Insonmia again

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've been dealing with insonmia for a while now and its had its ups and downs, as well as rebounds that happen frequently. So im currently going through a rebound after a worrying i might not sleep, I'm currently constantly waking up or i jolt awake right at the moment im about to fall asleep which is odd since i was sleeping perfectly fine for the last few months. I had moments like this before but im unsure how i overcame it. does anybody have any suggestions? Note that mind relaxations dosent do much for me and what works are usually medicine or depriving my sleep for weeks until i pass out bascially but i cant do that currently in my life. Also does anybody have any preventious measures for rebounds to happen less?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

My gp prescribed zopiclone but i wasnt happy taking it. Changed to lowest dose mirtazapine which is sedating and helped.
    • Posted

Is it over the counter? Also is it more of  a sedation to the mind? The only drug that i used that worked for me was hydroxyzine which alievated anxiety mostly.
    • Posted

No, it is prescription only.  Used at higher doses for depression. Gp,told me a lot of her older parients take low dose for sleep.
    • Posted

Hi jamm,

Sometimes a small dose of one of the older over-the-counter antihistamines can help. Back in the days when I had frequent insomnia, I sometimes used to take 10mg of phenergan, but only for two or three nights in a row, just to get some half-decent sleep. Then I'd tough it out for the next week or so. But it has to be one of the older types of antihistamine. Some of the modern ones are designed not to make you too sleepy. Ask your pharmacist.

However, don't forget that you quickly develop tolerance to antihistamines, just like prescription sleeping pills, so you must avoid taking them every night.

If you do want to try an antihistamine it's important to take it about an hour before going to bed. They're not knock-out pills, and won't have an immediate effect. If you wait till bedtime before you take it, it will take at least an hour for the effects to kick in, by which time you'll be so anxious it probably won't work at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.