to an insect bite I could not find one!

• Posted

sad

[i:3b18c176d0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:3b18c176d0]

• Posted

I feel very sad for you all. I have just had a second attack of insect bite induced swelling etc this year. i am currently taking erythromycin, fluxopen, diclofenac, steriods and anti-histimine. I had this for the first time last year and couldn't walk, same this year but recovering well. As I also experienced severe all over itching within minutes of the bite, rushing in the ears and faintness I have also been prescribed an epipen - anyone else had similar experiences? What is it that's biting you, I seem to get bitten between 11 & 3 only, the bite is not visible at first but after al the swelling has gone I am left with a very obvious pucture wound - whta is this? Thanks

[i:87892799d0]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:87892799d0]

• Posted

I can't believe there are so many cases out there like mine, but you, Guest, in particular. In August U got a few mosquito bites on my arm and elbow while walking, then another bite on my outer left ankle. Within seconds the ankle bite became so itchy, even the top of my foot was itchy, that I swiftly turned around and headed home to get some anti-itch remedy

It was crazy itchy! The whole foot swelled up and two weeks later, still swollen and red, I went to Dr. and was diagnosed with cellulitis. 10 days of harsh antibiotics cleared the infection but swelling remained. Dr said it was gout, but blood work says otherwise. Still slightly swollen and gets sore to walk on. It's some Inflamation but they don't know why. It's definately not athletes foot though!

I wish everyone the best of luck in dealing with this weird thing. Thanks for writing in!

• Posted

I first had this experience 5 years ago when i received 3 small bites around my left ankle. They were very itchy and having sctarched them a few times my ankle started to swell up. The next morning the swelling was worse and very red on both sides of my ankle. By the evening I could hardly walk and went to A&E and they sent me home with antibiotics. By the following evening it was looking worryingly bad with huge blisters so had to go back to A&E. As soon as they saw my foot they got me a wheelchair and I was having blood tests. Within half an hour I was in a hospital bed and on an antibiotic drip with my foot elevated. This lasted for 6 days before it had started to clear up and I was allowed to go home but spent another week in bed with my foot elevated. It was very worrying at the time but it was a severe case of cellulitis.

More recently, 4 months ago, I was bitten on the back of my hand and this developed into cellulitis overnight. It was like a boxing glove. I had to go to A&E as it was spreading halfway up my fore arm. I was given Flucloxacillin 500mg 1 capsule 4 times a day and Penicillin V 250mg 2 tablets 4 times a day (7days).

Just last week I was bitten on my other ankle....... yes, my foot has swelled up both sides of my ankle and halfway up my shin and calf. Went to the doctors last friday and he reluctantly given the same course of antibiotics as I had a few months ago. I'm glad to say it's clearing it up and keeping my foot elevated has really helped with it healing.

I really don't know why I get this almost everytime I am bitten. I carry an array of creams, mainly Antisan (the one by Aventis) with me everytime I go out and find it's really important to use them as soon as I get a bite. The Antisan I use has been excellent and only if I leave it late putting some on have I had a bad reaction to bites.

One very important thing I've learn't about being bitten..... resist the urge to touch or rub or itch the bite. It will lead to it getting worse very quickly.

• Posted

i have had cellulitis and i dont really know where i got it from.its either from an insect bite or i dont really know. i dont see any insects in my place but everytime i would go home, i just start itching but its just me . i live with people and they dont have the same symptom or itchiness im getting. i dont really know.. im becoming paranoid to this
  • Posted

Hello. I have been searching all over the web to find out why I have gotten 3-4 bouts of cellulitis within less than 9 weeks. I am a 30 year old female that has never heard of cellulitis until Christmas Eve of 2012. I woke up in the middle of the night scratching my arm. Before long it was really warm and swollen. This began at my elbow and the red, swollen area grew out towards my wrist. It made it to about 5 inches from my wrist before I got in to an urgent care and got antibiotics for it. 10 days of antibiotics cured it.

The next bout was about 3 weeks later on the opposite arm as the first episode. Again, I woke up in the middle of the night, scratching my arm. Within 8 hours it went from a raised bump smaller than a dime to large 8'x8' circle of raised, red, hot, swollen flesh. Again, I was given antibiotics. Only for 7 days this time.

A week later I woke up with a swollen eye. Went to the urgent care again and was given antibiotics as well as steroids. This time the doc said it appeared to be an allergic reaction. Not hot or rapidly spreading or red.

A week following that I was bit once again near the same spot as the first episode. I immediately shot up out of bed and rubbed the area down with Dial antibacterial soap. I went to sleep for the rest of the night, woke up in the morning and the bump/bite was gone.

And now, about week since that last close call, I have an episode beginning on my hand. I woke up once again to scratching the side of my left hand. I was so groggy that I laid around in bed awhile before washing the area with the antibacterial soap. It had already begun to swell, but washing it stopped it in its tracks. My had was swollen all of yesterday. Making a fist was uncomfy. The skin was very taut. But, today, I can now see a hard, tiny lump on my pinky finger (which I suppose is the entry point of some bug bite) and I can make a fist comfortably. The skin is not hot. Just a little red. Like an allergic reaction subsiding, but I KNOW that had I not washed immediately with Dial antibacterial, I would have been in the doc's for another round of antibiotics.

This condition is so creepy. Every time I see a doctor they recommend that I check around my home for bugs and handle that issue, if I find there is one, but the first 2 episodes occurred while I was away from home. All other episodes occurred at home, but I sleep in the bed with my boyfriend every night and he has never been bit.

I'm really discouraged at this point.

However, I wanted to share with everyone my "trick" to coping: IMMEDIATELY wash with Dial (or maybe any brand of) antibacterial soap. DO NOT scratch!!! Allow the area to dry and apply an antihistamine cream if the itching is unbearable. It has helped me twice!! has worked 100% of the time.

I wish us all luck and definitive answers from doctors in the future!

• Posted

"However, I wanted to share with everyone my "trick" to coping: IMMEDIATELY wash with Dial (or maybe any brand of) antibacterial soap. DO NOT scratch!!! Allow the area to dry and apply an antihistamine cream if the itching is unbearable. It has helped me twice!! has worked 100% of the time."

I think this is important if the source is external. Mine isn't (see the other thread on this) but, just in case, my consultant perscribed Dermol 500, which is an anti-bacterial soap replcement or moisturiser, presumably with the aim of reducing the amount of bacteria on the skin in case of a bite (or cut or crack or puncture) and then you can use more to wash it when you spot it. So it'd be worth people asking their doctor about it.

• Posted

Hello! My story is a little different; I just experienced my second bout with Cellulitus this week(03/15/15). I'm puzzled because it happened both times after a weekend trip; the first episodes happened on the way back and the second a day after I got back from a Drag Racing event. My eposides usually begin by me being very cold and then going into chills. After that happens my body begins to heat up all over; the first episodes I played doctor hoping that it would go away and instead caused more damage by creating a sore on my left calf which had to be treated along with the the episode(The sore appeared because the fever rasied too high on the leg). My Doctors seem to be reactive instead of proactive which doesn't sit well with me. I am looking for ways of being proactive so I don't have to go through hurriable sickness. The only reason that I think of why it's happening on the road is possibly bed bugs on the hotel bed that I sleeping in which by the way is a well known chain. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for listening!
    • Posted

Penelope4 - although it's been quite some time since you submitted your post, I am posting this response anyway with the hope that you'll get it; and as well to share my information & knowledge about this very odd malady with others who may relate to it. What I find most intriguing about your experience is that mine shared commonalities with yours that I'll explain in a minute. But I can't shake the feeling that there is something behind this that may offer a clue to the origin and reason for the whole scenario. What I am referring to is you stated you got it first on one arm; and then on the other arm in the same place on the arm. Then it occurred again weeks later on the first arm again.  The same thing happened to me except it was on my hands.

First,  I get what appears to be a small insect bite on my right hand ; on the right side of the back of the hand, situated halfway between my little finger & the wrist.  A day later, it formed a blister and then started swelling and getting red. The redness proceeded to spread fairly quickly and it itched like mad. I took Amoxicillin, which cured it up. But the site of the bite healed in an odd kind of way that wasn't normal; and it took like, three weeks to fully heal.  It wouls suddenly start itching again out of the blue even though it appeared to have healed completely. One night I woke up in the process of scratching my hand madly and it started getting all red and I could feel it wanting to start swelling, so I got myself under control and didn't scratch anymore.

Then last night, I noticed what appeared to be a bite on the exact same part of my hand - but this time it was the opposite hand. The condition proceeded in an identical manner as had the first one.- first the blister formed, then the swelling & redness started spreading; again itching like mad on the whole back of my hand. It is important to note that I have never had this sort of reaction to an insect bite before these last two.  It's very odd, I think; that we both got them on one arm/hand; and then the other arm/hand in the same place; and I can't shake the feeling that there's something to that.  I'm in the United States, and have read more than one story about the experiments scientists are doing with genetically altering mosquitoes and then releasing them into the population ... which gives me the impression that we're the guinea pigs they're doing their little "experiments" on!!   I know, I know ... I sound completely wacko!! I'm not familiar with exactly what cellulitis looks like or acts like, so I am not sure that "cellulitis" is what I had - so I just described what happened and what it looked like.  If you indeed get this, let me know how you're doing!

• Posted

I forgot to mention in my previous post, that I use Lavender scented skin lotion all over m exposed areas, and to does work to repel mosquitoes.

The two times I got bitten (if it indeed was a mosquito bite), I didn't have the lotion on. 

• Posted

I too have experienced the same symptoms. A couple years back I was working at my old job at a production plant. I was standing at my station when suddenly my ankle started to itch after about 30mins the itching got so bad I took a break to see what was going on. Befor I could even get my boot off I felt the swelling and pressure. The redness and swelling was so bad I could barley walk. 2 days later it went away. I chopped it up as a bug bite even though my job was a food grade clean facility. Fast forward 2weeks same exact thing happend I was at work on the packaging line with my boots on when my opposite ankle started to itch just as my other ankle had followed by swelling redness and pain. Now two years later my ankle is angry again. Im with you something going on. And I dont think its your text book cellulitis.
    • Posted

forgot to mention that in all the Articles I've read on cellulitis itching is not a symptom. So if it's cheating is typically not a symptom of cellulitis then why are we all itching?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.