Intercourse and UTI

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello, so I get UTIs almost everytime after sex. I was on an antibiotic to take after sex but this time around it isn't working... I'm wondering if it could be due to my partner going to deep and hitting my bladder? In certain positions I do feel pain but not to the point where I need him to stop. In the past I never had UTIs after sex or ever so I'm wondering if this could be it???

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

When I first got married I started having a lot of UTI too. My doctor called it the honeymoon disease. Because it is so common to get it during sex. You need to be sure you pee after sex to get rid of any bacteria that may have entered during sex. Also, I'm not saying you need this, I'm certainly no doctor, but mine was finally cured when the doctor dialeted my urethra. A very painful treatment. But it worked.

• Posted

I've been on a probiotic for sometime. I got my blood test back and everything on that was in perfect shape. I'm going to see the urologist next week and hopefully dialating it wont be the only answer! My Dr. i went to today believes I may have something anatomically wrong.

• Posted

Oh I hope that he's right about you not needing to get a dialation.

• Posted

sarah, I never used to get UTIs after sex with my husband in my 20s and 30s, but then when I got to be around 46, I got one almost every time it seemed. So I personally think it has to do with age and not being able to fight off the bacteria. After having a UTI, the lining doesn't heal to be as resistant as it was pre-UTI. Taking feminine probiotics helped me, as well as being gentler. ha. Also taking a hot shower almost immediately after sex.

• Posted

Ha, I have forgotten what sex is (eligible blokes of 65 up are a rare commodity I find!) but one theory I have is that UTI bacteria (usually E. coli) are never completely killed off with antibiotic and small colonies can hide potentially in pockets in the colon, bladder and other organs in the vacinity. I woner if during intercourse and orgasm they are released? Also, want to add two things - I agree with Emmy - a good probiotic for that specific region of a woman's body is very beneficial and the other thing is that I know amkoffee had a very painful experience with urethral dilation, (but I believe it was originally done many years ago - hope it's OK saying this amkoffee) but I had it done under light anaesthetic as a day patient in hospital a year ago and it has been very helpful indeed and there was no pain involved and no adverse after affects at all.

• Posted

You know what Louie, it was not done under under anesthesia. In fact it was done in the doctor's office. But I'm looking at having to have it done again and I was just talking to the nurse yesterday to see how they do it these days and I found that they do it the same way in the doctor's office. Oh they use a little numbing agent on the area but that's it. And this is a different doctor than I had when I did when I was 20. But frankly I think it's barbaric to do it awake. Are you in the USA? I wonder if that makes the difference.

• Posted

Hi, no I am in the UK or to be precise in the Channel Islands, though I am sure that is of no consequence and how it is done here would be how it is done in England etc. Are you in the US? I feel for you if that is how they intend to do it and not at all sure I would want it done that way - barbaric indeed. Could you come over to the UK to get it done? It would not be an expensive op I think and might be worth it if you were allowed. 
    • Posted

Yes I am in the USA. I would love nothing more than to go to the UK for this procedure. Why not. I traveled to another state to have surgery done on my back. Maybe I can talk my hubby in to it. After all he lived in England once when he was a child. He can remember living in an apartment that he could look out the window and see Buckingham Palace.
    • Posted

OK, I have just checked on practice patterns for urethral dilation in the UK and it says this: Most urologists perform this procedure only under general anaesthesia (90%), while 7% always use local anaesthesia; 18% perform dilatation under either local or general anaesthesia depending on patient's condition. Three consultants said that spinal anaesthesia is one of their options. On another website it says:  Normally, a full general anaesthetic will be used and you will be asleep throughout the procedure. In some patients, the anaesthetist may also use an epidural anaesthetic which improves or minimises pain post-operatively. Found a place called CircleReading Hospital which does self funding private treatments (looks pretty good on initial viewing) and the cost for bladder dilation is £1,669. Given that our pound is now worth diddly-squat, I reckon that's cheap at the price!! Certainly worth you checking out. Good luck! That would be a holiday with a difference 😃

• Posted

I talked to my husband about it last night and he was all for it. Lol Sounds lovely to me but we have a business we have to tend to. So I don't think we'll be able to come. Maybe after we retire if I have this problem again. And at age 55 retirement is just around the corner.

• Posted

So it turned out that I have IC and that my bladder could onky hold 200 mL instead of 1000mL!
  • Posted

What is IC?
    • Posted

IC is interstitial cystitis and its the inflammation of the bladder lining. It has the same frequency and burning pain as a UTI. I don't know much more about it but it is linked to foods and such!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.